• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

"DIABLO III"

Started by Rico, June 28, 2008, 04:58:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: billybob476 on October 24, 2011, 09:09:59 AM
I'll be buying Diablo seperately but I think this is a cool idea overall. People will always complain about initiatives that involve their money. What would have been very cool is an additional discount to the monthly fee, then again getting what will likely be a 60 dollar game for free covers a good few months.

There hasn't been any complaining about this initiative (that I've heard).  Its aimed at the Panda-expansion coming soon.  This is a pretty cool idea, but I stated earlier that I have no intention of buying this game while Microtransactions and Always-Online stay in this game. 

Call me old fashioned, but when I pay $60, I want my $60 to actually pay for the game. 

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Jobydrone

I would be shocked beyond belief if the Pandarin expac comes out within the next 12 months.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on October 24, 2011, 10:29:21 AM
I'll be buying Diablo seperately but I think this is a cool idea overall. People will always complain about initiatives that involve their money. What would have been very cool is an additional discount to the monthly fee, then again getting what will likely be a 60 dollar game for free covers a good few months.

There hasn't been any complaining about this initiative (that I've heard).  Its aimed at the Panda-expansion coming soon.  This is a pretty cool idea, but I stated earlier that I have no intention of buying this game while Microtransactions and Always-Online stay in this game. 

Call me old fashioned, but when I pay $60, I want my $60 to actually pay for the game. 

King

Call me old fashioned, but I like getting a $60 game for free!

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Rico on October 24, 2011, 01:59:07 PM
Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on October 24, 2011, 10:29:21 AM

King

Call me old fashioned, but I like getting a $60 game for free!

Sorry, I meant if I were to get this without a Wow sub.  As I have no plan to return to Wow right now.  :)

King

Rico

Tim, obviously you can buy Diablo 3 without WOW.  I just look at this all as a nice little free perk to those of us still playing WOW.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Rico on October 24, 2011, 02:19:41 PM
Tim, obviously you can buy Diablo 3 without WOW.  I just look at this all as a nice little free perk to those of us still playing WOW.

No no, sorry, I don't think I was clear on what I meant. Since the game now has microtransactions built in, its made it an unnattractive buy.  I view microtransactions very poorly when I pay full price for a game, as it's hard not to see it as being greedy.  Sure, companies are doing this right now, but that doesn't make it right.  -Hence, why I'm not buying it. 

King

Rico

Ahh, so you have no interest in playing WOW or Diablo 3.  Gotcha!

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Rico on October 24, 2011, 02:30:27 PM
Ahh, so you have no interest in playing WOW or Diablo 3.  Gotcha!

I did have interest in playing Diablo 3, I have played #2 many years back.  But yeah, that sums it up. 

King

Rico

Here's my new Tyrael charger mount that I got for signing up for the WOW and Diablo 3 deal.  It's really beautiful in the game as you fly around on it.

Jobydrone

Ha, looks like your little gnome has lightning shooting out of his nether region. Poor Reico, some bad Mexican or something?
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on November 30, 2011, 07:54:05 PM
Ha, looks like your little gnome has lightning shooting out of his nether region. Poor Reico, some bad Mexican or something?

Very hard to get a good screenshot flying on a winged horse as it flaps.  Besides, I'm short too!

X

Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on October 24, 2011, 02:25:05 PM

No no, sorry, I don't think I was clear on what I meant. Since the game now has microtransactions built in, its made it an unnattractive buy.  I view microtransactions very poorly when I pay full price for a game, as it's hard not to see it as being greedy.  Sure, companies are doing this right now, but that doesn't make it right.  -Hence, why I'm not buying it. 

King
Dude, you aren't reading what they are writing. You don't have to buy anything. There will still be a normal auction house where you can spend gold. In addition to that, there will be a cash auction house where YOU can actually sell some of that rare stuff to someone that doesn't have the time to grind. How is this ANY different from all of the gold sellers that pop up on games ... well, other than there being a need for said gold sellers to hack your account and use it to sell  their wares? By including a cash auction house, you curb the black market ...

They are not setting up micro transactions to get more money from you. They are setting up an auction house in game where cash is king. You are not getting nickle'd and dime'd by needing to pay to unlock content. You are paying, and only if you choose, for stuff you want to buy optionally.

I'm not getting it either, but only because I don't want it and feel that the window of my interest closed at the turn of the new century. I see no problems with what they have coming and think it's kind of cool, but ... it's been a long road getting from there to here. It's been a long time ...

Jobydrone

I'm still looking forward to this game.  I agree with Chris in that the genre is a bit tired, but I'll always be a sucker for questing, killing bosses, and getting loot.  What I hate is grinding...boring, repetitive button mashing (or clicking in this case) is simply not rewarding to me.  Fortunately the great thing about Blizz games, especially WoW and Diablo, is how they manage to mask or hide the grind by keeping things fresh and interesting.  I'm hoping they've accomplished this in Diablo 3.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: X on December 01, 2011, 06:59:54 AM
Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on October 24, 2011, 02:25:05 PM

King
Dude, you aren't reading what they are writing. You don't have to buy anything. There will still be a normal auction house where you can spend gold. In addition to that, there will be a cash auction house where YOU can actually sell some of that rare stuff to someone that doesn't have the time to grind. How is this ANY different from all of the gold sellers that pop up on games ... well, other than there being a need for said gold sellers to hack your account and use it to sell  their wares? By including a cash auction house, you curb the black market ...

They are not setting up micro transactions to get more money from you. They are setting up an auction house in game where cash is king. You are not getting nickle'd and dime'd by needing to pay to unlock content. You are paying, and only if you choose, for stuff you want to buy optionally.

I'm not getting it either, but only because I don't want it and feel that the window of my interest closed at the turn of the new century. I see no problems with what they have coming and think it's kind of cool, but ... it's been a long road getting from there to here. It's been a long time ...

Geez that post was poorly worded, clearly I wasn't paying attention in October.  Yeah, your right Chris, I did that badly :\.  Although to be fair, in October I had knee-jerk reaction on Micro-transactions...so...anyway, back to the point. 

I get what your saying Chris and I don't dispute it.  My issue is with pay-to-win.  But I guess it happens so what can I do about it, besides ignoring games that have that potential. 

At this point, Diablo 3 should be known as World of Diablo because it almost has all the features of an MMO.  Then I and many other gamers wouldn't have such an issue with all these "features".  But meh, whatever, its a point of view, nothing more. 

I'm still not going to get the game, but that's more or less a lack of interest. 

King

Rico