• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

How many of you would have preferred Voyager with Chakotay Captain.

Started by alanp, December 18, 2008, 11:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celestialteapot

For me Chakotay was as exciting as a wet fish... sorry. I really liked Janeway and kinda have a bit of thing for her :blush

I've often wondered if the dislike (sometimes boarding on hate) that some people felt for Voyager was to do with it having a female captain.
This question has baffled mankind for all eternity... why don't sheep shrink in the rain?

Feathers

Quote from: celestialteapot on December 19, 2008, 02:14:11 AM
I've often wondered if the dislike (sometimes boarding on hate) that some people felt for Voyager was to do with it having a female captain.
I'm not sure if it was because of 'a' female Captain, or because it was 'that' female Captain.

Personally, I like her - both the character and actress - forceful when necessary but friendly where possible.

I think the whole 'Dorm Mother' thing was probably more Janeway than Mulgrew i.e. I think she was deliberately written that way. Given their predicament she had to concern herself with more than just 'the mission' and have more concern for the crew than a 'normal' captain would probably have needed to. Ther's no way to rotate someone off the ship at the next Starbase after all.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Meds

I really liked Janeway, i thought Kate played her very well. Chakotay was a bit wooden at times but still a good number two. I would have loved a film with Janeway in the lead.

alanp

The main problems I had with her was her smoker's voice and her need to always say a catch phrase like in a Schwarzenegger movie.  Example, when she would say "Time's Up!" while crashing Voyager into the time ship in Year of Hell part 2.

I know the Sisco character origanly wasn't black but they made him black so they could get Avery Brooks to play him.  It never felt to me that they were trying to force that to work.  It just happened naturally.  With Janeway, I think the producers went into it demanding, we must do a female captain this time.

I brought up Winn earlier and since then I had a thought.  The Thirty Days episode reminds me of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. In Cuckoo's Nest, the point of the movie is that men naturally want to be free but are controlled and subdued by women.  Much like Paris being thrown in jail (by a female captain) and demoted for his free spirit initiative to save the ocean.

Meds

I had no problems with her voice, in fact i'd go so far to say that i found her huskiness rather sexy. She oozed authority but with feeling. Now Avery Brooks comes from the Shatner school of acting, all stops and pauses. ;)

X

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on December 19, 2008, 02:08:30 PM
I had no problems with her voice, in fact i'd go so far to say that i found her huskiness rather sexy. She oozed authority but with feeling. Now Avery Brooks comes from the Shatner school of acting, all stops and pauses. ;)
You are joking about Brooks right? I mean if I needed to trust any Captain with my life, it would be Ben Sisko without hesitation or regret. I would even go on record and say that for the job that he was hired to do, Ben Sisko out performed every other Captain while doing everything in his power to protect the ideals of Starfleet and the UFP. I'd serve with all the other Captains, I'd be hesitant about janeway, but I'd do it, but I would die proudly under Sisko's command if necessary because I know that he wouldn't let it be for nothing.

Meds

Yeah i am joking mate i really liked Sisko, In fact again like Janeway i wished they had a film with Sisko in it. I adored (with a passion) the tribbles tribute episode. I always had a this thing of feeling a bit empty at the end of DS9. Don't know why. I just would have liked to have seen Ben given a starship and we could then have had a TV film or two. Thats a personal thing though i like to have open options. I find it hard to choose between Voyager and DS9, some of my favorite characters were on DS9, but i love a good traveling program like what Voyager was. Either way how cool would it have been to have had Janeway and Sisko together in something.

billybob476

Sisko is my favorite Captian by far. However, another thing you have to think about when you consider Janeway's 'captaining' ability: She was put in a very strange and very stressful situation. Throughout the series you see the responsibility getting to her, but I'm amazed she didn't have a complete breakdown. Makes you wonder how Picard or Sisko would have handled being stranded alone so far from home. Would they have held their ground on principles like Janeway did?

Kirk-Fu

I am one of those people who enjoys ALL of the Trek series, yet consider DS9 my least favorite. But Voyager was fun, and I think Kate was the perfect choice.
First of all, I think she carried herself well as a Captain. I completely bought her as skipper of a starship.
Secondly, I do think she and her voice are very sexy...GRROWL!
Thirdly, I could have enjoyed Voyager every bit as much with no Chakotay. I've seen Beltran in other things, and he isnt a very good actor.

I've always felt Janeway was very Kirk-like. Diplomatic, but willing and quick to throw a punch. I think thats why Voyager and Enterprise appealed to me more. The 'Trek' part of Star Trek is important to me.

Meds

Enterprise is still at the bottom of my list. But that is through ignorance and i freely admit that. I've seen every TOS, TOSC, TNG, VGR, DS9 but not all of the Enterprise series and since I've been listening to Rico's talk on them I've got more intrested and now seek them out on my sky channels. And i am liking what i see.

billybob476

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on December 30, 2008, 03:08:11 AM
Enterprise is still at the bottom of my list. But that is through ignorance and i freely admit that. I've seen every TOS, TOSC, TNG, VGR, DS9 but not all of the Enterprise series and since I've been listening to Rico's talk on them I've got more intrested and now seek them out on my sky channels. And i am liking what i see.
Enterprise is a lot like DS9 in this respect. It tends to be more story-arc oriented. You really need to see it in order (or at least each season in order) especially season 3. It's gotten to the point where I can't really choose my favourite anymore aside from saying DS9 is my favourite, even then it only edges out the rest by a nose. The rest are all on equal footing for different reasons.

Dan M

Meds

Feathers

Quote from: billybob476 on December 30, 2008, 05:34:51 AM
Enterprise is a lot like DS9 in this respect. It tends to be more story-arc oriented. You really need to see it in order (or at least each season in order) especially season 3. It's gotten to the point where I can't really choose my favourite anymore aside from saying DS9 is my favourite, even then it only edges out the rest by a nose. The rest are all on equal footing for different reasons.
If you only watch one season of Enterprise all through then make sure it's season 3. At that stage they'd got their act together and knew exactly what they were about. Seasons 4 to 7 really looked very promising if they'd carried on in the same vein.

The small matter of the cancellation got in the way, of course. Season 4 was good but very fragmented as a result although there are a number of good 2 or 3 parters in there.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Tyler

I've always find it interesting that so many folks don't like Janeway as captain. I felt she was a great blend of  a "take charge" and "make the hard choices" attitude, while really caring about her crew. I felt she came across as seeing the big picture and making good decisions. I thought she was very clever and displayed a commanding presence. I also felt that Kate Mulgrew played the part very well. I had no problem liking her or believing her in the role.

Maybe  it wouldn't be bad having a dorm mother as the captain, especially so far from home.