A Dance With Dragons - GRRM

Started by Bromptonboy, July 08, 2011, 05:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bromptonboy

Pete

wraith1701

I'm chomping at the bit to get at this book.  I just finished book 4 yesterday, and damn; so much stuff has been set up!  :)

The entire series has been incredible so far.   I know I'm fortunate to have found the story so close to the release of Dance With Dragons; I only have a few days to pick up the story, while others have been waiting for years.   The bad thing is, I find it hard to believe that everything can be wrapped up in just one more book, which means I'll probably have to wait several years for the conclusion to the tale.      GRRM has created a world so rich and full of so many fully-fleshed out characters, it's hard to tell the tale of every character in just one volume, which explains his epilogue at the end of Feast For Crows.

Like I mentioned before, the story has been incredible.  But in some ways, with winter finally here, I feel like the meat of the story is only beginning. 

Does anyone know how many volumes GRRM plans for the story to span?  It feels like it could go on for at least 2 more books.

Some burning questions and threads I'd like to see picked up:

[spoiler]  Is Breanne really dead?  What's going on with Rickon? Who or WHAT is the guy on the Elk, and what are he and Bran's bunch up to?  What really happend with Theon? How is the situation with the royal family at King's Landing going to play out?  What's up with the Kiss Of Life, and just how much of the Lightening Lord's female replacement (you know who I'm talking about) remain from her prior incarnation?  My favorite character struck blind, and then nothing?!?  WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?!? THE DRAGONS!!! Danny!!!  Jon Snow!!!  What's in store for Dorn & the Sand Snakes?  Who is the "Younger, more beautiful queen?"  Is it Margorie, or maybe Danny?  Will the rest of the toad-woman's prophecy come true, and will we be seeing more of "the Volanquor"?[/spoiler]

...I could go on and on.

Jobydrone

ARGHHHH don't read that article linked in the first post if you are still in the middle of the first four books.  MAJOR SPOILERS
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

ChrisMC

My wife has just finished it, and by her reaction, I think something bad happens to a beloved character. No way,in  a George R.R. Martin book?! The interesting thing now is that over the years I kind of have in my head what I think the characters and settings look like and now I have the HBO show in my head. Can't wait to tear into this monster though.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Rico

Going to merge this thread into the other thread about this book that's already going in the Book section.

ChrisMC

D'oh! Sorry, been awhile since I posted on a forum.  :old_bash:
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Jobydrone

I can't WAIT to read this, I've heard so many great things.  I'm working my way through Feast for Crows now, and I'll say I can understand why people were disappointed by it.  But it's still pretty good, I am just really wanting to see more from my favorite characters in DWD.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bromptonboy

I have stalled out on book 3 - due to time constraints, not lack of interest.  Have to push on.  Dying to know about Jon Snow parentage.
Pete

X

Finished my first read through a few days ago and pissed off! I loved it! Now I have to wait up to six more years for the next part.

Bromptonboy

Quote from: X on July 21, 2011, 08:43:38 AM
Finished my first read through a few days ago and pissed off! I loved it! Now I have to wait up to six more years for the next part.
I recall reading that Melisandre was supposed to get a POV chapter in this one - is that true? (you can put the answer in spoiler tags).

Thanks
Pete

Duffster

I hear you X, that pretty much summed up my feelings. Loved it, hated it...dang I gotta wait years again.    :'(

Duffster is, The HugoNaut
www.thehugonaut.com

Geoff G.o.B

just finished it and despite a slow start it picked up pace in the end. Despite reading the first 4 books and knowing there is always a big curve ball waiting for you, still got surprised by two of them in the last few chapters, you'd think I'd learn by now  ::)
If you can remain calm when all around you are panicking, you probably didn't understand the question

Bromptonboy

I am about 2/3 of the way through the 3rd book.... I need to pick up speed.
Pete

Geoff G.o.B

I will just say
[spoiler] when are any Starks going to listen to their wolves?[/spoiler]
If you can remain calm when all around you are panicking, you probably didn't understand the question