• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Shatner's "The Captains"

Started by Rico, June 23, 2011, 03:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ori-STUDFARM

Quote from: Dangelus on November 05, 2011, 08:57:36 AM
I've still not been able to "find" this anywhere. :(

Me neither. I thought I had, but it was a Discovery (or some other channel) Star Trek documentry.

Rico

X

I loved this and I loved Avery Brooks in this. He's the kind of guy I would love to just sit down with and listen to. He has an undeniable passion that raptures me.

Dangelus

Quote from: Rico on November 05, 2011, 10:03:15 AM
It's on Netflix now but I know some of you can't get that.  It's also available for purchase too.

http://www.amazon.com/Captains-Film-William-Shatner/dp/B005DEUEV8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320512568&sr=8-1

Hmmm looks like its only available on US import DVD on the UK site.

ori-STUDFARM

I think I have found a version of it. Once it downloads and I'm sure it's the right show I'll share it with you somehow....Dropbox or something.

M-5

I don't have Netflix, so I may have to purchase it form Amazon.

Geekyfanboy

For those who seen it.. is it worth the $12.99 to purchase it?

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Geekyfanboy on November 07, 2011, 09:10:01 AM
For those who seen it.. is it worth the $12.99 to purchase it?

Personally....no.  Not that it is a bad production, but to me it was only worth seeing once and then never again, but I rarely have the need to rewatch documentaries/interviews like this so maybe as a ST fan you might? 

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Dangelus

Finally got to see this. It was very interesting. There was a lot of personal questions to the interviewees and not too much specific Trek stuff which was quite refreshing. I suppose for people like us we get to hear the answers to the same old questions so it was a nice change of pace.

Shatner didn't make it all about him but there was a big chunk on him too. Again, very nice.

I don't know if it's worth a buy, im not sure if it has the repeat viewing grab for me but definitely worth a rental if you can get it though. If neither is an option then I would recommend trying to acquire it by other means if that doesn't bother you.

Jobydrone

Quote from: Bryancd on November 05, 2011, 09:02:06 AM
I like Avery Brooks as Sisco but sometimes his performance was so exaggerated it was a bit annoying. He had this whole affect going that I didn't always like. I get it he's an artists, but sometimes give it a rest.
This was a really interesting cooment that got me thinking about the five captains we've gotten to know through the Star Trek series.  My opinion is that Patrick Stewart's performance as Picard directly influenced the shows that followed, both by influencing the casting of the captains in the following series (Brooks and Mulgrew specifically) as well as influencing the performances of the actors; not necessarily by their imitating the exact nature of Stewart's performance, but definitely emulating the gravitas and somewhat Shakesperian delivery behind that became his trademark.  I think Patrick Stewart probably had alot to do with the way the character developed over time.  It wasn't until Scott Bakula portrayed Cpt. Archer that we saw a return to the kind of devil-may-care, seat of your pants type of persona that recalled Kirk's command style over that of the three preceding series.  I really wonder how much of all this was in the scripts and how much of it was directly influenced by Patrick Stewart's interpretation of the character.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bryancd

I hear what you are saying, Joby, but Ihonestly think that's just how Avery Brooks is. Watching Shatner attempt to conduct an interview with him certainly presented me with that impression.

Jobydrone

I'm going to watch this interview on Netflix tomorrow or Wednesday.  Have to catch up with last nights shows first (Walking Dead, Dexter & Boardwalk Empire)
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Bryancd on November 07, 2011, 10:15:07 AM
I hear what you are saying, Joby, but Ihonestly think that's just how Avery Brooks is. Watching Shatner attempt to conduct an interview with him certainly presented me with that impression.

All I got from that interview was a guy who was a little too high in the sky....

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

jedijeff

I watched it last night. Interesting to say the least, not sure if Shatner is the best interviewer, as he seemed to spend more time talking about himself, so it confused me what the purpose of the documentary was about. I sort of cringed a bit when he was talking to Patrick Stewart and he was relating how he found himself embarrassed about being Kirk and had an epiphany well studying up on Patrick Stewart. Just seemed really awkward, and Patrick Stewart looked uncomfortable (though he looks uncomfortable all the time lol ) It was interesting to hear Patrick Stewart relate how he lacked confidence when he first started on TNG, and how he held acting so high in his life, above family, cool he was so honest.
I agree with the others, Avery Brooks comes across as really abstract to me, I guess that is the way he communicates, but I am guessing you get it or you do not. I like Scott Bakula a lot, he seems the most grounded out of all the captains ( Chris Pine was as well, but they focused more on the Trek Prime Captains) Scott Bakula seemed the most positive about his time on Trek, and the stories he spoke about Quantum Leap did not come across as nearly as regretful as the others stories of Trek. I just got the sense from Scott, just a lot of work and part of the business. Kate Mulgrew sort of gave me the sense, that if she had to do it over again, she might not. She sure has changed quite a bit from her years on Voyager, maybe it is just she has put on a few pounds and had her hair down, but just so used to seeing her with her hair up.

I missed the past bit, as my recording ended early, but I think I sort of got the jist of how the different captains felt.

Jobydrone

Quote from: Bryancd on November 07, 2011, 10:15:07 AM
There's a series of blooper reels from DS9 (which I'm sure you've seen) that shows Brooks was able to loosen up when not always in character.  My favorite is a scene with him and John Delancie:

Brooks:  "Release them Q...NOW!!!"
Delancie:  "Or what, you'll ravish me?"  then out of character, "Ravish?  That's not right."
Brooks:  Out of character "I might..."