• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

How many of you would have preferred Voyager with Chakotay Captain.

Started by alanp, December 18, 2008, 11:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

I was having a discussion and we kind of agreed that if Chakotay was the captain and Janeway was the Maqui leader that Voyager was chasing. 

Voyager often had the problem of the rest of the cast was more interesting than Janeway.

How different do you think it would have been?

Rico

It's hard for me to imagine that.  I was fine with Janeway.  I thought it was interesting having a woman as Captain.  But certainly the show would have been very different.

billybob476

I liked how Chakotay was Janeway's conscience a lot of the time. More then any other first officer in any other Trek series, this is where Chakotay shined. I couldn't see their roles reversed.

Geekyfanboy

I would have to disagree with you.. One of the main reasons I loved Voyager was because of her strong female Captain. I thought the Janeway character was very interesting and complex. I think she developed very well over the seven seasons.

I couldn't see Chakotay as Captain of a Starship.. he never had that presence like Janeway did.

X

I would like to respectfully disagree with Kenny on that one. I think that Chakotay would make a fine captain. He was one at the start of the series. My problem is that if Chakotay was the Captain in Voyager, there wouldn't have been a series. I don't see Chakotay stranding his people by destroying the Caretaker Array and interfering with a sovereign culture.

While I understand what janeway did, I never could accept the reasoning behind them getting stranded in the Delta Quadrant.

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Just X on December 18, 2008, 12:16:40 PM
I would like to respectfully disagree with Kenny on that one. I think that Chakotay would make a fine captain. He was one at the start of the series.

If you noticed I said Captain of a "Starship". He was captain of a Maqui fighter. And what I really meant was I couldn't see Robert Beltram (Chakotay) play the Captain. In my opinion he doesn't have that kind of presence like Kate Mulgrew, Patrick Stewart, Avery Brooks or even The Shat.. when you see those actors in the role you feel like they are a person of authority. I just never felt that with Robert. And as always this is just my opinion.

Blackride

I always thought he was kinda weak compared to Riker,Spock, and Dax. He was just perect to play second fiddle. Voyager was my third favorite series though  :).
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Bryancd

I really liked Janeway a lot, Chakotay was good, but not Captain material.

alanp

I think sometimes she did do OK.  Others, it just felt really forced because they really wanted a female captain.  There are definitely women in the Star Trek Universe that could have pulled it off. In my opinion, Jadzia Dax, Tasha Yar, and T'Pal had more of a commanding presence than Janeway did.  Janeway seemed like the dorm mother of the Starship.   

Bryancd

Quote from: AlanP on December 18, 2008, 04:11:06 PM
I think sometimes she did do OK.  Others, it just felt really forced because they really wanted a female captain.  There are definitely women in the Star Trek Universe that could have pulled it off. In my opinion, Jadzia Dax, Tasha Yar, and T'Pal had more of a commanding presence than Janeway did.  Janeway seemed like the dorm mother of the Starship.   

Jadzia, Tasha, and T'Pal?! I don't see any of them having the presence of a Kate Mulgrew.

Ktrek

Since I am a huge fan of classic movies I always thought Mulgrew was way too much like Kate Hepburn. I certainly don't think that Chokotay would have been a better captain. I personally think that someone else should have played the role. Mulgrew comes across as too "forced" and her authority does not seem real to me. I love the show but Janeway is my least favorite character of Voyager.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

alanp

There were times I thought she was really exciting such as Endgame, Relativity, and the Q episodes.  But in Year of Hell and 11:59 I kept thinking this is almost like having Captain Katherine Pulaski or Captain Winn Adami. Just my opinion.  

feek61

One thing that drives me crazy about Voyager is that the stories rarley centered around the main characters.  On TOS most of the stories centered around Kirk, Spock and McCoy (mostly Kirk).  It seems a majority of the stories centered around Kes, Nelix and  7 of 9.  I for one am not a big Chakotay and feel he was pretty weak and added little.  In fact, he annoys me a lot of the time.

Will

wraith1701

Quote from: AlanP on December 18, 2008, 04:35:34 PM
 ...But in Year of Hell and 11:59 I kept thinking this is almost like having Captain Katherine Pulaski or Captain Winn Adami. Just my opinion.  

:jawdrop   YIKES!  "Captain Winn Adami"?  Excuse me while I grab some sandpaper and try to scrub that concept out of my brain (LOL)

But seriously; I can't imagine anyone but Janeway commanding Voyager.  At first, Mulgrew (sp?) kind of grated on me, but over the years, she grew on me.  I think she was one of the finer Starship Captains we've had the chance to see in Trek-- She commanded the respect of her crew, she was a firm decision maker, and she stuck to her guns, even if some of her decisions were questionable.  There's a saying that goes something like "making a bad decision is better than not making a decision at all".  This is especially true in a leadership position.  For some reason, whenever I think of Janeway, her strength and decisiveness are the two traits that always come to mind.

M-5

I really like Captain Janeway.  I thought she was an excellent Starship captain.  I really can't see their roles reversed.