New York Comic Con- Looking to share/split a room.

Started by AwesomeRococo, October 06, 2011, 02:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AwesomeRococo

I'm headed to my very first NYCC in next week. My attending was a bit of an impromptu development, and unfortunately while I am working at the con, my employer has been unable to procure a room for me at this late juncture, so I am hoping to find a little help from anyone who might happen to be attending as well . 

Is there anyone attending NYCC who has a hotel situation set up already, and would like to split costs and share the room with two very nice people? We are quiet and polite, can share one queen bed (so only a regular double room is needed). We are not big party-ers (but don't mind if you are), and since I'm working the con, and we're trying to see a bunch of Bway shows while we're in town too, we likely will be not be spending much time in the room, save for showering/sleeping.

Or if you are attending, and still need a place to stay, we might be able to do something to that extent as well.

Alternatively, Does anyone know of a roomshare site/group/etc for NYCC where I might be able to find such an arrangement (a la the dragonconrooms lj page). 

Thanks in advance! Also, feel free to crosspost this if you know somewhere else that it might be seen.

spaltor

I will be attending NYCC, but I live in central NJ, so I'll be commuting in, and possibly running back and forth between con and work.  Sorry.

I don't know of any room sharing sites, but - if you don't mind it - I would suggest looking in to hostels if you wants to cut costs.  There are plenty of hotels in the city, though not con hotels, and they're all rather expensive.  I would even suggest looking for a room outside the city (like in Hoboken, NJ), and taking the light rail in to con, which is just a few blocks away.

Also, I might be able to help you out with some of the shows you want to see.  I work in ticket services and may have some discount codes for you. 

Send me a message if you want to chat - about shows or public transit or whatever.

billybob476

I'm a bit hesitant to suggest AirBnB since it's gotten some bad press lately but you may be able to find something there.

http://www.airbnb.com

AwesomeRococo

Thanks- I have actually looked on there, but unfortunately the friend traveling with me is a bit let adventurous than I am, so I don't think she's gonna go for it. (Me, I'm happy with a comforter and a bit of floor space.. or at SDCC, a bit of the sidewalk. But I may be a tiny bit crazy. ;-) Thanks for the recc though.

AwesomeRococo

Quote from: spaltor on October 06, 2011, 07:05:39 AM

I don't know of any room sharing sites, but - if you don't mind it - I would suggest looking in to hostels if you wants to cut costs.  There are plenty of hotels in the city, though not con hotels, and they're all rather expensive.  I would even suggest looking for a room outside the city (like in Hoboken, NJ), and taking the light rail in to con, which is just a few blocks away.

Thanks for the help. My first hope was a hostel right in Times Square that I've stayed in before- sadly it's been closed by the board of health (for totally legit reasons I'm sure, it was squalid- but you couldn't beat the location!)

I'm still trying to find something somewhere in Manhattan for less than 200$/night. Might try priceline, but I'm wary of the whole not knowing where you're going to stay until after you've paid for it thing. Otherwise, we're looking at Brooklyn, but I'm getting conflicting info about how long the train will take to get into the city from there, between 20-45 minutes- it's a big difference!

Thanks, I will write you about tickets. I know for sure we want to see Follies (Bernadette Peters is a very close second to why I am going at all, so it's a must-see), and I'm embarrassed to want to see Sister Act (because I grew up with the movie and still love it). I'd see Book of Mormon, but I hear it's next to impossible to get tickets, and I'm not that enthralled with it in the first place, so I'm not too sad that I probably can't get in. But any help/discounts/etc you can shed onto getting tickets would be much appreciated!

spaltor

I'll check with my friend who works for a travel agency to see if she has any hotel recommendations.

Brooklyn is big.  Depending on where exact you stay in Brooklyn and what trains are nearby, it can take 25-85 minutes to get to midtown Manhattan, especially on the weekends, when the subways go weird.  I'll keep you posted.

I'll save full details for your message, but "Follies" is fantastic.  "Sister Act" is good enough, but it has NONE of the music from the movie - you should be forewarned.  I'm hearing a lot of complaints about that.  "Book of Mormon" is sold out for a year.  :)

spaltor

My travel agent friend says that the cheapest she's seeing in Manhattan is the Holiday Inn Express on Wall Street for $204/night before taxes.  So that would be, like, $240/night.  And the one start hotel in Queens is even at $180/night right now.  She says you'll probably get the best rates at Newark airport hotels - but many do not have shuttles to transit.  They make you take a cab to the train stations, which can get expensive.  And the "convenience" hotels in Hoboken usually have the same rates as Manhattan hotels.

Sorry - wish I had better info for you...

MARKO

I am from the NYC area..... try hotels in Secaucus NJ by the meadowland two miles to the city, the crowne plaza and a few others ,but keep in mind your NJ and all the hotels are going to be a little $ .Don't book anything in Newark its would be a pain for you to get into the city if you not use to the trains and such....Newark is where i grew up.

Marko
"Amat Victoria Curam"

MARKO

"Amat Victoria Curam"

Rico

Rico