• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

The Perfect Sci Fi Woman (to me)

Started by LoneSpar, December 01, 2011, 09:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoneSpar

I have always thought of Nova from Planet of the Apes, Linda Harrison, as the perfect sci fi woman. 

She is extremely good looking and quiet!

Bromptonboy

Nice choice - and a great movie!  I recall reading someplace that she was the Producers girl friend..  :)
Pete

X

An ex of mine has similar features ... really similar features ... kinda spooky actually, but yeah, she's nice on the eyes.

billybob476

I prefer my sci fi women to be scrappier, like Starbuck :)

X

Quote from: billybob476 on December 02, 2011, 06:07:34 AM
I like my women both sci-fi and IRL to have a bit of crazy to them. Not too much crazy, but a little edge of crazy is so damned sexy.

QuadShot

Yeah, but the whole cigar smoking thing...YUCK!

Jobydrone

"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

spaltor

Quote from: LoneSpar on December 01, 2011, 09:53:42 PM
I have always thought of Nova from Planet of the Apes, Linda Harrison, as the perfect sci fi woman. 

Please keep in mind that there are women that frequent these boards.  Although you probably didn't intend it this way, that statement can come across very derogatory.  It's as if you're saying "women only have worth if they're traditionally attractive, scantily clad, and quiet."

I don't want to start anything here, and I really struggled about even posting this message.  Especially because this is generally a very accepting and open community.  But this statement was eating away at me, and I couldn't stop thinking about it this morning. 

Again, I know that you likely did not intend this meaning and I'm really not a crazy feminist, but that is how it reads to me. 

Please be a little more careful about the way you word that type of thing.  Or post things like this in the "Babes of Sci-Fi" section, which the women here (at least, the ones I've spoken to) tend to avoid.

Thank you. 

(Mods, I understand if you feel the need to remove this post.  I just couldn't get it out of my mind.)

billybob476

Moved to the babes/hunks forum. No worries!

Bryancd

Starbuck is my wife's hero. :) She even named her new bike "Starbuck" to make sure it was the appropriate level of bad ass. :)

Bryancd

Quote from: spaltor on December 02, 2011, 07:24:58 AM

Please keep in mind that there are women that frequent these boards.  Although you probably didn't intend it this way, that statement can come across very derogatory.  It's as if you're saying "women only have worth if they're traditionally attractive, scantily clad, and quiet."

I don't want to start anything here, and I really struggled about even posting this message.  Especially because this is generally a very accepting and open community.  But this statement was eating away at me, and I couldn't stop thinking about it this morning. 

Again, I know that you likely did not intend this meaning and I'm really not a crazy feminist, but that is how it reads to me. 

Please be a little more careful about the way you word that type of thing.  Or post things like this in the "Babes of Sci-Fi" section, which the women here (at least, the ones I've spoken to) tend to avoid.

Thank you. 

(Mods, I understand if you feel the need to remove this post.  I just couldn't get it out of my mind.)

never feel like you can't express your opinions or thoughts on this forum, ever. :) And I think your sensitivity to the comment is totally understandable and I agree perhaps the intent was more benign.

billybob476

Quote from: Bryancd on December 02, 2011, 07:44:58 AM

Starbuck is my wife's hero. :) She even named her new bike "Starbuck" to make sure it was the appropriate level of bad ass. :)

Apollo is my wife's hero :)

Jobydrone

@Spaltor

I'd be the first person standing up in protest if your post got removed!  I apologize from the bottom of my heart if you were offended by my comment, and please let me say that my wife's big mouth is one of her most endearing qualities that I'd never try to change even if there was the slightest possibility that I could.  I knew what I was in for when I married her...(sort of)
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

X

Quote from: spaltor on December 02, 2011, 07:24:58 AM

Thank you. 

I understand where you are coming from, but I saw it as something other than what you saw. I saw it as a tongue in cheek joke about women having to be quiet in days and films of yore. I also don't think that being quite is something offensive. Some people regardless of gender can range on the quiet side. I know plenty of people that are attracted to the quiet time from both sides of the gender aisle and I'm not seeing the same offense that you are. I do understand where you might get offended, but we have to make a lot of assumptions on the meaning of what was written for that. Sometimes, we look for hidden meaning when things should be taken at face value and at face value, there is really nothing at all wrong with being attracted to pretty and quiet women. There are many out there and I honestly think it's by choice and not because they are feeling repressed and that they can't speak their minds.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, but I do respect what you had to say and I can see your point.

Rico

I'm pretty sure LoneSpar was making a little joke based on Nova having very few words in the film.  Just keep in mind that the "intent" of any statement on a forum is sometimes a tricky thing to read.

P.S.  Oh, and for the record I think everyone here know's who my favorite Sci-Fi woman is.  A certain Viper pilot who is never quiet.  ;)