Will there be a 7th movie?

Started by Captain Jean-Luc Picard, June 09, 2007, 02:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ktrek

I don't care if a film has a cliffhanger as long as I know that a sequel is coming to resolve it. The only complaint I would have about the SW series is that it took too long between films. Especially the first three. Ten years is a long time and by the last one Hammil had aged something awful! I think Peter Jackson took the right approach in filming all three LOTR at the same time. More films should do that. I wish that Warner Brothers would film the last two Harry Potter films at the same time as those kids are no longer looking like kids.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

I care if the film has a cliffhanger, because I may not necessarily want to see the next installment.  I don't want to commit to a film series.  I want to watch the movies I like and skip the ones I dislike.

I don't think it took too long between movies.  There were three years between each film of the original trilogy.  Considering most sequels that get greenlit immediately often take 2-3 years, I don't see what the problem is.  When George Lucas finally got around to his prequel trilogy, it was again the same thing: three years between movies.

Quote from: Ktrek on June 09, 2007, 09:08:32 PM
I think Peter Jackson took the right approach in filming all three LOTR at the same time. More films should do that.
Ew, I'll pass.  I hated that The Lord of the Rings were one, 12-hour story.  I also didn't like that Pirates of the Caribbean 2 & 3 are effectively a 5-hour story.  Really, I prefer independent sequels that don't require you to watch the other movies in the series.  That's why I love Star Wars, each movie stands on it's own.  :)

Poodyglitz

Quote from: pickard on June 09, 2007, 02:43:08 PM
For all we know, the next SW film could be a reimagining 40 years from now with some new kid playing Luke, and an ancient Ashton Kutcher playing Ben Kenobi.  :)

"Not too long ago, in a galaxy fart, fart away..."

Q

I'm sorry but star wars just gets old after a while in my opinion.  It almost Always comes down to a huge fight with some star base or whatever and they have to sabotage it and then destroy it with a fleet.  OR they have to kill some crazy sith lord or some totally evil guy.  The revenge of the sith in my opinion wasn't very good.  Now I know everyone is going to come after me now and claim how good that movie was but in my opinion IT SLURPED
"If it wasn't for us [SG-1], you would have a snake up your head instead of your head up your ***." -Colonel O'Neil

Dan M

No one's going to come after you Q. 

Pity?  Look down upon?  Ignore?  Sure, those all sound reasonable.

You're entitled to your opinion.  (Your are omnipotent, after all.)  Even if it's dreadfully wrong.  :)

Dan M

Quote from: Captain Jean-Luc Picard on June 09, 2007, 07:51:20 PM
I guess what I am trying to say is...  I don't want a 7th movieto end on a cliffhanger.  If it does, I will wait for the 8th movie to come out, then watch the 7th on video and see the 8th at the theater.  :taz

I'm sorry.  You lost me after the part about not seeing a Star Wars movie in the theater.

Then again, you'd have lost me if you suggested not taking the day off to stand in line to see it on opening day.

Dan M

Quote from: Ktrek on June 09, 2007, 06:43:44 PM
Because the scope of what Star Wars is I don't feel can be told in a single movie. So you're burned out on trilogies! If they start a new trilogy don't watch it then! That's what I say! :starwars:
Kevin

I disagree.  A great Star Wars story could be told (and fully resolved) in two hours.

There's no reason that it has to be a trilogy.  (Though I'd be up for 6 more hours of Jedi kicking butt on the big screen.)  Lucas chose a particular format to tell those stories.  That doesn't mean a different format wouldn't work.

That first SW movie would have been just as great if we'd never seen any more of the story.  The world seemed pretty jazzed about the whole thing in the Summer of 77 and there was no assurance that we'd get anymore then.

Poodyglitz

There have been things lacking in both Star Wars and Star Trek. Since the subject is Star Wars, I'll chime in on that. The problem with Episodes 1, 2 & 3 have been lack of a good script. Yes, George Lucas is great at visual dynamics (he initially rewrote the book on the subject), but not dialogue. He had all these strong actors speaking lines fit only for a second rate comic book. I find many incongruities with these movies, especially the fact that here's this kid building a protocol droid. What reason would a child want or need such a thing -- even if they were gifted enough to have such an ability. Wouldn't he want one that would do the chores or something? The design of C3PO seems to be tied to the Empire. Why would Anakin want that? It would have made more sense for C3PO to have been a part of Padme's entourage. After all, she would certainly have a need for a protocol droid.

Also, the pod race seemed so out of place. It did nothing to further the story along. Actually, the story seemed to stop at that point. Yes, I know that the race was there to free Anakin, but there could have been a more efficient way to deal with that. The fact that he gains his freedom based on a bet seems a questionable message for children.

For a series named "Star Wars", fight scenes are inevitable. However, the way they get built up to seems too contrived and inconsequential. The story construction seems more like a Monster Mad Lib than a finely crafted story arc.

Lucas was on the right track with "The Empire Strikes Back". He had Lawrence Kasdan on board, who has a great sense of story and is the reason that "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" is the best of those movies. It is so unfortunate that the series went back to the paint by numbers approach. The whole Ewok thing baffles me when I stop viewing it as an insert for merchandising.

