News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Star Trek Online

Started by Riskygodfather, November 16, 2005, 02:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Jen on July 31, 2008, 07:50:17 PM
I hope that's just a first step in the evolution of this game. To me, the allure of STO  wasn't the prospect of captaining a ship... it was the thought of playing in the world I can only hope will be reality one day. I don't want to be limited to a star ship captain. What if I wanted a character to be a doctor, or a scientist? I hope they continue to add different occupations to the game. It's OK to start off like this, but I hope they expand it...

Yea, this is my problem.  It sounds like a "captaining the starship" game again and there are so many right now.  LAME and unoriginal.  Excuse my anger.  Its just......why?  WHY? did they have to conform....

GRRR

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Meds

Angry King............... Well i'm new to this STO, i have no idea what they have been promising or what they will deliver. So for me it's all rather exciting. Saying that i wont have any time to look at the damn site as i'm always here hah ha.

Jen

I don't think it's anything to be angry about. It hasn't even come out yet. And things change, it could just be a first step.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Meds

It all looks quite nice to me. I'd quite like to be a captain.

KingIsaacLinksr

idk, maybe it will be better than I currently view it.  Right now, I'm very skeptical.  However, I'm also extremely skeptical about Wow's next expansion.  Minor paranoia I suppose ;)

King

Blackride

King, I am seeing it the same way you are.

Why would I want to start the game as a captain? Maybe I don't even want to be a captain of a ship. I personally like games like DAOC and EQ where you start off killing rats and grow with the characters. I had visions of killing tribbles till I was level 5 :).

Now if the game is more about leveling up your ship rather than your character, then I may see it. That kinda play is not for me but I can understand it.
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Meds

Its intresting seeing all your comments. As i say i'm totally new to this kind of gaming. ( console boy mainly) so for me its exciting whatever happens ha ha.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Blackride on August 03, 2008, 03:58:22 AM
King, I am seeing it the same way you are.

Why would I want to start the game as a captain? Maybe I don't even want to be a captain of a ship. I personally like games like DAOC and EQ where you start off killing rats and grow with the characters. I had visions of killing tribbles till I was level 5 :).

Now if the game is more about leveling up your ship rather than your character, then I may see it. That kinda play is not for me but I can understand it.

If it's all about leveling up a ship, not your character, then it's pretty much a Eve Online MMORPG game.  Just edited.  That already doesn't make me intrigued.  I was originally intrigued but now....idk.  We'll have to see when it comes out.

King

Blackride

Quote from: Kinglinksr on August 03, 2008, 10:05:08 AM

If it's all about leveling up a ship, not your character, then it's pretty much a Eve Online MMORPG game.  Just edited.  That already doesn't make me intrigued.  I was originally intrigued but now....idk.  We'll have to see when it comes out.

King

Hmmm. I really am not "on board" with that concept yet. I never played Eve Online either though. I am sure I will get sucked in though because I am looking for a good MMORPG and I am totally sick of the WoW game/crowd, etc..

Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

X

While I'm not convinced of the changes, perhaps we need to consider the obvious. The first game was kind of huge. I mean the various ships, the developing to get a ship, the many planets. Maybe perpetual bit off more than they could chew. how many delays did they have? the game should have been out years ago.

I think that at this point we might need to compromise what was promised with the perpetual version and what can be accomplished and delivered into a working game.

I would love for a game that had people manning the stations and doing their thing when you went into combat, but I think that we need to realize that the logistics in that will be horrendous.

I'm not going to dismiss the game because of the old promises. I'm still excited by the idea of a MMORPG based on Trek. Given Cryptic constant and FREE updates of their previous games, I trust that they will bring a product out that is both worthy of the Trek legacy and strong enough to have people playing it for years to come.

Blackride

Quote from: Just X on August 03, 2008, 02:03:29 PM
While I'm not convinced of the changes, perhaps we need to consider the obvious. The first game was kind of huge. I mean the various ships, the developing to get a ship, the many planets. Maybe perpetual bit off more than they could chew. how many delays did they have? the game should have been out years ago.

I think that at this point we might need to compromise what was promised with the perpetual version and what can be accomplished and delivered into a working game.

