• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Big News from Comic-Con. Batman and Superman movie

Started by writerinthewild, July 20, 2013, 06:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisMC

They say he is the one that WB wants, he may be a little old but who cares.  Breaking Bad back this weekend!
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Poodyglitz

Quote from: ElfManDan on July 30, 2013, 02:45:42 PM
The only reason the Marvel movies are getting a lot more credit is because they are actually good.

It would seem that over the years, Marvel has done better at the movies and DC has had more success with TV shows. One of my all-time favorite superhero TV shows is "The Flash" with John Wesley Shipp.

Bryancd

Really begs the question even more of why reboot Batman in this sequel if you get a Brian Cranston? Just dumb.

ChrisMC

Quote from: Darmok on August 09, 2013, 03:47:55 PM
Quote from: ElfManDan on July 30, 2013, 02:45:42 PM
The only reason the Marvel movies are getting a lot more credit is because they are actually good.

It would seem that over the years, Marvel has done better at the movies and DC has had more success with TV shows. One of my all-time favorite superhero TV shows is "The Flash" with John Wesley Shipp.
The Flash is coming back next year after the character appears on Arrow.

I agree Bryan, I really get a funny feeling that they are shoving alot of stuff into this next Superman movie.

Bryancd

I get the impression that the studios must be a little disappointed with what, $650M?

ChrisMC

Yeah, what a bomb right? This is why the current Hollywood model is going to implode on itself.

Bryancd

Quote from: ChrisMC on August 09, 2013, 04:22:02 PM
Yeah, what a bomb right? This is why the current Hollywood model is going to implode on itself.

When compared to an Ironman or Avengers or Batman, al of which went north of $1B globally, yes, that is a failure of sorts. When you have the most iconic superhero of all time expectations are going to be absurd.  I agree the implosion of the event, $1B box office film is nigh, but MOS wasn't as strong as those other films either.

Meds

So it's Ben Affleck playing Batman. Already I've read people moaning, really get a grip. The key is Bruce Wayne, you need an actor who can pull off a good Wayne and he can. Look at Argo and Runner Runner both different roles and he pulls it off.
Any one can put a cowl on but you need someone (like Keaton) who can do both.

ChrisMC

He's a good enough actor, he's got some age, and hopefully he won't growl like a junkyard dog when he is Batman. I'm on board.

Bromptonboy

I can't get past the whole 'Bennifer' thing..  ;) 

But I am not a series fan, so my opinion doesn't really come into it.
Pete

Rico

I like the idea. An unknown would have been fine in my view but Affleck can act and looks the part too. He was pumped up in "The Town" so I can buy him as Batman.  They should take this chance to also show how smart Bruce is too. That is his real power. He is a master detective and tactician.

Bryancd

Huh. Well, I like him well enough, I think he is a serviceable actor. I think genre fans are likely feeling burned as his one foray into the superhero world was a mixed bag based on what i have heard, I never saw Daredevil. I associate him as being more a dramatic actor with a touch of comedic flare, not that that would preclude from being dark and brooding and Bat-like. In a more cosmic view, this choice appears to be a vieled attempt by DC to bait a wider audience into this franchise which sort of reinforces my theory that they are a little unsure about Superman. The film was met with decidedly mixed feelings, decent box office, OK reviews. By suddenly trying to throw batman into the mix, it seemed like a hail Mary to build early hype but also spoke somewhat to a little anxiety as to weather or not Caville's Superman could carry the next film on his own. I think he can, but they decide to throw in batman and now a Ben Affleck Batman. I don't know, just spit balling, but that's what it looks like to me.

Rico

None of that matters much if he does a good job and they have a good script.  I myself have always thought Affleck is much more talented and skilled and smart than many give him credit for.

Bryancd

No it doesn't matter to the finish product and I didn't knock Affleck. I am addressing what appears to be the marketing strategy of DC.

Bryancd

Can't take credit for this, it was posted over on the RPF, but thought it was funny.
"WB Exec 1: Now, for the casting of Batman, should we stretch ourselves, take a creative risk, and choose a slightly older actor with the acting chops to pull off a Superman vs. Batman conforntation—an actor that isn't so well-known that it will be difficult for fans to associate him with this iconic role?

WB Exec 2: Hmmm...nah, let's just call Ben Affleck.

[sigh]"