• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

New Batman TV Show: Gotham

Started by Bromptonboy, February 19, 2014, 12:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bromptonboy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2563197/Jada-Pinkett-Smith-play-villainous-gangster-boss-Batman-prequel-TV-series-Gotham.html

She is known for playing feisty, tough women on-screen.
And Jada Pinkett Smith is about to take on her grittiest role yet.
The 42-year-old has been cast as a villainous gangster boss in Fox's upcoming Batman prequel Gotham.
Showing her tough side: Jada Pinkett-Smith has been cast as villain Fish Mooney in the upcoming Batman prequel TV series Gotham, pictured in LA in November   +4
Showing her tough side: Jada Pinkett Smith has been cast as villain Fish Mooney in the upcoming Batman prequel TV series Gotham, pictured in LA in November
According to a press release, Jada will play Fish Mooney, an 'imposing, hotheaded and notoriously sadistic gangster boss and nightclub owner with street smarts and almost extra-sensory abilities to read people like an open book who is not one to be crossed.'
Her character - original to the new series - is the boss of Oswald Cobblepot, better known as The Penguin, one of Batman's most infamous enemies.
The mother-of-two will play opposite Southland's Ben McKenzie, who stars as DC Comics regular, police commissioner James Gordon.
Meaty role: The 41-year-old will play a 'sadistic gangster boss and nightclub owner', pictured at LAX in December   +4
Meaty role: The 41-year-old will play a 'sadistic gangster boss and nightclub owner', pictured at LAX in December
Gotham, which already has a series commitment from the network, will centre around a young Gordon and classic Batman villains.
The show is being written and executive-produced by The Mentalist's showrunner Bruno Heller, and CSI's Danny Cannon has been tapped to direct the pilot.
This isn't Jada's first time on the small screen.
She got her start in Hollywood with a role on the NBC comedy A Different World, and most recently starred and executive produced TV drama Hawthorne, which was cancelled in 2011.
Jada, who is married to Will Smith, also appeared in blockbuster films Scream 2 and the Matrix and Madagascar franchises.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2563197/Jada-Pinkett-Smith-play-villainous-gangster-boss-Batman-prequel-TV-series-Gotham.html#ixzz2tnl6lQkU
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Pete

Rico

Rico

Preview trailer and cast shot.  Very Excited!   :batman :joker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d1zpt6k5OI#ws

Bromptonboy

Looks like it might be quite good.
Pete

WillEagle

When I first saw that this was a young Bruce Wayne I didn't know what to think but after reading more about it and seeing the trailer makes this a sure watch.

Jobydrone

I'm looking forward to this, but overall a very odd idea for a series, wonder what the pitch was like?
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

WillEagle

"It's about a kid growing up without his parents and being raised by a butler. His name? Bruce Wayne."

Jobydrone

Been seeing alot of previews and commercials for this.  Getting stoked.  Lots of DC goodness on the tube with this, Arrow, and Flash in the fall.  Hope to see some more superpowers on Shield in season 2 also...would be cool to have some more recognizable supervillians trying to take advantage of[spoiler] Shield's demise.[/spoiler]
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Feathers

Statrs over here this week sometime. I tell myself I'm not greatly into comicbook stuff but I absolutely love Arrow and am interested to at least try this. So is my son... Is it suitable for an 11yr old?

(We'll decide for ourselves whether to let him watch it as all kids are different but if anyone has a view, feel free to share.)

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

ChrisMC

Quote from: Feathers on October 13, 2014, 08:15:07 AM
Statrs over here this week sometime. I tell myself I'm not greatly into comicbook stuff but I absolutely love Arrow and am interested to at least try this. So is my son... Is it suitable for an 11yr old?

(We'll decide for ourselves whether to let him watch it as all kids are different but if anyone has a view, feel free to share.)
There are some particularly violent scenes. Depends on how much he can handle, it's definitely not for younger viewers.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Feathers

No, agreed. I'm watching episode 1 now. He won't be.

Not sure what to make of this one yet, I'll give it a while and see.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Rico

Guess the ratings are good so far - full season order place by the network.  I'm enjoying it.   :batman

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=123965

Meds

Saw the first episode, thought they nailed it. Had a very comic book feel to it and awesome casting. Sean Pertwee is perfect as Alfred. Brilliant.

Jobydrone

I agree with Meds about the comic book feel.  I hope the writing and dialogue matures a bit as the creators get more comfortable with the characters.  Some of the dialogue has been cringeworthy.  Donal Logue is fantastc, one of my favorites and he's great as Bullock.  Has anyone seen Terriers with Donal Logue?  Terrific show that got cancelled too early, the first (and only) season is on Netflix, highly worth watching.