• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Kröd Mändoon and The Flaming Sword of Fire

Started by Geekyfanboy, April 02, 2009, 11:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

I just came across an ad for this and it looked interesting so I checked it out.

It's either going to be super funny or super stupid

Here's a synopsis... British comedic icon Matt Lucas ("Little Britain") is set to join Sean Maguire ("Meet the Spartans") and the talented ensemble cast of COMEDY CENTRAL's epic new series "Kröd Mändoon and The Flaming Sword of Fire," the all-comedy network's first foray into fantasy-comedy. Recently wrapping production in Budapest, Hungary, the series is set to premiere on Apirl 9th, 2009.

India de Beaufort ("Run, Fatboy, Run"), Steve Speirs ("Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest"), Kevin Hart ("Fool's Gold"), Emmy Award-nominated John Rhys-Davies ("The Lord of the Rings"), James Murray ("Primeval") and Marques Ray ("Nick Cannon Presents: Wild 'N Out") round out this exceptional ensemble cast.

"After a long and extensive search, we are thrilled to lock in the perfect cast for this unique series that is best described as 'Monty Python' meets 'The Princess Bride,'" said Lauren Corrao, president, original programming and development, COMEDY CENTRAL. "Each talented actor brings their distinctive voice to these well-crafted, hilarious characters that inhabit the world that is Kröd Mändoon."

"Kröd Mändoon and The Flaming Sword of Fire" is a groundbreaking action-comedy that is equal parts workplace comedy and sword and sorcery fun. An outrageous, live-action, character-driven show set in an ancient fantasy realm, the series follows reluctant hero Kröd Mändoon (Maguire), a thin-skinned and underconfident freedom fighter, who is the last great hope in the struggle against the evil ruler, Chancellor Dongalor (Lucas). To help fight the great fight, Kröd has assembled a band of remarkably ineffectual freedom fighters: Aneka (de Beaufort), the beautiful Pagan warrioress whose weapon of choice is sex, Loquasto (Speirs), the oafish servant with bad aim, Zezelryck (Hart), the young warlock whose greatest magical gift is spinning BS, and Bruce (Ray), who's simply fabulous. Together, they must overcome a myriad of evil obstacles in their quest to save the world, including name-calling, hired assassins and bad hair days.

Geekyfanboy

Hmmm no responses.. guess I'll be the only one watching this tonight...

Review: A fantasy hero embraces his inner Mel Brooks in Krod Mandoon

Hark, it's a journey into an ancient realm as a reluctant hero and his faithful band of followers take on an oppressive evil that has swept the land. Could it be Son of Legend of the Seeker, or maybe even Lord of the Rings Redux? Nope. This hero is a thin-skinned germaphobe whose sword bursts into flames when he least expects it (and accidentally sets the odd tavern on fire) and who regularly gets shot with arrows by one of his own men.

In fact, he is the Krod in the Comedy Central's Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire, the network's first half-hour live-action fantasy comedy. The "character-driven workplace comedy" is actually built on a recipe of Spaceballs and Legend of the Seeker, with a dash of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys. Mix it all together in a big pot and add a bit of sex and incompetence, and you have Krod Mandoon.
Review: A fantasy hero embraces his inner Mel Brooks in \<em\>Krod Mandoon\<\/em\>

In the special one-hour pilot, which premieres on Thursday, April 9, at 10 p.m. ET/PT, we meet Krod (Sean Maguire), a resistance fighter who soon discovers the reason his sword keeps bursting into flames is because he's the "Golden One" and it's been foretold that he is destined to stop the evil Chancellor Dongalor's (Matt Lucas) reign of terror and bad clothing choices.

Krod, the son of a blacksmith and a stay-at-home mom, sets out with his loyal band of challenged warriors to save his mentor, General Arcadius, who is trapped in Chancellor Dongalor's dungeon. His not-so-merry band includes his beautiful Pagan girlfriend, Aneka (India de Beaufort), his half-human/half-swine servant, Loquasto (Steve Speirs), and a magic-challenged warlock named Zezelryck (Kevin Hart).

The journey will pit Krod against his old enemy, Dongalor, who is in possession of a weapon of mass destruction called the Eye of Gulga Grymna. Now if only Dongalor could get the darned thing turned on.

While Krod is concerned about saving the general and stopping Dongalor, his really big problem is that Aneka keeps having sex with the enemy. Yes, it's for really important reasons, like getting the keys to the dungeon or getting directions, but Krod has issues and Aneka doesn't want to go to couples counseling. It's tough being a hero, especially one with bad hair.

So, is it funny? Sometimes, yes. Too often, no. But once in a while it is laugh-out-loud funny, and that makes Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire worth watching. The cast and crew work incredibly hard, and they embrace their inner Mel Brooks at every turn. Every "hero's journey" convention is skewered, and nothing is left sacred, which is as it should be.

The cast playfully embraces the material, and Sean Maguire is an excellent Krod. However, Matt Lucas as Chancellor Dongalor and Alex McQueen as his administrative assistant Barnabus, steal a bit of the good guys' thunder as they embody their comically evil characters to great effect.

Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire looks to be a good addition to Comedy Central's lineup. Creator Peter A. Knight has managed to take very familiar material and twist and turn it on its head while thoroughly capturing the spirit that makes Krod an epic fantasy of comic proportions.

Rico

Thanks for the reminder Kenny.  I plan on giving it a look.

sheldor

Ok, I watched the first episode.   I would rather watch Saturday night Sci-Fi movies.

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: marcnrow on April 10, 2009, 05:55:24 AM
Ok, I watched the first episode.   I would rather watch Saturday night Sci-Fi movies.

Well there is a big difference between Krod and Saturday night Scifi movies..

Krod is suppose to cheesy, stupid and funny..

Geekyfanboy

Just watched the first episode and both Harry and I laughed alot. It's pretty funny.. I'm sure the humor isn't for everyone. I look forward to watching more.

Rico

I'm not sure about this show.  I watched the first two episodes and it just didn't seem funny to me.  Seemed kind of forced.  I thought most of the jokes were kind of ordinary.  The gay humor was a bit sad too, I thought.  I guess this one might not be for me.