• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Star Trek Online

Started by Riskygodfather, November 16, 2005, 02:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaames

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on August 21, 2009, 02:53:19 PM
...hell no one has played it yet, so lets not kick it in the ass before we've even tried it.
Well said Meds. No matter how things look, we won't know whether this game is fun or not until the day it comes out officially.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Jaames on August 25, 2009, 03:10:53 PM
Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on August 21, 2009, 02:53:19 PM
...hell no one has played it yet, so lets not kick it in the ass before we've even tried it.
Well said Meds. No matter how things look, we won't know whether this game is fun or not until the day it comes out officially.

No!  Logic...must...not...intervene....emoraging...subject......no, must.....resist.....

:P

jk

Tis a good point meds.  We shall see.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Rico

billybob476

Signed up this morning, the system was a little wonky to say the least.

PepperDude

How's the closed beta going billybob?

billybob476

Haven't received an invite! Not sure if my application actually ever went though or not.

Rico

I don't think it's actually started.  At least that I know of.

Jobydrone

I hope it doesnt start until I get my new computer!
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Jen

I realize they're not going to do it right away, but has anyone heard which console platform they are going to port it to? They were being pretty tight lipped about it before. Sony or Xbox? They did say it would be console and PC based...just never said WHICH console. I'd rather play in front of our flat screen TV in the living room than my computer in my cramped little home office.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Jobydrone

I've heard nothing about a console release.  I'd certainly prefer to play on console over having to buy a new computer but I highly doubt this will happen.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Quote from: Jen on September 23, 2009, 11:15:34 AM
I realize they're not going to do it right away, but has anyone heard which console platform they are going to port it to? They were being pretty tight lipped about it before. Sony or Xbox? They did say it would be console and PC based...just never said WHICH console. I'd rather play in front of our flat screen TV in the living room than my computer in my cramped little home office.

Very, very doubtful it would end up on a console.  MMO's really don't work that way.  For one thing, there is a huge amount of text chat and keyboard work.  Not to mention many, many other issues.  Where did you hear it would end up on a console system?  I have never heard that about this game.

billybob476

Champions Online is coming out for consoles, though the launch has been delayed (PC version is out of course). I googled around and back around August last year it seems there was talk of STO coming to consoles but I can't find any recent references.

Jen

I heard the head hancho of STO talking about during a keynote at the Trek Convention (I think it was at the convention). I watched it online since I couldn't make the  con. They said it wouldn't happen right away...but it was their goal.  This is something that Bioware, the folks making KOTR, said they were also working toward, though I think they said it would eventually be ported to Sony Playstation.

The Xbox folks say it's their goal to have PC players and Console players competing against one another in the near future...what better environment than an MMO? Sure, not everyone will want to play it on a console, but I don't want to play it on a PC. By offering both options, they gain more players for their game.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Rico

Yeah, I think I heard similar "wishful thinking" talk.  I still highly doubt both that it will happen and even if it does, it won't be anywhere near the same game.  I've followed gaming for a very long time and they "talk" about wanting to do a great deal, but it rarely happens like they say.  This Trek MMO would have to be a HUGE hit for them to even consider it.  Look at it this way, World of Warcraft is a mega hit and it isn't on any console.  One of the biggest issues is the hardware in consoles currently isn't up to the task of what a modern PC game needs.  Again, this is just based on what I have seen over the years.  I really doubt we will see it happen.

X

Quote from: Rico on September 23, 2009, 11:39:13 AM
Yeah, I think I heard similar "wishful thinking" talk.  I still highly doubt both that it will happen and even if it does, it won't be anywhere near the same game.  I've followed gaming for a very long time and they "talk" about wanting to do a great deal, but it rarely happens like they say.  This Trek MMO would have to be a HUGE hit for them to even consider it.  Look at it this way, World of Warcraft is a mega hit and it isn't on any console.  One of the biggest issues is the hardware in consoles currently isn't up to the task of what a modern PC game needs.  Again, this is just based on what I have seen over the years.  I really doubt we will see it happen.
I think it all depends on the deal. Everquest became a console game before it dried up in popularity.