Amazon might start "Netflix for books"

Started by Rico, September 12, 2011, 08:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Man, this is a great concept and I hope they can pull it off.

In another walk-up to the release of its hotly anticipated tablet device, Amazon is in talks with book publishers to launch a digital library for customers, the Wall Street Journal reported.
The service could allow users to gain unlimited access to older digital book content for a single, annual price tag. Putting older books into this program versus newer ones would prevent cannibalization of its highly popular digital books business. This would also more likely appease book publishers who are reluctant to sign onto any "all you can eat" pricing model for content.

According to the Journal, access to the Neflix-like service for the publishing world would be available to Amazon Prime customers, who pay $79 per year for free two-day shipping and currently get unlimited instant streaming of thousands of movies and TV shows.
It is widely anticipated that Amazon will launch its rival tablet device in coming weeks and special content pricing plans are a way to gain traction. The Kindle tablet, as it is being dubbed right now, is rumored to be 7 inches in size with a full-color screen, and it's likely to run a Google Android OS.
Apple's popular iPad table device has gained raging success not just for its hardware specifics but also because of the range of content offered for the device, through the company's iTunes platform. JP Morgan's Mark Moskowitz said that Amazon's entry into the tablet market could "provide a shot in the arm to the non-Apple tablet market ...and could make for reshaped market conditions."
So far it's unclear whether any publishers have signed onto Amazon's ambitious book buffet program, however. These publishers have significant concerns about pricing books in such a pricing scheme for fear that consumers will get used to the notion of not paying for books on an individual basis, which is a less lucrative model for the industry.
Amazon did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/09/12/amazon-in-talks-to-launch-digital-book-library/#ixzz1XklX0EXc

KingIsaacLinksr

Yeah....somehow I have a feeling the publishers won't go along with this.  They've resisted the e-book market for so long, I have a feeling the same will happen here. 

But it's an interesting concept.  I'm not sure I'd buy into it, mostly because Netflix has so much content.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Rico

I've always thought almost all producers of media these days (books, TV, movies, music) are missing out on a very viable business model.  Just think if you could buy say a yearly pass to the movies.  Or a yearly pass to listen to music (oh wait - yes, you can do that now).  Or a yearly pass to read the books you want.  All they need to do is price it right.  With digital distribution this will eventually happen.  The days of buying each individual item you want are drawing to a close.  That was needed when you actually got a physical item.  Not so anymore.  Again, all they need to do is price it right.

Dangelus

I've been saying this sort of paid for "library" idea would be great for a while and it could work. I'd definitely be more likely to join a scheme like this than purchase whole ebooks at not much cheaper than "real" book price.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Rico on September 12, 2011, 09:02:22 AM
I've always thought almost all producers of media these days (books, TV, movies, music) are missing out on a very viable business model.  Just think if you could buy say a yearly pass to the movies.  Or a yearly pass to listen to music (oh wait - yes, you can do that now).  Or a yearly pass to read the books you want.  All they need to do is price it right.  With digital distribution this will eventually happen.  The days of buying each individual item you want are drawing to a close.  That was needed when you actually got a physical item.  Not so anymore.  Again, all they need to do is price it right.

Well, if you go by what STARZ is saying, they aren't getting enough value out of their product.  (right.....), so apparently it isn't viable.

No, but I agree, but I also think we will see both kinds.  The ala cart aka iTunes and the Hulu/Netflix model.  but it is time for content providers to quit being sticks in the mud and get in the 21st century.

King

Ktrek

I would sign up if the price was reasonable. I really enjoy Spotify's online streaming music content. $4.95 a month is very reasonable for non-commercial access to thousands of titles. If books were to go the same way I would sign up. Better yet would be one service that had music, video and ebooks.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico

Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on September 12, 2011, 09:19:38 AM

Well, if you go by what STARZ is saying, they aren't getting enough value out of their product.  (right.....), so apparently it isn't viable.

No, but I agree, but I also think we will see both kinds.  The ala cart aka iTunes and the Hulu/Netflix model.  but it is time for content providers to quit being sticks in the mud and get in the 21st century.

King

Tim - video content such as movies/tv is a different pricing model.  For example, not a lot of books pull in millions of dollars.  But again, they don't cost $100 - 200 million to create either.  My point is simply this is coming, it is inevitable.  Years from now, very little physical media will actually be made and sold in the entertainment area. 

X

Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on September 12, 2011, 09:19:38 AM

King
Tim, STARZ is right. I mean who would pay for STARZ if you can get everything on it far cheaper than actually paying for the premium channels? That makes zero cents to both STARZ and the people paying for it. I have both STARZ and Netflix, but at the same time, you can see what's on STARZ by watching the streaming channel now on Netflix. That creates zero reasons for someone to actually pay for STARZ. I'm surprised it took them this long to see that.

KingIsaacLinksr

turtlesrock

it's a good idea. a single price for unlimited books. nifty :)

the_geeky_one

I really like the idea of this.  I currently use the public library for my reading addiction.  I probably read several hundred dollars worth of books each month.  I would certainly be willing to pay a small few each month to have access to a much larger selection of books.  I have a hard time buying books period anymore since it only takes a few days for me to read them and then they sit on a shelf. 

Jobydrone

Very exciting, just another example of how technology, specifically mobile devices, is radically changing the way we consume media in today's world.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Feathers

Some libraries over here already have a system in place for something like this. I've already got the iPhone app for it but, sadly, my borough isn't one of those that supports it.

I'm currently trying to join the library in the next borough over (I used to be a member there) to get at their electronic lending catalogue. (I already tried Surrey, but they wouldn't let me join as a non-resident).

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Dangelus

Quote from: Feathers on September 21, 2011, 08:47:36 AM
Some libraries over here already have a system in place for something like this. I've already got the iPhone app for it but, sadly, my borough isn't one of those that supports it.

I'm currently trying to join the library in the next borough over (I used to be a member there) to get at their electronic lending catalogue. (I already tried Surrey, but they wouldn't let me join as a non-resident).

Interesting. Can you point me to this Mike? Would like to see if they do it my way.