• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Taking Wing - Week one Chapters 1-6 - discussion starts Jan 7th

Started by Duffster, January 04, 2008, 05:12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billybob476

Quote from: Jen on January 10, 2008, 12:18:17 PM
Here are my suggestions for dedication plaques:

"He turns not back who is bound to a star"- Leonardo da Vinci

"Few can foresee whither their road will lead them, till they come to its end." -Tolkien

"Second star to the right, and straight on 'till morning."

"Don't laugh it's paid for"- unknown

For quotes I've always liked the Canadian Air Force motto: "Per Ardua Ad Astra" (Through adversity to the stars)

Jen

What? No one likes "Don't laugh it's paid for"?  :D
We had a bumpersticker on our car that said that when I was in high school.

Quote from: billybob476 on January 10, 2008, 12:51:45 PM
Quote from: Jen on January 10, 2008, 12:18:17 PM
Here are my suggestions for dedication plaques:

"He turns not back who is bound to a star"- Leonardo da Vinci

"Few can foresee whither their road will lead them, till they come to its end." -Tolkien

"Second star to the right, and straight on 'till morning."

"Don't laugh it's paid for"- unknown

For quotes I've always liked the Canadian Air Force motto: "Per Ardua Ad Astra" (Through adversity to the stars)
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Ktrek

Jen,

I think you were too tired when you read that chapter because it's NOT Keru who is interested in Dr. Ree. It was Kent Norellis interested in Keru. Keru was involved with Sean Hawk aboard the Enterprise E while stationed there. Unless you read something else. The part I am referring to is on page 74.

Boy that was a picture I really didn't need in my brain!

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Jen

Ah... well... there you go. Makes more sense now.  :blush
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

billybob476

Quote from: Jen on January 10, 2008, 12:54:06 PM
What? No one likes "Don't laugh it's paid for"?  :D
We had a bumpersticker on our car that said that when I was in high school.

Humans don't use money in the 24th century!

Jen

AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

billybob476

Quote from: Ktrek on January 10, 2008, 12:56:11 PM
Jen,

I think you were too tired when you read that chapter because it's NOT Keru who is interested in Dr. Ree. It was Kent Norellis interested in Keru. Keru was involved with Sean Hawk aboard the Enterprise E while stationed there. Unless you read something else. The part I am referring to is on page 74.

Boy that was a picture I really didn't need in my brain!

Kevin

So this still maintains my point that this is one of the few (or maybe the first) true same sex relationships in Star Trek. Am I wrong? I doubt the authors would bother bringing this up if it wasn't going to develop.

Jen

Personally, I haven't read that many Trek books... I couldn't say. Duffster? Ktrek? Do you guys know?
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Ktrek

In the book Stitch in Time by Andrew Robinson it is hinted that Garak is bi-sexual. In the Star Trek New Frontier book Renaissance Peter David introduces a gay Vulcan character.There was a lesbian character is S. D, Perry's DS9 book called Avatar but she was on a ship that was destroyed so her character does not survive. In the Mangels and Martic book called Section 31 Rogue they introduce the Sean Hawk and Keru (from the Titan book) as intimately involved. There were also some gay characters in the Starfleet Corps of Engineer series. There may be more instances but I can't think of any at the moment. So, no this isn't the first time in Trek books.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

billybob476

Thanks Kevin. I kinda burnt out on Star Trek books about 10-12 years ago. The last books I read were the original TNG novels back in the day (Ghost ship, Imzadi, Vendetta and the like). I guess I kind of lost interest. I must say that I'm enjoying this book a lot more then I thought I would, might get me back into Star Trek novels.

Ktrek

Quote from: billybob476 on January 11, 2008, 02:05:49 PM
Thanks Kevin. I kinda burnt out on Star Trek books about 10-12 years ago. The last books I read were the original TNG novels back in the day (Ghost ship, Imzadi, Vendetta and the like). I guess I kind of lost interest. I must say that I'm enjoying this book a lot more then I thought I would, might get me back into Star Trek novels.

That would be great if you do! I don't know how long ago you stopped but if it was more than five years ago you have missed some fantastic stories. The current group of authors are fabulous storytellers. Star Trek books are not the throw away pulp novels they used to be. Authors I would recommend would be:

Keith R. A. DeCandido (KRAD) Anything he writes is awesome!
David Mack - Certainly a high claibre writer.
S.D. Perry - Her DS9 relaunch books are fabulous!
Christopher Bennett - He writes stories that are epic in scope.
Jeffrey Lang - Immortal Coil is a must read!
Peter David - Anything he writes is fun. I really enjoy his New frontier series.

There are just so many books that are worth your while these days. I'm looking forward to Taking Wing's author's latest Excelsior novel that just came out this month.

Kevin

Jen

AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Ktrek

Quote from: Jen on January 11, 2008, 02:50:31 PM
Don't forget A.C. Crispin. :)

Well, A.C. Crispin is old school and hasn't written any Trek novels in almost 15 years. But yea..she is a good writer and I'm sure her fantasy series are fun reads I just don't have time to check them out.

Kevin

billybob476

I read her Han Solo trilogy and really enjoyed it. Actually I've read it a few times!

Jen

8 years actually... last books she wrote was Sarek. From what I understand she writes original sci-fi too (StarBridge series).

They just put out an omnibus of Spocks World and Sarek, which was retitled: Sand And Stars. I bought it thinking it was a new novel... darn Pocket Books...

I loved the Han Solo Trilogy too. They are my favorite Star Wars books.
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast