• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Will there be a 7th movie?

Started by Captain Jean-Luc Picard, June 09, 2007, 02:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

At one point, George Lucas had plans to follow up the Star Wars trilogy with a prequel trilogy and then a sequel trilogy, but I've been told by a friend (he's a huge fan) that George Lucas decided not to make the sequel trilogy.  Still, they could always do a 7th movie with a fresh start.  Do you think they'll ever make a 7th movie, or is this saga done and over with? :confused

Rico

As far as movies, the saga is over.  George has repeated this many times.

Dan M

Lucas definitely claimed between Star Wars and Empire that it was a trilogy of trilogies.  He has since backed off that claim.

Will there be more movies?  Of course.  How long we'll have to wait is the question.  For all we know, the next SW film could be a reimagining 40 years from now with some new kid playing Luke, and an ancient Ashton Kutcher playing Ben Kenobi.  :)

Look at all the crap movies Hollywood makes out of ancient, mildly successful TV series.  Even if GL is against it now, at some point, he or his heirs won't be able to resist the money.

Geekyfanboy

I don't think there will ever be a seventh movie.. but I do believe they will make more Star Wars films.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

For some reason, my post vanished.  :confused

Quote from: pickard on June 09, 2007, 02:43:08 PM
Lucas definitely claimed between Star Wars and Empire that it was a trilogy of trilogies.  He has since backed off that claim.
I wonder why?  :confused

QuoteWill there be more movies?  Of course.  How long we'll have to wait is the question.  For all we know, the next SW film could be a reimagining 40 years from now with some new kid playing Luke, and an ancient Ashton Kutcher playing Ben Kenobi.  :)
A remake of the original movie would technically be a 7th movie, but when I ask if there will be a 7th movie, I mean in the form of a continuation.  A 7th movie could take place after Return of the Jedi and feature the rebellion rising and finishing off the Imperial Empire now that the Emperor and Darth Vader are gone.

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on June 09, 2007, 02:54:46 PM
I don't think there will ever be a seventh movie.. but I do believe they will make more Star Wars films.
You don't think there will be a seventh movie, but you believe there will be a seventh movie.  Um... what? :confused

Dan M

Why would Lucas back off his plan to make 9 movies? I don't think he wants to make them.

I don't think it's likely that we'll see Mark Hamill playing Luke fighting remnants of the Empire.  I think we'll see a new Star Wars movie in the next  20 years.  It won't be a remake, but will be set in some other era, either a "next generation" or a tale of the Jedi/Sith struggles from earlier in the story.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

He could always let someone else make a trilogy that picks up where Return of the Jedi left off.

They don't have to bring Mark Hamill back as Luke Skywalker.  They can hire a new actor to play the character, feature a son or daughter, or introduce an entirely new character and simply have references to Luke Skywalker.  They could establish him as a ship captain thus explaining why he's not with the film's central characters.

Since there is a two-decade gap between the prequel trilogy and the original trilogy, they could leap another two decades into the future and start fresh.

Rico

Quote from: pickard on June 09, 2007, 02:43:08 PM

Will there be more movies?  Of course.  How long we'll have to wait is the question.  For all we know, the next SW film could be a reimagining 40 years from now with some new kid playing Luke, and an ancient Ashton Kutcher playing Ben Kenobi.  :)

Look at all the crap movies Hollywood makes out of ancient, mildly successful TV series.  Even if GL is against it now, at some point, he or his heirs won't be able to resist the money.

Actually, George Lucas first announced his idea of three trilogies when the first movie came out in the classic interview he did for "Rolling Stone" magazine.  In the interview he described a rough outline of what each trilogy would be about.  He even said in the article that the "prequels" at that time would be about Vader, Luke's father and Obi-Wan.  At that time Vader and Luke's father were not the same person.  Later on of course he changed this idea.

As far as a direct follow up type film to the original trilogy, I think that is very unlikely at this point.  He is working on the animated series and the live action TV series for the next several years.  I could possibly see another feature film some day about some other era in the Star Wars universe, but not one involving the characters we know.

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on June 09, 2007, 05:26:45 PM
Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on June 09, 2007, 02:54:46 PM
You don't think there will be a seventh movie, but you believe there will be a seventh movie.  Um... what? :confused

You asked if there will be a seventh movie...and I say no. I don't think they will ever make a continuation of the current Star Wars story. BUT!!! I do think we will see future Star Wars movies. Star Wars is a big universe.

Ktrek

I personally don't care if there is another installment but I would like to see more films in the Star Wars universe. A new trilogy would be a fine start!  :trooper

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Why does it have to be a new trilogy?  I'm so burned out on trilogies.  Just make a stand-alone movie!

Ktrek

Quote from: Captain Jean-Luc Picard on June 09, 2007, 06:31:47 PM
Why does it have to be a new trilogy?  I'm so burned out on trilogies.  Just make a stand-alone movie!

Because the scope of what Star Wars is I don't feel can be told in a single movie. So you're burned out on trilogies! If they start a new trilogy don't watch it then! That's what I say! :starwars:

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

The scope of Star Wars can be told in one movie.  It only became a trilogy, because the original was a big success.  Anyway, being burned out on trilogies doesn't mean I won't go see a new movie should it be made.  ::) I'm just saying I would prefer it to be a stand-alone movie like the original movie was. :)

Ktrek

I don't believe it can be told in obe movie. The nature of Star Wars is "epic" and even though "A New Hope" could have been viewed without there ever being another film, yet Lucas always had more than one film in mind. Besides I like Star Wars enough that I'll go see anything Lucas wants to film as long as it's at least along the quality of the first six films.

Kevin

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

I guess what I am trying to say is...  I don't want a 7th movieto end on a cliffhanger.  If it does, I will wait for the 8th movie to come out, then watch the 7th on video and see the 8th at the theater.  :taz