• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Star Trek Comes to Blu-ray

Started by Geekyfanboy, January 23, 2009, 08:03:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

Blu-ray Update: TOS Season 1 + TOS Movies Coming May 2009  January 23, 2009
by Bill Hunt

As reported on Thursday at Digital Bits, select release details and cover art images of Star Trek sets on Blu-ray have leaked from European studio sources, but there's been conflicting information as to what exactly the release will entail here in the USA. We've checked in repeatedly with Digital Bits and TrekMovie industry sources and we're now able to bring you accurate, updated details.

Trek and Blu-ray in 2009
Keep in mind that none of this is official until actual studio announcements are made, and these details are still subject to change. But here's the latest...

As originally reported back in November on The Digital Bits and TrekMovie, the first six Star Trek feature films will be released on Blu-ray in the USA in May in a six-film "Kirk/Spock" (or Original Series film era) box set, each with remastered picture and sound. All six films will be in their original theatrical versions. On Thursday RELEASE.no reported that that the European set would not include Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, however sources indicate that Final Frontier will be in the USA set. Other regions may offer different disc configurations/packaging options (the leaked image below suggests the first three films will be in a trilogy package in Europe).

At least some new extras have been created for new Blu-ray releases, including "famous fan" commentary tracks for each film, as well as new featureettes (for example select scenes from a Klingon performance of Hamlet by the Commedia Beauregard will be packed with Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - see previous report TrekMovie story). It's unknown yet whether these will be Blu-ray exclusive, or if there will be a simultaneous standard DVD release. It is also expected that the four Next Generation feature films (Generations, First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis) will get the Blu-ray treatment, at a later date.

[note US packaging and configuration may be different]

TOS coming to Blu-ray
The biggest news we've learned is that CBS will finally release Star Trek: The Original Series - Season One on Blu-ray on the same street date in May as the movies. The release is currently planned to include both the original broadcast versions as well as the new Remastered versions of each episode. If this happens as planned, it's obviously very cool news, though we're still waiting to hear whether the Blu-rays will include all of the special features that were offered with the previous DVD and HD-DVD/DVD Combo releases of the series.

[May not be final or apply to USA release]

May is still far enough away that it could be a month or more before we see official announcements, but The Digital Bits and Trek Movie.com are in contact with the studio and we hope to have more to report from them very soon.

Stay tuned...

Rico

About time!  Guess I'll need a PS3 by then.  Hopefully the price will drop like has been speculated.  Timing is all good in conjunction with the new movie.

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Rico on January 23, 2009, 08:07:19 AM
About time!  Guess I'll need a PS3 by then.  Hopefully the price will drop like has been speculated.  Timing is all good in conjunction with the new movie.
I have a friend who works for Best Buy.. he told me that PS3 will drop to $299 in April....

Bryancd

WOOT! SO glad I waited  before getting new DVD gear!

Dangelus

Oh dear, this is going to cost me money!

Omne

finally i have put off buying the current standard version or the HD version. hopingthey would finally come to blue-ray.. i better start saving now ..

X

Just bought another HD television for the bedroom. I guess I need to get bluray now...

Ktrek

I hope the Digital Bits rumor is true! The only Star Trek I am interested in buying again on Blu-Ray are all 10 movies and TOS-R. That's it for me and all Paramount will ever get from me again on re-purchases for new formats. I'm quite satisfied with DVD for the rest of the series.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Dangelus

Quote from: Ktrek on January 23, 2009, 08:16:00 PM
I hope the Digital Bits rumor is true! The only Star Trek I am interested in buying again on Blu-Ray are all 10 movies and TOS-R. That's it for me and all Paramount will ever get from me again on re-purchases for new formats. I'm quite satisfied with DVD for the rest of the series.

Kevin

For me a total remaster job of TNG like they did with TOS would seal the deal!

matthew

cant wait to get my hands on voyager in blue ray  ;D.

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: matthew on February 19, 2009, 07:11:02 AM
cant wait to get my hands on voyager in blue ray  ;D.

Yay.. another Voyager Fan.... :)

M-5

I think I might buy the remastered episodes, but that's about it.

Meds

I still do not own a Blue Ray player. I'm still persuming that a Blueray player will play standard DVD's. If this is so then i may buy one and start buying BR discs. If not then i'll stick with my DVD player. Love the TOS design. i think May is going to be an expensive Trek month.

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on February 19, 2009, 01:03:16 PM
I still do not own a Blue Ray player. I'm still persuming that a Blueray player will play standard DVD's. If this is so then i may buy one and start buying BR discs. If not then i'll stick with my DVD player. Love the TOS design. i think May is going to be an expensive Trek month.

Yes Blu-rays play standard DVD's.. in fact I'm told they enhance the standard DVD's. I'm waiting for the price to fall on the PS3/Blu-ray player in April.. then I'll have blu-ray.

Meds

Ooooooo, then I may have to convince the wife that its the best thing to buy to help for when the baby arrives ;)