• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Star Trek Online

Started by Riskygodfather, November 16, 2005, 02:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feathers

Looks absolutely absorbing (say the man with no experience of this sort of game). I look at that and get a peek into a whole alternate reality for myself. I could spend days playing this sort of thing non-stop. It's probably just as well I don't have days to do that!

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

wraith1701

DUDE. The line to sign onto the server is currently 801 people long. Game seems to be pretty popular!

Blackride

Quote from: wraith1701 on January 31, 2010, 01:27:52 PM
DUDE. The line to sign onto the server is currently 801 people long. Game seems to be pretty popular!

That's because zones are crashing like crazy. I've been kicked at least 10 times in the last 2 hours. Uggg....
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Blackride

LOL The STO forums are exploding with ticked off people.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

billybob476

I guess it's good I tend to play early morning!

Rico

Well, I finally downloaded the game and am patching it right now.  Maybe I can get on tonight for the first time.

Blackride

Quote from: Rico on January 31, 2010, 03:02:00 PM
Well, I finally downloaded the game and am patching it right now.  Maybe I can get on tonight for the first time.

Would be great to start playing with some of u. I think that will make this a lot more fun.

Rico

Well, I made a science type character named Rico and finally after about a 30min. queue wait I got into the game into the mess hall.  Then about 2 minutes later the server crashed or dropped me back to the login screen.  Looks like it's going to be a rough launch for this game.  :(

VaeVictis1701

Quote from: RickPeete on January 30, 2010, 06:28:23 PM
The intros by Nimoy are a nice touch, placing the game in the alternate universe of Trek.  Wonder if the game is prepared to follow story lines as new movies are released (i.e. will they get pre-release story lines so that they can release new content soon as a new movie is released).

The game doesn't take place in the alternate universe.  Cryptic sated that STO will take place in the prime universe.  They released information on what happens before the game begins in the Pathway to 2409 section of the site.  I believe they had Nimoy do those intros to give people who weren't Trek fans before the movie a connection to the game.  They said the reason for not having it in the alternate time line is because they didn't want to be held by the contents of the next movie.

They had some major issues Friday night.  The servers crashed twice.  Then Saturday morning they had some type of connection issues.  Only about 2/3 of the shards were running which is the reasons for the queue.  The servers went down for a little while but then came back up and the game has been running smooth ever since.  I think we'll be good for launch now... I hope.  :)

All in all this game is amazing... it's about time STO finally got off the ground.  Has the Treks in Sci Fi Feet been created?

Rico

Well, I can barely get into the game so far.  Crashed last night for me.  I'm hoping things smooth out over the next week or so.  I really want to start playing.

Blackride

Quote from: VaeVictis1701 on February 01, 2010, 03:34:56 AM
Quote from: RickPeete on January 30, 2010, 06:28:23 PM
The intros by Nimoy are a nice touch, placing the game in the alternate universe of Trek.  Wonder if the game is prepared to follow story lines as new movies are released (i.e. will they get pre-release story lines so that they can release new content soon as a new movie is released).

The game doesn't take place in the alternate universe.  Cryptic sated that STO will take place in the prime universe.  They released information on what happens before the game begins in the Pathway to 2409 section of the site.  I believe they had Nimoy do those intros to give people who weren't Trek fans before the movie a connection to the game.  They said the reason for not having it in the alternate time line is because they didn't want to be held by the contents of the next movie.

They had some major issues Friday night.  The servers crashed twice.  Then Saturday morning they had some type of connection issues.  Only about 2/3 of the shards were running which is the reasons for the queue.  The servers went down for a little while but then came back up and the game has been running smooth ever since.  I think we'll be good for launch now... I hope.  :)

All in all this game is amazing... it's about time STO finally got off the ground.  Has the Treks in Sci Fi Feet been created?

Saturday afternoon they were down for at least 5 hours. This has been a mess of a launch for them unfortunately. They didn't even tell people they were having issues until 4-5 hours into it. I am not saying this is a bad game by any means, but the launch is nothing to write home about.

Rico

Well, technically the "launch" isn't until tomorrow.  This "head start" is for preorders only.  Let's hope this is helping them work out some more bugs.  But in my experience it may very well be worse tomorrow when the game is open to everyone that buys a copy off the shelf.

billybob476

I'l agree, tomorrow will likely be a bit of a crap shoot. It may go well and it may be a disaster. However, this isn't entirely unexpected in an MMO launch. Also, since Cryptic recently launched Champions Online I think they learned a lot there. So far things have gone relatively smooth and while there has been downtime, its been minimal overall.

RickPeete

I like the game a lot. But the stability issues are bumming me out.  City of Villains is not plagued with these problems. Nor was Star Wars Galaxies (it had other problems tho).

Has anyone figured how toearn credits in the game?  I want to buy ship component upgrades but so far no mission has given credits. 

Blackride

Quote from: RickPeete on February 01, 2010, 05:50:38 AM
I like the game a lot. But the stability issues are bumming me out.  City of Villains is not plagued with these problems. Nor was Star Wars Galaxies (it had other problems tho).

Has anyone figured how toearn credits in the game?  I want to buy ship component upgrades but so far no mission has given credits. 

I have just been selling the stuff I scan for in space.