The latest crop of movies have been good popcorn movies, but you really have to make too many allowances and shut down the brain too much when viewing them. I agree with pickard, a great SW story can not only be told in two hours, but great mythology could have been created. As it stands, they stand as a group of nominally good Hollywood movies.

I don't mean to come off so negative. I was really hoping that the series would get stronger as they went along.

Dan M

How is 3P0's design tied to the Empire?  It didn't exist for another decade or two?  Protocol droids seemed ubiquitous throughout the movies.  The Neimodians had one in that movie also.  Bespin had them.  The Rebels had a few on Hoth.

Regardless, I assumed that little Ani made a droid out of the parts he could get from working with Watto.  If he had astromech parts, he'd have constructed R5-D4.

Why couldn't 3PO have helped with chores?

Lots of legitimate gripes about the Phantom Menace, but I don't agree with that one. 

However, I understand people having a problem with the cosmic coincidence of Darth Vader building 3PO.  (Though I don't have a problem with Vader not recognizing 3PO on Bespin.)

--------------------

Has anyone ever admitted that the switch to Ewoks from Wookies was made to sell more toys (as if this was a problem for Star Wars)?  Or is that just fan speculation that has been repeated so often that it has becomes "Internet fact".

Yeoman Mara

I would like to see them do some movies of course about Mara Jade and the expanded universe from the novels.  That would be wonderful to see.
A redhead with a lightsaber is a dangerous combination!

Poodyglitz

Quote from: pickard on June 10, 2007, 12:28:36 PM
How is 3P0's design tied to the Empire?  It didn't exist for another decade or two?  Protocol droids seemed ubiquitous throughout the movies.  The Neimodians had one in that movie also.  Bespin had them.  The Rebels had a few on Hoth.

Regardless, I assumed that little Ani made a droid out of the parts he could get from working with Watto.  If he had astromech parts, he'd have constructed R5-D4.

I guess he could have cobbled C3PO together from spare parts, but it still seems to me a conceit. He's too well put together (perhaps a few discolored parts here and there). The programming that would be involved would also be well beyond Anakin. Then again, one could say that there's a programming machine that does it all with pre-programmed wizards (no pun intended).

It's been a while since I've seen the movies. My memory of protocol droids is on Empire ships and in cities.

Why couldn't 3PO have helped with chores?

He seems a little effete. Guess he could do the vacuuming and dusting.

Has anyone ever admitted that the switch to Ewoks from Wookies was made to sell more toys (as if this was a problem for Star Wars)?  Or is that just fan speculation that has been repeated so often that it has becomes "Internet fact".

Not that I know of. I'm sure it's mostly a sense people get. I walked away from that movie thinking, "insert cutesy creatures here for small child appeal". For me, it was an impression. I could have believed in them had they shown a ferocious streak or exhibited a bit more intelligence.

Dan M

Quote from: Darmok on June 10, 2007, 02:37:17 PM
I guess he could have cobbled C3PO together from spare parts, but it still seems to me a conceit. He's too well put together (perhaps a few discolored parts here and there).

He was completely missing his outer shell.

The programming that would be involved would also be well beyond Anakin. Then again, one could say that there's a programming machine that does it all with pre-programmed wizards (no pun intended).
Agreed on both counts.   The programming would be beyond him, but there very well may be some plug-and-play droid control modules in the SW universe. 

"wizard".  LOL.

Jen

Quote from: Yeoman Mara on June 10, 2007, 12:51:08 PM
I would like to see them do some movies of course about Mara Jade and the expanded universe from the novels.  That would be wonderful to see.

Yes, I agree with Mara. It would be nice to see Lucas expand upon some EU characters and Mara Jade would be an interesting character to start with. 

The chapter on the Skywalkers was closed. George said so himselfâ€"he's done with that particular saga, but not the universe. I don't have to remind anyone that there's a cartoon and a live action show in the works. A new film may follow the live action show at some point in the distant future.

The fans won't be satisfied with a single, stand alone movie....besides Star Wars is huge universe. It contains a vast plethora of stories just waiting to be expounded on. Many of those stories were written by very good writers. I think the best of those stories deserve to be captured in film.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

jedijeff

I don't expect to see Lucas himself make any more Star Wars movies, and agree with Jen that the book on the Skywalker story is closed from a Lucas prospective. Over the years, Luke and friends adventures have been chronicled a lot in the EU, If Lucas was planning on doing more movies with that group, he would have left himself some space for it in that time frame, but from what I can tell, they never have. I could not see Lucas telling someone Else's story from the exisitng EU books, and the amount of care they have taken with the Continuity in the EU books leads me to believe they would not throw it all away for another Luke Skywalker adventure.

I think that they could probably do Standalone movies focussing on Different characters in the universe (Bounty Hunters, smugglers, other Jedi) with different directors, and they could be popular. Also I could see where the movie companies and fans might want to see another trilogy. I think that any idea of another movie or set of movies is probably a ways off, given that Lucasfilm is focussing on the Live Action TV series. As well Lucas did say in the past, that he felt big budget movies were a dieing breed to his eyes, so I could see where he might not be interest in financing or participating in anymore after the last Indy movie.