• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

iPad App Recommendations

Started by spaltor, June 08, 2011, 09:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaltor

Okay, here it is - the thread for recommending iPad apps.  I've only had my iPad for a week at this point, without too much time to fiddle with apps, so I have nothing much to contribute at this point other than Netflix and Angry Birds.  BUT, let's all use this space to recommend some favorite apps or ask "is there an app that does x?"  So, friends - let's help each other unleash the potential of our iPads.   :ninja  hehe - ninja

billybob476

I love Instagram on my iPhone. Not sure it's quite as compelling with the iPad but if you're out and about it's a really fun way to post and share photos.

KingIsaacLinksr

Words With Friends HD (Or Reg for small iOSes) nice scrabble game I'm playing along with a bunch of other people on the board.
Infinity Blade: For the hardcore gamers.  Awesome graphics, currently playing, looking for some multiplayer action.
Dropbox.  (Or Box.net or other cloud services)
Official Twitter app works the best for the price of free.  
Week Calendar HD improves and enhances on the base calendar provided by Apple, but if your happy with Apple's, then you won't need it :)
Skype App!
GoodReader is a good file management app as well as a great PDF reader.  
iMovie/Garageband.  Depending on whether you like working with vids or music :).

I'll have more later.  

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

spaltor

Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on June 08, 2011, 10:08:45 AM
Words With Friends HD (Or Reg for small iOSes) nice scrabble game I'm playing along with a bunch of other people on the board.
Infinity Blade: For the hardcore gamers.  Awesome graphics, currently playing, looking for some multiplayer action.
Dropbox.  (Or Box.net or other cloud services)
Week Calendar HD improves and enhances on the base calendar provided by Apple, but if your happy with Apple's, then you won't need it :)
Skype App!
iMovie/Garageband.  Depending on whether you like working with vids or music :).

I'll have more later. 

King

Oooh, I have a question about the calendar.  I've noticed it synced with my Google account, which was great.  But I have 5 or 6 different calendars applied to my gCalendar, some of which I created, some of which I didn't.  But the iPad is only syncing with my personal calendar.  How do I get it to sync with all of the calendars applied to my gCalendar?

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: spaltor on June 08, 2011, 11:01:20 AM
Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on June 08, 2011, 10:08:45 AM
Infinity Blade: For the hardcore gamers.  Awesome graphics, currently playing, looking for some multiplayer action.
Dropbox.  (Or Box.net or other cloud services)
Skype App!
iMovie/Garageband.  Depending on whether you like working with vids or music :).

I'll have more later. 

King

Oooh, I have a question about the calendar.  I've noticed it synced with my Google account, which was great.  But I have 5 or 6 different calendars applied to my gCalendar, some of which I created, some of which I didn't.  But the iPad is only syncing with my personal calendar.  How do I get it to sync with all of the calendars applied to my gCalendar?

Did you click the "Calendars" button in the iPad's calendar app?  Its at the top left.  If that doesn't work, umm, let me look into it, it should be simple though. 

King

KingIsaacLinksr

Ok, just in case that didn't work, check this page out, it should fix your problem:

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=139206

King

Bryancd

x2 on Infinity Blade, cool game.
I love Star Walk as well, Zinio for magazines, HD Recorder for recording comment for podcasts, and we have a great auto racing game, just can't recall the name..

KingIsaacLinksr

Btw, my Gamecenter name is the same as the name to the left: "KingIsaacLinksr" if you want to add me.  :)

A few more Apps: Instapaper and ReadItLater are good for reading articles in a better way at a later time.  I use both a lot.  
AirVideo: For running your non-Apple videos without needing to take over your desktop. "Streamtome" may also work if you want Audio, though I have not personally used it.
iBooks, Dark Horse, Kindle, Marvel, DC, ComiXology for any reading that you may need to do.  :)  (There is also a Nook app)
There are a bunch of native google apps as well if you use their services, as well as even more Web-apps.  
TuneIn Radio for all your radio needs.
Star Walk: For observing the stars and listening to Rick's Stargazer album :P

King

Rico

I think Rick Peete at one time had mentioned a good photoshop type program.  I need something to adjust size, crop, etc. images.  Suggestions?

Feathers

Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on June 08, 2011, 11:06:46 AM
Ok, just in case that didn't work, check this page out, it should fix your problem:

King

Yup, that should do it (middle tab about running the sync setup application from the iPad)

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

QuadShot

Rico, Photogene is pretty good. Runs about $3 and does cropping, and a bunch of other things. You can find it in the App Store

Rico

Quote from: QuadShot on June 08, 2011, 02:37:48 PM
Rico, Photogene is pretty good. Runs about $3 and does cropping, and a bunch of other things. You can find it in the App Store

Ahh, that name sounds familiar.  Thanks Al.

KingIsaacLinksr

Photoshop express does an ok job for free.  Although iOS 5 will replace it.

King

RickPeete

Rico, Photogene is the app I use.  Very intuitive, good set of options.

As for other app recommendations, I have a bunch but I don't have the time right now to post them.  I will condense my blog posts into something manageable later tonight.

spaltor

Quote from: Feathers on June 08, 2011, 02:31:59 PM
Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on June 08, 2011, 11:06:46 AM

King

Yup, that should do it (middle tab about running the sync setup application from the iPad)

I haven't gotten around to actually doing this yet, but it's a great resource.  Thank you!

Now for another question - it's there a good (free or cheap) word processor?  Like an Open Office equivalent?  Or does it just make more sense to log into Google Docs on Safari?  And speaking of Safari, there's not another broswer available, is there?  ;)