• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Star Trek Online

Started by Riskygodfather, November 16, 2005, 02:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jobydrone

Quote from: billybob476 on January 28, 2010, 03:54:01 AM
Here's the latest "State of the Game" from the developers dated Jan 27th:

...First Update
We're already working on it and it'll be out before you know it.

The first update is going to have more PvP, Klingon exploration content, more ground fleet actions, more ship costume pieces, more playable species, and then some.

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/957

Does this mean there will be some Klingon PvE content?  Is it possible now to level as a Klingon without doing PvP?  I don't really understand that whole functionality.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

VaeVictis1701

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on January 28, 2010, 07:59:09 AM
Does this mean there will be some Klingon PvE content?  Is it possible now to level as a Klingon without doing PvP?  I don't really understand that whole functionality.

In comparison to the Federation the Klingon's won't have as much PVE content.  They said that Klingon's are going to be primarily a PVP faction.  So you could level a Klingon threw PVE... you just might end up doing a lot of the same mission over and over again.  :-(

Rico

Quote from: VaeVictis1701 on January 28, 2010, 09:23:27 AM
Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on January 28, 2010, 07:59:09 AM

In comparison to the Federation the Klingon's won't have as much PVE content.  They said that Klingon's are going to be primarily a PVP faction.  So you could level a Klingon threw PVE... you just might end up doing a lot of the same mission over and over again.  :-(

Really??  That seems strange to me.  Isn't this supposed to be balanced similar to World of Warcraft where you can level on each side with about the same amount of content?  If this is true about the Klingons I think that's a big mistake.  The Klingon culture, planetary systems, etc. is plenty big enough for content.  Frankly, if this game is heavily PvP I'm going to be turned off.  First, that isn't really "Star Trek."  It's about exploring strange new worlds, new civilizations, etc.  I want a LOT of missions like that.  Not, go here and defend the neutral zone time and again against the enemy.  Now, I haven't played even the beta yeat, so I'll reserve some judgment - for now.  I just hope the range of content is there.

Bryancd

From what I have heard, isn't 80+% of the game ship based, so PVP? I thought there wasn't nearly as much in terms of away mission scenarios.

billybob476

I actually think it makes perfect sense and I have a feeling this is the approach they took:

Klingons are a warrior race, they challenge each other and fight for dominance constantly. With this in mind they made Klingon gameplay much more PvP centric then the Federation.

I haven't played Klingons but as far as I have heard there isn't 'less' game for that faction, it's just a different experience initially. I think it's a refreshing and novel approach. It gives you a reason to play the other faction aside from getting to play an orc instead of a human.

VaeVictis1701

Quote from: Rico on January 28, 2010, 10:02:24 AM
Really??  That seems strange to me.  Isn't this supposed to be balanced similar to World of Warcraft where you can level on each side with about the same amount of content?  If this is true about the Klingons I think that's a big mistake.  The Klingon culture, planetary systems, etc. is plenty big enough for content.  Frankly, if this game is heavily PvP I'm going to be turned off.  First, that isn't really "Star Trek."  It's about exploring strange new worlds, new civilizations, etc.  I want a LOT of missions like that.  Not, go here and defend the neutral zone time and again against the enemy.  Now, I haven't played even the beta yeat, so I'll reserve some judgment - for now.  I just hope the range of content is there.

I agree that there is plenty in the Klingon sector to have loads of PVE content however like billybob476 said they were going for it to be a different experience.  It's not to say that there won't be PVE... it just that about 70-80ish% will be PVP.  In comparison the Klingon ships are designed for battle and leaves little in the way of science and exploration.  For all of us out there that enjoy the thought of exploring strange new world, we'll have the Federation.  It's not to say that it might not change later on down the road.  One of the things that Cryptic has said is that if they see that the community wants something in the game... they will strive to get it in the game.  But they way I look at this is game style preference.  Which has got me curious about the hint of two new factions being added to the game in the future... (the Romulans and Cardassian.)

Jobydrone

I have also been led to believe that you are compelled to start as a Federation character, and can only start a Klingon when your Fed has reached a certain level.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

billybob476

That's how it was in Beta. not sure if that's a rule for release or not.

VaeVictis1701

From everything that I have read and seen that's what they intend to do for launch.  They didn't develop a Klingon tutorial.  :-(

billybob476

hehe oops. Probably better, the Klingon tutorial would probably yell at you.

VaeVictis1701

Quote from: billybob476 on January 28, 2010, 11:23:15 AM
yea... nothing like a General calling you a "Patagh" while your trying to learn how to control your ship during an attack.  :(

Jobydrone

Quote from: VaeVictis1701 on January 28, 2010, 11:40:39 AM
Quote from: billybob476 on January 28, 2010, 11:23:15 AM
yea... nothing like a General calling you a "Patagh" while your trying to learn how to control your ship during an attack.  :(

LoL!  Why would you wan't it any other way?  Most of us probably wouldn't survive a tutorial led by a Klingon!

VaeVictis1701

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on January 28, 2010, 12:38:18 PM
LoL!  Why would you wan't it any other way?  Most of us probably wouldn't survive a tutorial led by a Klingon!

This is true... but for those who did I'm sure there would be a barrel of Blood Wine waiting for them.  :cheers

billybob476

KingIsaacLinksr

A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr