• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Treks in Sci-Fi Book Club

Started by Duffster, November 06, 2007, 08:20:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wraith1701

I think that this is a great idea; sign me up! 

I think for starters, we should stick to Star Trek (or Star Wars) books.  Perhaps we could post suggestions, then Duffster could post a poll listing the most popular suggestions.  The winner of the poll becomes the book of the month, and those who wish to read it can sign up for the discussion; those who don't can wait for the next selection.

As far as the discussion format goes, how about using a weekly discussion schedule?

For example-  Once a book is selected, the club members are given a week to read the first chapter.  After the week has passed, a thread is started to discuss Chapter One.  The group could then discuss that chapter for the next week, while they read chapter two.  At the end of week two, a Chapter Two thread is started, and so on.  That way, the members could be free to post in either the most current chapter thread, or if they haven't gotten to that chapter yet, they can post in the earlier threads.  This would allow folks to return to discuss earlier parts of the book, regardless of which chapter the club is focusing on.  It would also give members the freedom to discuss the chapter they are on without worrying about having later chapters spoiled. 

billybob476

The problem with one chapter for week is it could take a year to read a book! Maybe we need an approximate page count, say 100 pages, corrected to the closest end of chapter.

KingIsaacLinksr

Hmm.  The only issue I see with this is the time scale.  Unless I'm mis-reading all this, we would be rushing some people and some people would be done quickly.  Me, I read fairly quickly.  /yawn  Wow, I'm way too tired.  Anyway, to me this just seems something like the RPG has become.  Are we going to do the same thing of it just being an exclusive thing that other people have to sign up for?  (I'm not saying its bad, I'm just trying to clarify what this book club is about)

King Linksr
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

wraith1701

Quote from: billybob476 on November 06, 2007, 12:36:56 PM
The problem with one chapter for week is it could take a year to read a book! Maybe we need an approximate page count, say 100 pages, corrected to the closest end of chapter.

That's a good point.  Maybe we could divide the selected book into 4 sections (one quarter is read each week)?  I don't want to make things too complicated, just throwing out ideas.

QuoteHmm.  The only issue I see with this is the time scale.  Unless I'm mis-reading all this, we would be rushing some people and some people would be done quickly.  Me, I read fairly quickly.  /yawn  Wow, I'm way too tired.  Anyway, to me this just seems something like the RPG has become.  Are we going to do the same thing of it just being an exclusive thing that other people have to sign up for?  (I'm not saying its bad, I'm just trying to clarify what this book club is about)

King Linksr

You bring up a good point as well.  I don't see why the discussion shouldn't be open to whoever wants to discuss the book. 

P.S.- Get some sleep. ;)

QuoteI haven't kept current on either the Star Wars novels, nor Star Trek novels. I am neutral on which one we do first. Also remember we need to give a week or so for people to procure the novel we will be reading. Lets get 4 or 5 suggestions, then we can put up a take a vote.

Duffster

Here are some suggestions:

Star Trek: Resistance
Star Trek: Q&A
Star Trek: Before Dishonor
Star Trek: Imzadi

While I'm thoroughly enjoying the Star Wars: Legacy of the Force series, I think that it is too problematic to be used here.  The books are all to tightly woven together, and require the reader to have a pretty extensive background in the Star Wars EU to fully understand what is going on.  If Star Wars books are chosen, I think we should stick to Stand-Alone books which are easily accessible to folks new to the EU.  Some suggestions:

Star Wars: Allegiance
Star Wars: Death Star
Darth Bane: Path of Destruction

Jen

I've finished 3 out of 7 of your suggestions Wraith.  :) And I started on Death Star... if we add Death Star to the list we vote on, I'll stop where I am (two chapters in) until the vote is over. If another book wins the vote I think I may sit out on the first book everyone reads. Regardless of which book is chosen,  I'll be happy that we have finally started a Treks In Sci-Fi book club!  :cheering
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

billybob476

Not sure if people can still get thier hands on it, but Prime Directive by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens is an amazing original Trek book.

http://www.amazon.ca/Prime-Directive-Judith-Reeves-Stevens/dp/0671707728/

I'm not too up to date on Star Trek so other can suggest some compelling Star Trek stuff.

wraith1701

I just thought of another Star Trek book that might be a candidate for the book club- Star Trek: Federation.  It's been a while since I read it, but I remember enjoying it.  It features both the Next Generation and TOS crews,as well as characters and events from the Zeke Cochrane Pre-Federation era.  Part of the story gives some background on how the United Federation of Planets may have come into existence, and I think the Romulan War plays a part.

