• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Taking Wing - Week one Chapters 1-6 - discussion starts Jan 7th

Started by Duffster, January 04, 2008, 05:12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ktrek

Quote from: Jen on January 11, 2008, 03:03:44 PM
8 years actually... last books she wrote was Sarek. From what I understand she writes original sci-fi too (StarBridge series).

They just put out an omnibus of Spocks World and Sarek, which was retitled: Sand And Stars. I bought it thinking it was a new novel... darn Pocket Books...

I loved the Han Solo Trilogy too. They are my favorite Star Wars books.

I hate to tell you this Jen but Sarek came out in 1994.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Jen

Did they reprint it? Because I'm seeing July 27 1999, and Aug 1 2000 as the publish dates.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Ktrek

I have the original hardcover release and mine says 1994. For confirmation you could go to her website also:

http://www.accrispin.com/published.htm

So yes...I'm pretty sure! :)

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Jen

:D I bow to your superior knowledge.  :worthy    ;)
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

jedijeff

I finally caught up to everyone with this Book. I started Thursday as I was reading something else and wanted to finish before I stared Taking Wing. So far I have been able to get through it pretty quick, and at around page 90, so it seems easy enough to read.

I guess my first observation is the diverse crew. To be honest at the start, I was not really excited about Dr Ree, as he seems really out there in terms of a species. I do appreciate how they are handling him, as it seems far more real to me. I like how everyone is taking time to adjust to him, instead of everyone acting like it is normal for a Dinosaur to be serving on a Star Ship. In the past I have been turned off of Sci-Fi when they introduce strange creatures, as I find it hard to visualize and relate to. Usually with the Characters, they give them names that are hard to read, remember or pronounce. At least with Dr Ree, it is an easy enough name to remember. Even though he is a Dinosaur, I don't think I am picturing him as the authors attend, and maybe that is a good thing, as I envisioning him more as a reptile then I probably should. When I read book, I usually assign voices to characters as well, when Riker speaks, I hear Jonathan Frakes, etc etc etc. With Dr Ree, some how he keeps sounding like General Grievous to me, instead of someone with a hiss, I will try more to make him sound like he should in my head.

Some of the other Characters they have not touched on to much, so I am hoping I do not loose track of them. I guess my only worry is that there seems to be a lot of species I am not familiar with, so I might need to try and remember them when they come up. Some still seem a bit unbelievable to me, such as one of the Counsellors which sounds like it is a blue little bear??? Also some sort of Insect or crab type species as well.

I vaguely remember low G lady from DS9, and seemed to recall I did not care much for her, to much of a chip on her shoulder. At least the way I am reading it, she still seems like she is walking around with the same chip on her shoulder. I am not sure if she will be a character I will have a lot of sympathy for.

I am really liking Commander Riker, and like mentioned earlier, they have seemed to bring out his better qualities. From outward appearance you would think he would be brimming with confidence, but like how he has some reservations as well. Riker seems very believable in a person to be leading a diverse crew like this. I actually share his disappointment that he has been diverted to Romulas instead of his exploration mission. They have not touched to much on the mission yet, but does sound very political, so hopefully there are some action elements.

Thinking tonight I will watch Nemesis again to refresh myself of the event of it.

So far I enjoying this a lot, and it is the first Star Trek book I have read in sometime. I was worried that this might be a hard read, but so far I am getting though it pretty easy. As well, thanks Kevin for pointing out that the Capellan Admiral was the Child from Fridays Child, I did not realize that.