• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Star Trek V most like tos?

Started by mac1701, December 23, 2011, 07:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac1701

I understand that overall it is a bad movie, but there are so many moments that are so much like tos. Some great scenes. Thoughts?

turtlesrock

yea, i guess it is quite a bit like tos. i hadn't thought about that before but i guess it is.
i thought that the whole idea of the movie was much like the general idea of a star trek episode. person wants to do something to change the universe, needing to do something major to achieve their goals in the process, kirk tries to stop them (red shirt dies, he's dead jim) universe saved. also how it dug deeper into the past of a main character, that's another common trait.
there were also a few different things from tos as well, my favorite being when scotty hits his head on a bulkhead. not so common among the classic episodes, but funny nonetheless. :D

WillEagle

One of my least favorite of the series but one that I still enjoyed. I enjoyed the parts where some of the main characters got a moment in the sun, so to speak. Chekov on the bridge waiting for the klingons to show up. Uhura doing her dance. And i liked the brig scene and the breakout by Scotty. This was the 1st Star Trek movie I saw with my wife also. Of couse we were not married yet.

mac1701

I love the interaction between the main trio. It could have been a better movie if shatner could have done what he wanted. The sfx were really bad and the ending suffered because of that.

ChrisMC

I liked it OK, the relationships with Spock, Kirk, and McCoy was pretty good but the rest of the characters seemed "off" to me. The whole movie was a little askew. But I still like it because it's Star Trek, I'm just not in a huge rush to put the BluRay on.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Rico

This movie has always held kind of a sweet spot for me.  I think it has some great moments between the main trio - some of the best actually.  I also like the whole idea of "searching for god" that they tried to do.  It might not be the strongest of the Trek movies, but I still enjoy watching it a great deal.

M-5

Quote from: Rico on December 24, 2011, 07:16:19 AM
This movie has always held kind of a sweet spot for me.  I think it has some great moments between the main trio - some of the best actually.  I also like the whole idea of "searching for god" that they tried to do.  It might not be the strongest of the Trek movies, but I still enjoy watching it a great deal.
I'm with you, Rico.  I've always liked The Final Frontier.  It has some really great Star Trek moments in it.  I know I'm in the minority, but I stil like it.

PortlandJosh

I loved this film partially just because it's trek, and partially because, of all the trek movies it's the one that I think strays most into classic science fiction territory.  It really pushes the boundaries of the known.  Plus the campfire scene is one of my most loved of all trek.  Row row row your boat, gently down the stream~

Zarabeth32

I did like this movie despite the bad rap it got. My favorite scene is where Kirk is still on the planet and the Klingons are attacking the Enterprise and Spock needs assistance from the elder Klingon. "You require my assistance?" "You are his superior officer." "I am an old fool." "Damn you sir! You will try!" I loved it that Spock got po'd enough to emote just enough to get the Klingon's attention.  ;)

Z
In honor of my still living father - "I drank what?"

Zarabeth32

I used to go back and rewind that scene over and over again just to see Spock get mad. LOL! ;D

davekill

I loved the desert scene where Sybok rides up on horse back - beautifully shot.
Great crew interactions too, I felt we got a chance to know the command staff better.
The whole cult like search for god was too melodramatic and left me cold, I'd rather they had gone of to investigate a haunted space station.

Instead of protesting  with "I need my pain!", I wonder how young Kirk would have dealt with this?

Jobydrone

This is probably the most love this movie has gotten in one place since it's release.  Only at Treks in Sci Fi!

I agree that the main trio interactions almost make the whole film worthwhile.  The opening and closing of the film in the camping scenes are some of the strongest of the whole series imo, and introduces such a poigniant element to the friendship regarding Kirk's foreknowledge that he could not die while his friends were with him.  Quite prophetic considering his ultimate end.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bryancd

You know, honestly most of the film is pretty good, with some really good parts, but it's the ending that is so hugely dissapointing and poorly done that I think leaves such a bad tatse in peoples mouths. With the exception of the last 10min, I can't think of any other part that really makes me cringe too bad.

QuadShot

Quote from: Chris-El on December 24, 2011, 06:29:09 AM
I liked it OK, the relationships with Spock, Kirk, and McCoy was pretty good but the rest of the characters seemed "off" to me. The whole movie was a little askew. But I still like it because it's Star Trek, I'm just not in a huge rush to put the BluRay on.

Chris...askew? Dude you can't use words like that here! :) Too complicated!! :)

Zarabeth32

Another thing I always wondered about is: Did they really call Marshmallows, Marshmelons and why? Were they not allowed to say marshmallows? Is the label copyrighted?

Just curious...  :o

Z