• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Taking Wing - Week one Chapters 1-6 - discussion starts Jan 7th

Started by Duffster, January 04, 2008, 05:12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jen

Quote from: Ktrek on January 08, 2008, 01:16:23 PM
You know what Jen? That would make a great question for Rico to ask Andy Mangels. You maybe should word it and submit in a PM to him.

You make a great point in that it's inconceivable that Riker would not have already known about Dr. Ree since he was the one who has compiled the ship's roster. I guess I just played along with it because I saw it as an opportunity for a little husband/wife banter.

Another continuity thread is Nurse Alyssa Ogawa already mentioned by Jen above, but what she didn't mention is the fact that Ogawa has a son Noah from her deceased husband Lieutenant Andrew Powell. Although Ogawa's relationship with Lt. Powell is mentioned frequently, in the 7th season of TNG, we never see him onscreen (with the exception of the possibility of the incident in the "alternate timeline" in the TNG episode "All Good Things", he may be seen there with her when she lost the baby. So now their son Noah is 7 years old when the Titan's mission begins.

I can post other continuities in the series but I'd like to hear what things others have noticed.

Kevin

You know, I was thinking about submitting that as a question...but in a nicer way.  :D
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Bryancd

Although I read this book last year, and i am about to start the most recent Titan book, I agree with many of these observations. The first part of he book felt a little "rushed". I am curious to see what you all think of the rest!

Ktrek

For those of you who are having trouble keeping track of all the characters on TITAN's crew I found this link that may help you. It's quite helpful because it lists both species and gender, as well as what rank and positions they serve. Admittedly there is a lot to keep track of but if you have ever read Tolstoy or Dostoyevsky then TITAN is like reading Dick and Jane!  :)

http://startrek.wikia.com/wiki/USS_Titan_%28NCC-80102%29

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

billybob476

One thing that has been bugging me for some reason is this. A lot of the crew are secondary characters we've seen throughout the last few series (nurse Ogawa and the low-grav woman from DS9 come to mind) I'm not sure why but it just seems convenient that all these people we've been exposed to in the past are all posted to the Titan. It's not a big issue but it kind of stuck out for me.

Ktrek

Quote from: billybob476 on January 10, 2008, 05:24:40 AM
One thing that has been bugging me for some reason is this. A lot of the crew are secondary characters we've seen throughout the last few series (nurse Ogawa and the low-grav woman from DS9 come to mind) I'm not sure why but it just seems convenient that all these people we've been exposed to in the past are all posted to the Titan. It's not a big issue but it kind of stuck out for me.

I'm sure that's purposeful Billy to try and give some continuity to the book series and help make them seem more like the various shows. Christine Vale, the first officer, was also a character in the TNG "A Time To" series from a few years back. I suppose fans liked her character enough for them to consider permanent inclusion in a series.

There has been some talk about seeing if IDW would do a TITAN comic series as they are doing a New Frontier series with Peter David beginning in March. I can't wait to read that one. I hope it's released in a nice quality bound edition.

I was also wondering what everyone thought of the various ideas for the dedication plaque proposals. I thought all of them were good. It's be hard to choose.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

billybob476

Some of them were a bit too long to be catchy I think! Also I agree on the continutity point, it just rubbed me the wrong way for a second. It was like "Ok, we need new people, let's use every secondary Starfleet officer we've ever met and dump them all on the same ship."

Ktrek

Well, I think the intent was not just for continuity but "familiarity". After all we are likely feel more warm feelings about Alyssa Ogawa than we would Lt. Commander Keru. Don't you agree? I think the authors tried to blend a mix where you feel comfortable enough because there are familiar faces and yet excited enough because there are new characters to explore. However, if you look at the link I provided above you will see that overall there are very few familiar names and characters in the series.

Kevin

billybob476

Jen

Did I miss read something or is Lt. Commander Keru romantically interested in Dino Doc? That just was absurd to me. It's not a gender thing... it's the fact he's a lizard. How is that attractive in the romantic sense? It was too much of a stretch for me.

Here are my suggestions for dedication plaques:

"He turns not back who is bound to a star"- Leonardo da Vinci

"Few can foresee whither their road will lead them, till they come to its end." -Tolkien

"Second star to the right, and straight on 'till morning."

"Don't laugh it's paid for"- unknown
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Ktrek

Quote from: Jen on January 10, 2008, 12:18:17 PM
Did I miss read something or is Lt. Commander Keru romantically interested in Dino Doc? That just was absurd to me. It's not a gender thing... it's the fact he's a lizard. How is that attractive in the romantic sense? It was too much of a stretch for me.

What page did you get that impression from Jen? I missed that if that's the case! That would be too bizarre for words!

I liked your da Vinci quote best!

Kevin

Jen

Chapter Five... One of the officers fell and hurt himself and was very nervous about going to Sickbay. Ogawa gives him a xenophobe lecture and then he asks if Ree is single. She advises him that if he's interested in pursuing Ree...to be careful, or go easy or something like that...that he lost his "lifemate" to the Borg.

Quote from: Ktrek on January 10, 2008, 12:24:13 PM
Quote from: Jen on January 10, 2008, 12:18:17 PM

What page did you get that impression from Jen? I missed that if that's the case! That would be too bizarre for words!

I liked your da Vinci quote best!

Kevin
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

billybob476

Well the gender thing is also an interesting point, as far as I know there is very little Star Trek lore that addresses same sex relationships. You'd think it wouldn't be an issue in the 24th century but most relationships we've been exposed to have always been male/female be they the same species or not.

Jen

It wasn't that... it was the fact that this human we are just introduced to, all of a sudden likes the reptile doctor for no apparent reason. It came from no where and really seemed...absurd—that's the only thing I can think of to describe it. They just sort of dump it on us.
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

billybob476

It might just be curiosity. People have odd fetishes. Lizards? Why not... but I agree Jen, it was pretty sudden I guess I was tired when I was reading that passage the first time and I didn't pick up on the fact he was talking about the doctor.

Jen

Yeah... I was tired too. Maybe I need to reread it to make sure I know what the heck I'm talking about.  :D
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast