• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

BSG Season 4 News (may contain slight spoilers)

Started by Geekyfanboy, December 12, 2007, 11:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Gaos

Or creepy Japanese girl robot......man that thing gives me the heebi-jeebies
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

Darkmolerman

Wow that was so awesome

[spoiler] the end part creeped me out because I thought they were saying the cycle won't be broken, I actually cried when Roslyn died! the last time I even shed a tear was when Rorschach died in Watchmen. I loved the CGI.I am glad chief avenged his wife that was an awesome scene of mayhem[/spoiler]
"He can't act out of a cardboard box"- Rick Moyer

"I know the answer now sometimes the doctor must look at this planet and look at it in shame" -Gwen Cooper

Bryancd

Awesome finale, more on that later, but why did Bear McReady rip off the soundtrack from A L I E N ?

Dangelus

A very end to the series!

[spoiler]I wonder if will will see some novels appear now to tie in the Galactica people to Earth ancient civilizations etc. That would make some good reading![/spoiler]

Sphere

Rico

Quote from: Bryancd on March 21, 2009, 10:07:06 PM
Awesome finale, more on that later, but why did Bear McReady rip off the soundtrack from A L I E N ?

What part was that Bryan?

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on March 22, 2009, 05:22:56 AM
Quote from: Bryancd on March 21, 2009, 10:07:06 PM

What part was that Bryan?

The musical score when they were down on Earth. The musical cue's were from A L I E N. I heard it right away. I'll see if I can find an audio clip to post so you can hear it.

Rico

wraith1701

Quote from: Just X[spoiler] With Hera being Mitochondria Eve and all humans in our time being descendant of her, Kara was the Harbinger of Death. None of those 36,000 people went on to have families of their own. Humanity died and was reborn through Hera on Earth.[/spoiler]

I brought that up on another forum, and a friend there pointed out that this might not necessarily be true- [spoiler] The survivors likely had families, and eventually interbred with some of the proto-humans.  Hera as Eve just means that their lines ended up crossing with Hera's line, resulting in her genes being shared by all of current humanity. [/spoiler]  But the prophecy about Kara's status could sill be interpreted as accurate.  Her [spoiler] punching in the notes to take the Galactica on a jump to our Earth effectively killed the Old Girl; as Tigh said, 'breaking her back'. Kara was the Harbinger Of Death for the Galactica, which in many ways was one of the main characters of the show. [/spoiler].

X

Quote from: wraith1701 on March 22, 2009, 09:20:02 AM
Quote from: Just X[spoiler] With Hera being Mitochondria Eve and all humans in our time being descendant of her, Kara was the Harbinger of Death. None of those 36,000 people went on to have families of their own. Humanity died and was reborn through Hera on Earth.[/spoiler]

I brought that up on another forum, and a friend there pointed out that this might not necessarily be true- [spoiler] The survivors likely had families, and eventually interbred with some of the proto-humans.  Hera as Eve just means that their lines ended up crossing with Hera's line, resulting in her genes being shared by all of current humanity. [/spoiler]  But the prophecy about Kara's status could sill be interpreted as accurate.  Her [spoiler] punching in the notes to take the Galactica on a jump to our Earth effectively killed the Old Girl; as Tigh said, 'breaking her back'. Kara was the Harbinger Of Death for the Galactica, which in many ways was one of the main characters of the show. [/spoiler].

the only problem with that is:

[spoiler]Mitochondrial DNA is only passed from mother to child. It isn't inherited from the father's side and that would mean that anyone else that was a female and had daughter would need to be wiped out for only Hera's mitochondria dna to be present in all of humanity.

I like what they tried to do, but the science isn't there for that jump. Here is something fun to read about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve[/spoiler]

Geekyfanboy

Just finished the finale and I'm a mess.. previous posts brought up some of my favorite scenes so I won't repeat them. I teared up many times through out the two hours but I think Adama giving Roslyn his wedding ring did me in.

It was a fantastic ending to a wonderful TV series.

wraith1701

Quote from: Just X on March 22, 2009, 09:54:52 AM
Quote from: wraith1701 on March 22, 2009, 09:20:02 AM

the only problem with that is:

[spoiler]Mitochondrial DNA is only passed from mother to child. It isn't inherited from the father's side and that would mean that anyone else that was a female and had daughter would need to be wiped out for only Hera's mitochondria dna to be present in all of humanity.[/spoiler]

What about the folks who had sons? [spoiler]  If the sons had children with the female descendants of Hera, wouldn't they carry the same DNA?  And when jump technology, artificial gravity, and reincarnation through Downloading are possible, I don't think it's too far a stretch to think that maybe Hera had some type of genetics that operated differently from how our science understands them to work. [/spoiler]

On another note; I was inspired to track down this video.  When I was a kid, the opening monologue really fired up my imagination.  I still get goosebumps listening to it today.  :)

Feathers

I'm the same. I probably couldn't stand to watch the series again but that whole opening was always brilliant in my view.

Can't-remember-his-name Hyde-White did the the monologue. It always surprised me to hear an English voice at a time when all Sci-Fi apart from Doctor Who appeared to be US made.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

M-5

Quote from: Feathers on March 22, 2009, 11:21:51 AM
I'm the same. I probably couldn't stand to watch the series again but that whole opening was always brilliant in my view.

Can't-remember-his-name Hyde-White did the the monologue. It always surprised me to hear an English voice at a time when all Sci-Fi apart from Doctor Who appeared to be US made.

Patrick Macnee did the voice over for opening of Original Battlestar Galactica.  He was also Court Iblis in War of the Gods and the voice of the Imperious Leader.

Dangelus

Maybe I'm going crazy but I'm sure I remember a scene (not sure if it was in the mini series or an early season) where a character is whistling the theme tune to Original BSG. I remember thinking that was pretty cool!