• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Star Trek XII in the works

Started by Geekyfanboy, March 30, 2009, 10:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poodyglitz

The thing that irks me about this movie is that it smacks of "Nemesis" and the temporal cold war aspect of "Enterprise". Being face to face with a Romulan doesn't happen until "Balance Of Terror"...or am I being to much of a geek?

Rico

Like we have all been saying, this film will change a lot of what we have known before.

X

Quote from: Darmok on April 01, 2009, 10:26:35 AM
The thing that irks me about this movie is that it smacks of "Nemesis" and the temporal cold war aspect of "Enterprise". Being face to face with a Romulan doesn't happen until "Balance Of Terror"...or am I being to much of a geek?
You're not being geek enough and factoring in time travel altering the past. I'm sure that there were no Federation officers in the 1960's but then Kirk and crew changed that several times.

This is also probably why Cali was nice and sunny with no signs of a Eugenics War when Voyager went back in time. Time travel changes the rules and First Contact is responsible for that. Enterprise exists because Picard chased the Borg back in time. The spacemen from the future line and the presence of the Borg years earlier than expected were big clues that the time line was changed. This doesn't smake of anything to me but a snow ball growing larger.

You go from the future to change the past ... you fix the problem, but you being there changes the past away ... Enterprise and the NX-01's design is a direct result of some people in the past becoming aware of things from the future. This creates and grows to the timeline that becomes this new movie ... Kirk still makes a name for himself ... and Nero goes back to do his bad guy thing ... the look of the ship is changed because design sensibilities were changed from the effect of First Contact. Now someone from this new future goes back and starts the events that will become the new movie.

Jaames

Quote from: Just X on April 01, 2009, 11:34:33 AM
You're not being geek enough and factoring in time travel altering the past. I'm sure that there were no Federation officers in the 1960's but then Kirk and crew changed that several times.

This is also probably why Cali was nice and sunny with no signs of a Eugenics War when Voyager went back in time. Time travel changes the rules and First Contact is responsible for that. Enterprise exists because Picard chased the Borg back in time. The spacemen from the future line and the presence of the Borg years earlier than expected were big clues that the time line was changed. This doesn't smake of anything to me but a snow ball growing larger.

You go from the future to change the past ... you fix the problem, but you being there changes the past away ... Enterprise and the NX-01's design is a direct result of some people in the past becoming aware of things from the future. This creates and grows to the timeline that becomes this new movie ... Kirk still makes a name for himself ... and Nero goes back to do his bad guy thing ... the look of the ship is changed because design sensibilities were changed from the effect of First Contact. Now someone from this new future goes back and starts the events that will become the new movie.

Very well said. I have been saying that I really don't care about the chronology and cannon as long as we get more Trek. But your line of reasoning works. They're not changing the events of Star Trek history so much as exploring the effects that the other movies and shows depictions of time travel have had on the Trek universe.

I love it. Just X, you're my Geek God of the Week.  :Bow:

X

Yeah, that's my weird brain and it having adapted that time isn't linear. There is one new theory that is circulating now that suggests that time doesn't exist and all things are happening at the same time. Einstein's own theories about time makes it subjective and different depending on your speed and location. I figure that if we can get our heads around that and allow time travel to exist in our fantasy, then it makes sense that every trip in time changes something and we then get to look and experience those changes.

For me, this isn't changing Trek history, it's playing by the rules that Gene set up in allowing the future to affect the past. This new movie is just the results of some of that.

Let's just chalk it up as a wibbly-wobbly timey-whimey type thing.

Maybe I'm just missing my fob watch.

Jaames

Quote from: Just X on April 01, 2009, 12:36:14 PM
Yeah, that's my weird brain and it having adapted that time isn't linear. There is one new theory that is circulating now that suggests that time doesn't exist and all things are happening at the same time. Einstein's own theories about time makes it subjective and different depending on your speed and location. I figure that if we can get our heads around that and allow time travel to exist in our fantasy, then it makes sense that every trip in time changes something and we then get to look and experience those changes.

Reading your first paragraph I was going to reply, "Yeah, according to Doctor Who, 'Most people think of time as a straight line, progressing from cause to effect. But it's really more of a bubble of... wibbly, wobbly... timey, whimey... stuff...'." And then you went there...

If I'd known that Time Lords hung out in this forum, I'd have been here long before now. Or maybe I am here long before now?

Poodyglitz

Quote from: Just X on April 01, 2009, 11:34:33 AM
Quote from: Darmok on April 01, 2009, 10:26:35 AM

I like your thinking. It opens up the possibility that Nero's presence in the past creates the opportunity for "Insurrection" and "Nemesis" to be transformed into good movies or erased from the timeline.

Perhaps if the movie is successful, we'll see a Saturday morning cartoon called "Star Trek Babies". :)

Jaames

Quote from: Darmok on April 01, 2009, 01:04:11 PM
Perhaps if the movie is successful, we'll see a Saturday morning cartoon called "Star Trek Babies". :)

I can see it now... "These are the voyages of the Starship Muppetprise..." with Worf, Worf the Klingon, on piano...

(Oh lord, I hope someone gets this joke...  :unsure)

Jaames

Wow, I killed the thread. Sorry...  :eekout

X

You did not, I got the joke, but spent most of the nigh failing to think of a witty response.

moyer777

ANIMAL! ANIMAL! ANIMAL!   :worthy

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Jaames

Quote from: Just X on April 02, 2009, 02:54:56 PM
You did not, I got the joke, but spent most of the nigh failing to think of a witty response.

Quote from: moyer777 on April 02, 2009, 03:12:44 PM
ANIMAL! ANIMAL! ANIMAL!   :worthy

Spoken like gentlemen. Thank you.

You guys let me sweat that one for a full day! 

Poodyglitz

Quote from: Jaames on April 02, 2009, 05:03:19 PM
Quote from: Just X on April 02, 2009, 02:54:56 PM

Quote from: moyer777 on April 02, 2009, 03:12:44 PM
ANIMAL! ANIMAL! ANIMAL!   :worthy

Spoken like gentlemen. Thank you.

You guys let me sweat that one for a full day! 

I just now saw it. I've been face deep in Wordpress, taking the fast track to learning how to alter templates in CSS. What fun. I think the programmers got together and conspired to find a way to take WYSIWYG away from us designers.

If they were to do "Star Trek Babies" now, it would probably be done  in anime style, where they have big eyes like Astro Boy (who, by the way, has a movie coming out).

Meds

I like adventure
I like romance
I love warp speed
Spock dance!!
I've got my computer
I fly through the air
I play darmjot
And I have blue hair
Me, I'm a doctor damn it
Mee mee mee meee!

Is everything all right in here?