• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Star Trek Online

Started by Riskygodfather, November 16, 2005, 02:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickPeete

And i am happy to say that while their registration servers were definitely overloaded today, the gaming servers were up and running all day long with no problems that I could see.  I never got kicked out and I never crashed.

Good stuff!

Bryancd

Quote from: dataskatt on February 02, 2010, 05:14:35 PM
I really wish this was available for the Mac! I have Windows capability, but is has never worked properly on my machine.  :'(

It should but you would need to run Windows in Boot Camp, not Parallels.

Rico

Quote from: Bryancd on February 03, 2010, 04:41:45 AM
I really wish this was available for the Mac! I have Windows capability, but is has never worked properly on my machine.  :'(

This is a pretty graphic intensive game.  Unless you have a recent, high end Mac with a top end video card you may have trouble.  Even under boot camp.  Anyone else out there with a Mac that has attempted this?

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on February 03, 2010, 05:22:28 AM
Quote from: Bryancd on February 03, 2010, 04:41:45 AM

This is a pretty graphic intensive game.  Unless you have a recent, high end Mac with a top end video card you may have trouble.  Even under boot camp.  Anyone else out there with a Mac that has attempted this?

I know people who are running it on 3+ year old iMac and PowerBook laptops, even the least expensive came with very good video cards. The first Intel based machines in 2006, the first model which could run Windows, had a ATI Radeon X1600 with 128MB of SDRAM.

billybob476

Yeah, not sure what the new macs come with, also I noticed that in the last patch right before launch it seems to me they did some graphuics upgrades. At least for me the anti-aliasing seemed a lot better. I'll have to take some screenshots, should be getting my cruiser soon.

Bryancd

Quote from: billybob476 on February 03, 2010, 05:49:35 AM
Yeah, not sure what the new macs come with, also I noticed that in the last patch right before launch it seems to me they did some graphuics upgrades. At least for me the anti-aliasing seemed a lot better. I'll have to take some screenshots, should be getting my cruiser soon.

A new 21.5 inch iMac comes with a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics

Blackride

Well I have been stable with the game now since they patched it last. The 5870 s are rockin with this game.

Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

billybob476

In space I was getting over 100 fps!

I'll stop now :)

Darkmolerman

Quote from: billybob476 on February 03, 2010, 06:57:13 AM

In space...no one can see you lag
"He can't act out of a cardboard box"- Rick Moyer

"I know the answer now sometimes the doctor must look at this planet and look at it in shame" -Gwen Cooper

Rico

In a big battle - or just cruising along?  

Oh, by the way Lynn was able to pick up my collector's edition at the local Gamestop for me yesterday.  Still annoyed I just couldn't transfer the order to a store nearby, but at least I have the game.  It's at home - but I got my copy.

billybob476

Quote from: Rico on February 03, 2010, 09:33:25 AM

In a big battle - or just cruising along?  

Oh, by the way Lynn was able to pick up my collector's edition at the local Gamestop for me yesterday.  Still annoyed I just couldn't transfer the order to a store nearby, but at least I have the game.  It's at home - but I got my copy.

Just cruising I get around 120. In battle it'll range from 70-100. Away missions about 60-90. When there are fire effects on the screen (on away missions) it sometimes drops to about 35-40. Honestly I was never really a big believer in Crossfire / SLI but i've never had performance like this before. Love my Doghouse :)

Rico

What resolution do you play in Joe?

billybob476

1680 x 1050.

My next upgrade is a bigger screen that supports 1920 x 1200. Right now I'm on a 20" widescreen. Obviously my FPS would go down a bit at the higher res.

Seven7

Well I got my copy of Star Trek online.  Trouble is I cannot install it on my computer,  The installation goes about halfway through then just stops!  Anybody else having this proble???.  So I gues I can look at the cover box until I hear from tech support
Seven7

Blackride

Well, I have been playing for 6 days straight now and here are my impressions.

1. The game seems to be 70% space battles. Possibly even more.
2. Space battle can get confusing.
3. Away missions are fun but some are bugged. One of them took me 2 hours to do and I got to the end,only to find out it was bugged!
4. Missions/quests can be very long and time consuming. This is either good or bad depending on the type of player you are. The good side is that the xp is decent.
5. The voice overs are cool.
6. Character creation and ship creation are awesome.
7. No network performance issues or server issues the last few days for me.
8. Limited documentation on the game causes confusion. The tutorial is good but ends a bit soon for me.

Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.