• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Disney to buy Lucasfilm and release Star Wars Episode 7?!!!

Started by Dangelus, October 30, 2012, 01:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davekill

Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on October 31, 2012, 04:39:37 PM
One concern I heard being murmured around the Interwebs is that this gives Disney a lot of media control and some were concerned about how much control that gave one company. I don't share the same concerns, but it was an interesting thing to hear.

Could be that Disney felt the purchase of Star Wars is necessary to compete more directly with The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at the Universal Orlando park.
And now with Paramount's plans for a remake after buying the movie rights to Harry Potter earlier this year...it's a battle of the Titans.

jedijeff

Wow, this is impressive, George is going to Donate a lot of the money from the sale to Education
http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=772027

Good on him.

KingIsaacLinksr

Too bad that money will just get sucked into the education void aka certain administrator's pockets.

Oops, that's my cynical side coming out.

Good on GL...I just wish that money could actually fix education.
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Ktrek

Chase Masterson retweeted this great pic!  ;D
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Bromptonboy

Anyone know if this is going to be the Thrawn Trilogy or a new story line altogether?
Pete

Jen

Angela and I are excited about this. We've been hoping for a long time that someone else would take the reigns (praying that Joss might get a shot one day). Looks like things can only get better. I for one am cool with a new story line with new characters. It would be cool if Darth Vader had a role in the story though.

I enjoy the EU, The Thrown Trilogy may be interesting...
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Jen

Quote from: jedijeff on October 31, 2012, 08:00:06 PM
Wow, this is impressive, George is going to Donate a lot of the money from the sale to Education
http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=772027

Good on him.

Impressive... most impressive. ;) I am glad he did that.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Jobydrone

There's also lots of excitement and chatter surrounding the possibility that Bluray or DVD releases of the Original Trilogy untouched by GL's subsequent edits may now be forthcoming.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Ktrek

Quote from: Jobydrone on November 01, 2012, 11:57:18 AM
There's also lots of excitement and chatter surrounding the possibility that Bluray or DVD releases of the Original Trilogy untouched by GL's subsequent edits may now be forthcoming.

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in that. If Lucas wanted the original versions to be released they would be out by now and I would take a guess that he would have negotiated that as part of the deal. I think it's unlikely but you never know.
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Jobydrone

There's a huge amount of money left on the table from not releasing those films in their untouched editions, and you're right the only reason is because Lucas doesn't want them out there.  But Disney owns them now, not Lucas.  I don't believe anyone at Disney is as attached to GL's vision of the OT as he is, or would be willing to eschew all those dollars based on one man's ideas or vision.  I also find it hard to imagine a "no unedited version" clause was added to the 4.5 billion dollar deal but as you say you never know.  I predict a DVD/Bluray announcement within the next 6 months.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bryancd

Quote from: Bromptonboy on November 01, 2012, 11:39:40 AM
Anyone know if this is going to be the Thrawn Trilogy or a new story line altogether?

No, and it shouldn't be. New content is the way to go, not rehashing the EU.

Rico

Quote from: Jobydrone on November 01, 2012, 12:45:00 PM
There's a huge amount of money left on the table from not releasing those films in their untouched editions, and you're right the only reason is because Lucas doesn't want them out there.  But Disney owns them now, not Lucas.  I don't believe anyone at Disney is as attached to GL's vision of the OT as he is, or would be willing to eschew all those dollars based on one man's ideas or vision.  I also find it hard to imagine a "no unedited version" clause was added to the 4.5 billion dollar deal but as you say you never know.  I predict a DVD/Bluray announcement within the next 6 months.

I'm not quite sure on that.  The six current films I think are not exactly part of the same purchase package as Lucasfilm and new films.  Fox I think still owns the right to distribute those six films - not Disney.  At least based on what I have heard.  Without the contract in front of me to read it's hard to know for sure exactly what will be allowed with the first six films.

Bryancd

Rico is correct, Fox still has the rights for the first 6 films. And I think the size of the market out there for the original films unaltered is miniscule in the grand scheme of things and hardly worth the effort.

Ktrek

Quote from: Bryancd on November 01, 2012, 02:49:39 PM
Rico is correct, Fox still has the rights for the first 6 films. And I think the size of the market out there for the original films unaltered is miniscule in the grand scheme of things and hardly worth the effort.

I agree here! I think that it's unlikely that any but "purists" would double dip on another Blu-Ray release. I sincerely doubt that there are a whole lot of hold outs who just won't buy Star Wars in Blu-Ray until the original untarnished versions are released. I still think the likelihood is very small.