• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Netflix streaming...

Started by MARKO, October 18, 2011, 09:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MARKO

Netflix just added a few new flix to their streaming..... Tron and a few others, i use this link when i wanna see what is new www.instantwatcher.com

Marko
"Amat Victoria Curam"

KingIsaacLinksr

ooo thanks for that link, that will be very helpful :)

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

WillEagle

Pretty good list. I might try and catch The Walking Dead series and Tron Legacy.

Jobydrone

Thanks for the link!  My Netflix recommends nothing but kids shows and cartoons cuz my kids use it about 99% more than me, so I will definitely use that site
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

matagin

Netflix Streaming is about the same as the Walmart $5 bin right now.

WillEagle

Not really. They have movies on there that haven't made it to the $5 bin. The Expendables for example.

Jobydrone

Some disturbing new today about Netflix allowing some licenses to expire and removing almost 2,000 titles from their instant streaming library.  Apparently this is in part due to their desire to shift their focus to more original programming.  I hope that not too much of my huge instant queue that I plan to watch "someday" doesn't disappear today. :(  Full article below:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/1/4289180/netflix-removing-1794-titles-from-streaming-catalogue

Netflix removing 1,794 titles from streaming catalogue, licensing agreements expiring

By Alexa Ray Corrieaon May 01, 2013 at 9:30a @AlexaRayC

Netflix will drop 1,794 titles from its streaming library this month due to the expiration of licensing agreements with several studios, according to Netflix content cataloguing site InstantWatcher.

The Netflix streaming service is currently available on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii, Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS and PlayStation Vita handhelds. Content slated for removal includes 15 seasons of Comedy Central's South Park, older classics horror movies and early films from the James Bond franchise. Slate reports studios with which licensing deals are ending include MGM, Universal and Warner Bros.

A representative from Netflix confirmed with The Verge that titles would start to be removed soon, and that the decision to let the licensing deals expire is part of the company's strategy to become an "expert programmer" rather than a "broad distributor."

"The vast majority of the titles that expire on Wednesday are older features that were aggregated by Epix," a representative from Netflix said in a statement. "We recently added many great, more recent titles such as ParaNorman (Universal), Hunger Games (Epix), Safe (Epix) and Bachelorette (Weinstein). Tomorrow we will also add MI:2, among many other titles.

"Netflix is a dynamic service, we constantly update the TV shows and movies that are available to our members," the spokesperson added. "We will add more than 500 titles May 1, but we also have titles expiring, this ebb and flow happens all the time."

Warner Bros. noted on Twitter that titles being removed from Netflix will not appear on the Warner Instant Archive steaming service right away. Last year Netflix also removed a sizeable amount of content after its agreement with Starz expired.

A full list of content scheduled for removal can be found on InstantWatcher.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bryancd

This is an inevitable part of the growing process of the streaming content industry. Bifurcation efforts by licensee's vs. the more consolidated model Netflix is trying to provide. Ultimately there will be a few major content providers but right now it's like the early days of ISP's. Netflix is not willing to pay for old content no one is watching while the studios want them to pay up for old stuff in order to get the new.

ChrisMC

Agreed, Bryan. These are the birthing pains of a new and exciting direction  for content providers.  Just like physical media is becoming obsolete, hopefully allowing cable providers to have a stranglehold on vast areas will end someday. People will be allowed to pay for the programming they want. I love it.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Rico

They always reshuffle content.  Plus you have services like Amazon Prime and Hulu as well around to view content.  It's frankly the golden age of media consumption right now.  Way too much to ever watch it all.  Heck, I'm only now finishing up season two of "Mad Men" finally.

Bryancd

And if memory serves I was one of the few Netflix defenders here when they changed their pricing and service format. Told you so.  ;) Netflix has been one of my best investments since, better then Apple.

Rico

Quote from: Bryancd on May 01, 2013, 04:49:36 PM
And if memory serves I was one of the few Netflix defenders here when they changed their pricing and service format. Told you so.  ;) Netflix has been one of my best investments since, better then Apple.

I still don't like that they did that.  And I dropped my service to only streaming at that point, so they get less money from me.  Don't really care about their stock price.  Plus I've used Netflix probably longer than anyone here.  Way back before most people even had a DVD player.

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on May 01, 2013, 04:52:41 PM
Quote from: Bryancd on May 01, 2013, 04:49:36 PM

I still don't like that they did that.  And I dropped my service to only streaming at that point, so they get less money from me.  Don't really care about their stock price.  Plus I've used Netflix probably longer than anyone here.  Way back before most people even had a DVD player.

That was the point, Netflix recognized very early that physical DVD content was dead and streaming for a low price was the future. Made perfect sense.

WillEagle

I really enjoy Netflix and as long as they don't drop the series I'm watching right now I'm good. Watching Continum season 1, Robin Hood season 2, DS9 i'm at the end of season 4, The Avengers season 2, and Justice League season 1. Lots of cool stuff and like Rico said more than you can watch.

ChrisMC

The Nextflix CEO says that they are killing torrenting. I believe it. I've always believed that most people are willing to pay a nominal fee for good content. Things are changing for the better in how we get our entertainment.

http://torrentfreak.com/netflix-says-its-killing-bittorrent-traffic-130504/
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/