• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Ambo Jitsu

Started by ElfManDan, May 31, 2011, 06:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElfManDan

Saw this episode for the first time a little while ago and I can't tell you how much I moaned through this scene. The ultimate evolution of martial arts. Seriously?! If this the ultimate evolution of martial arts you can count me out. They can keep the shiny armor I'll stick with my gi.

Ambojitsu - the Ultimate Evolution of martial arts

turtlesrock

indeed. i remember that episode now! where riker's dad comes and makes him all mad!

but why was riker mad at his dad?

RickPeete

Because Riker felt that his Dad did not really love him and that he never really loved his mother.  Both feelings were the result of his Dad's inability to handle his wife's death, and therefore never really empathized with Will or helped Will deal with it either.

The only thing they had in common were these martial arts lessons.  But the episode ends with them beginning to talk through his childhood feelings.  We are led to believe it was the start of an improved relationship between them.

I think the 'ultimate evolution' was theoretically the ability to fight without the benefit of vision.  But I would have to agree that the engagements were sorely lacking in complexity, or even athleticism.  But that is what you get on TV budgets and production time (no way they could have brought in a trainer to help them do a decent job in a weekly series' time window).

KingIsaacLinksr

Yeah, what Rick said. 

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

ElfManDan

Quote from: RickPeete on May 31, 2011, 08:09:16 PM
I think the 'ultimate evolution' was theoretically the ability to fight without the benefit of vision.  But I would have to agree that the engagements were sorely lacking in complexity, or even athleticism.  But that is what you get on TV budgets and production time (no way they could have brought in a trainer to help them do a decent job in a weekly series' time window).

Well I think I can forgive them for it. It wasn't all together a terrible episode. Though as someone who does Jiu Jitsu when I heard Ambo Jitsu I got really excited though I admit I realized it was likely to be butchered. I have never seen actual Jiu Jitsu in any TV show and Ambo Jitsu is made up. This was just a very miserable moment for me trying to watch.

turtlesrock

i get it now.

if you look at the fighting sticks kinda sideways they look like lirpas (amok time)