I would love for a game that had people manning the stations and doing their thing when you went into combat, but I think that we need to realize that the logistics in that will be horrendous.

I'm not going to dismiss the game because of the old promises. I'm still excited by the idea of a MMORPG based on Trek. Given Cryptic constant and FREE updates of their previous games, I trust that they will bring a product out that is both worthy of the Trek legacy and strong enough to have people playing it for years to come.

I have to be honest, I compromised for a years in SWG,ShadowBane,Lineage, Planetside  and EQII and I don't think I will be doing it again. I spent a lot of time in those games with empty promises and gurantees that things would be fixed, they didnt. Lately I really have been waiting on the reviews to buy a MMORPG. I do this because its not like a single player game where I could care less about the review. Should a MMORPG get bad reviews you can pretty much kiss it good bye and without a decent population it's pretty much worthless.

I am not over-reacting to what STO is being billed as because it's still very early. I want to like it because it's Trek just like I wanted to like SWG and EQII. Here is hoping it is!

Just my ole 2 cents....

Jen

Quote from: Blackride on August 03, 2008, 03:50:52 PM

I have to be honest, I compromised for a years in SWG,ShadowBane,Lineage, Planetside  and EQII and I don't think I will be doing it again. I spent a lot of time in those games with empty promises and gurantees that things would be fixed, they didnt. Lately I really have been waiting on the reviews to buy a MMORPG. I do this because its not like a single player game where I could care less about the review. Should a MMORPG get bad reviews you can pretty much kiss it good bye and without a decent population it's pretty much worthless.

I am not over-reacting to what STO is being billed as because it's still very early. I want to like it because it's Trek just like I wanted to like SWG and EQII. Here is hoping it is!

Just my ole 2 cents....

Me too. My friends keep asking me to play WOW with them. I don't care for those genres. The only MMO games I will consider are either set in the Star Trek or Star Wars Universe. Why? Cause I would LOVE to visit them. It's escapism. I'd love to take a walk in those realms. SWG has issues, so I've avoided it. I have heard very good reports that Bioware is currently working on a Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic MMO. IF STO blows that's what I'll turn to next. But, I hope STO is a great game. But it's a game... That's all. It's intended to be fun. If it's not... I plan to move on. It's not the end of the world. I'm going to keep that in mind.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

KingIsaacLinksr

I have to agree with Blackride.  Enough effing compromises.  Don't give out promises you cannot keep because it ticks me off and I WILL NOT get it.  We haven't had 1, count it ONE decent Star Trek game in many years.  I'm tired of compromises for the ST universe.  ENOUGH already.  I don't care about logistics but if you find out 1/2 way into pre-production that you can't do it then don't even bother finishing.  You've already ruined the game for everyone. 

I'll also agree with Jen.  Its a game.  But enough with these stupid half-assed games that companies release for Star Trek.  The best one I've seen yet is Star Trek Bridge Commander.  That's it.  Time enough to start releasing games that are good. 

King

Geekyfanboy

King, you act as if you are being personally attacked, like this poor company that took over the Star Trek MMO owes you. If you don't like what you are hearing about this game then don't buy it.. it's that simple. I've never heard anyone so negative about something that is still a long way from being released. Yes they promised something different when they started... but guess what.. things don't always go as planned. If you can do better then by all means create your own Star Trek MMO the way you want it.. you might find out that it's not as easy as you seem to think it is.

I for one am very excited about a Star Trek MMO game... I won't pass judgement on it until it's actually released and I'm playing it.

KingIsaacLinksr

I don't want to sound like I'm feeling like I'm being personally attacked.  I just feel....idk.  I guess I'm just seeing the same pattern that keeps happening in these MMOs today.  They promise things that aren't totally unreasonable and then fail to follow through.  Perhaps the original idea was unfeasible.  But already I see a pattern and I guess I'm just tired of seeing it happen. 

It may very well be that we've reached a limit in MMOs and companies can't keep up with "consumer demand" in this area.  Perhaps we've finally hit the limit for them.  We'll see I guess.  I'm not saying I won't play it, but already I'm skeptical.  And that is rarely good. 

King