• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Shatner's "The Captains"

Started by Rico, June 23, 2011, 03:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillEagle

The wife and I both enjoyed this on Netflix. I saw it was on Netflix and we watched it the next day. I really enjoyed it and I wish it had been longer. I enjoyed hearing from all the Captains and even the Klingon General. I was probably looking foward to hearing from Avery the most because he is one of my favorite Captain's and you just don't hear from him much. But it ended up being my least favorite of the interviews. I loved the part when he was walking through the convention and was talking to people and went up to Jeri Ryan's table. That was cool. And I would buy it for around $10. $12.99 isn't to bad though.

M-5

I watched yesterday and I enjoyed it.  I wish it was a little longer.  I would have liked to see more time spent with each Captain.  I'd pay 12 bucks for a DVD.

davekill

Quote from: Bryancd on November 05, 2011, 08:27:04 AM
This is now on Netflix streaming and I watched it last night. Agree with all the above sentiments, it was very good. Kate is a snob, I would love to spend the weekend with Patrick, I would love to spend a week with Scott, Shatner continues to be the perfect study in narcissism, and Avery Brooks is completely out of his mind!

Oh contraries, I think Avery Brooks was just having a little fun poking at Shat's ego.

Very much enjoyed it!
Shatner as the Ken Burns of Trek!

Kate Mulgrew, bless her heart politely refered to the bathroom as 'the john'. A real Captain would have called it 'the head'. :)

I loved Avery Brooks interview and I want to be Scott Bakula.

Defiantly would like to buy it - this is a keeper!!

Meds

I bought this and had it shipped over to England. I really rather enjoyed it, I thought Shatner did  a fantastic job with the interviews especially with Kate. Scott and Sir Pat seemed very comfortable talking along with Chris Pine. Avery Brooks is bonkers. I understand he is in that musical zone, being all jazz like but honestly I would have said the guy was smoking some serious stuff lol.

Poodyglitz

Quote from: davekill on December 22, 2011, 02:05:41 AMOh contraries, I think Avery Brooks was just having a little fun poking at Shat's ego.

Glad I'm not the only one with that suspicion. It was a little uncomfortable to watch, but I do believe Avery could have been messing with Shatner on some level.

davekill

Quote from: Darmok on February 16, 2012, 08:14:30 PM
Quote from: davekill on December 22, 2011, 02:05:41 AMOh contraries, I think Avery Brooks was just having a little fun poking at Shat's ego.

Glad I'm not the only one with that suspicion. It was a little uncomfortable to watch, but I do believe Avery could have been messing with Shatner on some level.

Like an old lion Bill Shatner sees everyone as a challange.
Once in a while someone pushes back.
imho, these are just kids in a bigger playground.

I think Avery Brooks has a wry humor that escapes people.

Poodyglitz

Quote from: davekill on February 17, 2012, 06:00:50 AM

Refreshing to see someone who doesn't simply write off Avery as "that crazy n-word". :)

davekill

Quote from: Darmok on February 17, 2012, 06:24:15 AM

Refreshing to see someone who doesn't simply write off Avery as "that crazy n-word". :)

We've seen each of these Captains on screen for years.
They may be reading someone else's lines, but the delivery shines from the actor and I've seen that twinkle in Avery's eye.
By contrast shatner is about a subtle as a brick through a window.

QuadShot

Phil, I love Avery. I have since his days on Spenser for Hire, but I have to be honest, his appearance on the Captains was very disturbing...

Poodyglitz

Quote from: davekill on February 17, 2012, 06:29:16 AM
They may be reading someone else's lines, but the delivery shines from the actor and I've seen that twinkle in Avery's eye.

ROTFL...really loud!  :roflmao

Poodyglitz

Quote from: QuadShot on February 17, 2012, 06:48:54 AM
Phil, I love Avery. I have since his days on Spenser for Hire, but I have to be honest, his appearance on the Captains was very disturbing...

Have to agree that it made me just a little uncomfortable at first. What's ironic is that I thought he was stiff as Sisko and he's so much more loose in the interview.

I'd actually like to find out what he's really like.

QuadShot

Phil, you know that may be it. I guess I expected him to be the no-nonsense Hawk or Sisko, but we see a wacky non-linear guy...not a bad thing for an actor but just not what I expected...

Poodyglitz

Quote from: QuadShot on February 17, 2012, 07:15:53 AM
Phil, you know that may be it. I guess I expected him to be the no-nonsense Hawk or Sisko, but we see a wacky non-linear guy...not a bad thing for an actor but just not what I expected...

I would also love to see the parts of that interview that didn't make it into the movie.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: davekill on February 17, 2012, 06:29:16 AM
Quote from: Darmok on February 17, 2012, 06:24:15 AM

If Avery was pulling a fast one on us, then that would make him the best actor of the bunch.  I still don't think he was, but hey, its possible.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Poodyglitz

Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on February 17, 2012, 08:21:46 AM
If Avery was pulling a fast one on us, then that would make him the best actor of the bunch.  I still don't think he was, but hey, its possible.

Stranger things have been known to happen, especially in the Trekverse. :)