• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

"STAR TREK" movie comments/reviews (spoilers)

Started by Rico, May 03, 2009, 12:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golum113

Quote from: Bryancd on June 05, 2009, 04:39:59 PM
OK, here is new Enterprise scaling I can live with...

it like the ship took some steroids

Jobydrone

I just watched the movie again (4th or 5th time I think) and a concern I had came to mind during the scene where "old" Spock meets Kirk for the first time.  They share a mind meld to make it easier for Spock to relay the events that led up to the events of the movie.  Now I'm not sure if anyone really knows how the mind meld works entirely, and maybe I am misunderstanding, but does anyone else see the potential problems for young Kirk to have access to all the knowledge and experiences of old Spock, including their history together, the results of all their future missions, and the details of his own death?
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

The simple answer is, old Spock only related what was needed.  Not all the past details, but just mainly about Nero and that situation.

Jobydrone

I figured there was a simple explanation like that.  I remember thinking the first time I saw it, that if Nimoy was going to provide a voice over explaining the whole situation, which took about thirty seconds screen time, what was the point of the mind meld anyway?  He could have just explained it all without the trauma and weirdness of a meld.  I guess the writers would have had to find another opportunity to drop in a mind meld somewhere, though, or Vulcan fans would have cried.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

X

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on June 09, 2009, 10:47:23 AM
I figured there was a simple explanation like that.  I remember thinking the first time I saw it, that if Nimoy was going to provide a voice over explaining the whole situation, which took about thirty seconds screen time, what was the point of the mind meld anyway?  He could have just explained it all without the trauma and weirdness of a meld.  I guess the writers would have had to find another opportunity to drop in a mind meld somewhere, though, or Vulcan fans would have cried.
Any loon could say that they came from the future. The meld was there to confirm the validity of Spock's words. He shared those memories with Kirk to prove that they happened.

wraith1701

More From ILM on Enterprise dimensions-

◦shuttle: 30 feet long ( handled by ILM) [*9m long*]
◦Enterprise: 2,357 feet long (ILM) [*about 718m long*]
◦Narada 5 miles long + drill cable also 5 miles (ILM) [*8,046.72m long*]

For reference,
Excelsior Class- 467 meters
Galaxy Class- 642 meters
Sovereign Class- 685 meters

Source Link: CLICK For Full Article @ Trekmovie dot com

Bryancd

Quote from: wraith1701 on June 10, 2009, 06:36:11 AM
More From ILM on Enterprise dimensions-

◦shuttle: 30 feet long ( handled by ILM) [*9m long*]
◦Enterprise: 2,357 feet long (ILM) [*about 718m long*]
◦Narada 5 miles long + drill cable also 5 miles (ILM) [*8,046.72m long*]

For reference,
Excelsior Class- 467 meters
Galaxy Class- 642 meters
Sovereign Class- 685 meters

Source Link: CLICK For Full Article @ Trekmovie dot com

Oh Lord.    :wacko

billybob476

Bryancd

LOL! Hey, if you go look at Rico's pic of the day and click on te article where ILM makes this "claim", check out the image of Kirk on his bike looking at the E under construction. You can see the silhouette of two peopel standing below the forward torpedo launcher. That image was what the guy used to scale the ship in my pic a few pages back, which made the ship more like 450 meters! ILM can't even get this right!

Rico

Maybe the ship is inflatable and they blew it up bigger later on!  LOL!!!  Bottom line is it's just one of those movie goofs that will live on forever.  I don't have a big problem with it.

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on June 10, 2009, 07:32:57 AM
Maybe the ship is inflatable and they blew it up bigger later on!  LOL!!!  

Best answer yet!!!  :roflmao

dataskatt

I loved the movie, except for destroying Vulcan. I understand this is an alternate timeline, and I'm starting to accept it a little better, but still....it's Vulcan!

The acting was great. I appreciated all of the "nods" to the original series/cast. The only actor I couldn't quite "get" was Simon Pegg as Scotty. Maybe because he had so little screen time.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Ursula

I felt the same way about the destruction of Vulcan.  It was just too harsh.  Absolutely loved the film though.  Came out of it buzzed and the buzz kept up for the rest of the day.

billybob476

Quote from: dataskatt on June 10, 2009, 06:20:05 PM
I loved the movie, except for destroying Vulcan. I understand this is an alternate timeline, and I'm starting to accept it a little better, but still....it's Vulcan!
...an that's exactly why they did it. To get people to react like that. If [Unknown planet 7] was destroyed t wouldn't have mattered to us.

Bryancd

Quote from: billybob476 on June 11, 2009, 04:34:02 AM
Quote from: dataskatt on June 10, 2009, 06:20:05 PM
...an that's exactly why they did it. To get people to react like that. If [Unknown planet 7] was destroyed t wouldn't have mattered to us.

...also creates a whole new and interesting dynamic for the Vulcan race we have never explored before. Vulcan's as an endangered species, good stuff and full of potential story telling.