I'm not sure if any of the future-historical events have been overruled by Star Trek: Enterprise, but I think it would be interesting to see whether or not the story still fits in with Star Trek canon.

QuoteRegardless of which book is chosen,  I'll be happy that we have finally started a Treks In Sci-Fi book club!

Same here, Jen.   :)

Duffster

Well since length of books, ease of reading, and other factors vary from book to book, we will just need to adjust our reading schedule, based on the book. I will put a poll up right now listing all the books that have been talked about so far.

I think we should try to have a decision by this weekend on the first book, at that point we can figure out how many chapters per week. I am looking forward to this also, it's always fun to get everyones viewpoint on the book you are reading.

One thing I am worried about though is the depth of the conversation. SW/ST books have never really been categorised as "deep" books. I hope we have enough depth in these books to keep us talking about them from week to week. We may find we need to move to some more serious SF to keep things interesting. No don't go thinking I am being snobbish against these books, some of them are fantastic. I just think we many need to be selective on which ones we pick to read.

Duffster
Duffster is, The HugoNaut
www.thehugonaut.com

Rico

I would suggest to alternate the type of book and mix it up a bit from time to time.  I certainly wouldn't just stick to TREK or SW books.  Looking forward to this.

jedijeff

I am looking forward to this. I am a bit of a slow reader like Jen as well, but hopefully I can keep up. I agree with mixing it up as well, as from reading through the comments, some like the Star Trek/Star Wars books and other Like traditional type sci-fi books. I will admit I mostly read Star Trek/Star Wars books, but this looks like it might be a good opportunity to learn and read some other books outside of those.

billybob476

Well we can start with ST/SW. A fun book I read awhile back but wouldn't mind re-reading is Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton.

http://www.amazon.com/Pandoras-Star-Peter-F-Hamilton/dp/0345461622

wraith1701

Quote from: billybob476 on November 06, 2007, 04:28:17 PM
Well we can start with ST/SW. A fun book I read awhile back but wouldn't mind re-reading is Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton.

http://www.amazon.com/Pandoras-Star-Peter-F-Hamilton/dp/0345461622
I've been thinking about re-visiting some of Peter Hamilton's books lately.  I read the Reality Dysfunction way back in high school, but never managed to pick up the rest of the Night's Dawn Trilogy.  I remember being captivated by the whole Adamist / Edenist split in humanity.  Also, being a big space-ship geek, I thought the idea of having living, sentient ships- the Voidhawks- was just too cool. 

...Man; I think I'm going to have to check out Half Price Books tomorrow. :D

Duffster

Quote...Man; I think I'm going to have to check out Half Price Books tomorrow.

Probably my favorite store ....EVER!!!!!

Duffster
Duffster is, The HugoNaut
www.thehugonaut.com

wraith1701

Quote from: Duffster on November 06, 2007, 05:02:06 PM
Quote...Man; I think I'm going to have to check out Half Price Books tomorrow.

Probably my favorite store ....EVER!!!!!

Duffster

I hear you, man.  When I lived in Austin, there were 4 within a 10 to 30 min. drive from my home.  I could go on a book run knowing that at least one of them would have the book I was looking for, no matter what it was.  Here in Louisville, we only have one.  Still, even if the particular book I'm looking for at the moment isn't available, I know that I'll find something worth picking up.  Definitely a very cool store.

Ktrek

Quote from: Duffster on November 06, 2007, 03:43:15 PM
One thing I am worried about though is the depth of the conversation. SW/ST books have never really been categorised as "deep" books. I hope we have enough depth in these books to keep us talking about them from week to week. We may find we need to move to some more serious SF to keep things interesting. No don't go thinking I am being snobbish against these books, some of them are fantastic. I just think we many need to be selective on which ones we pick to read.

Duffster

I think that is what I was trying to suggest earlier when I mentioned I would much rather read some classic sci-fi. Star Trek and Star Wars books do not really lend themselves to thoughtful or provacative conversation. And I'm not trying to be negative. Remember I have over 700 Star Trek books in my library and buy everything as it's released.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine