• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Shatner gets a Doctorate

Started by billybob476, June 02, 2011, 11:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billybob476

Being that I'm a Montrealer just like Mr. Shatner, this one makes me smile. I went to Concodria University up the street but half my freinds went to McGill and I spent a ton of my time hanging out in the Shatner Student Services building at the school. :)

The former captain of the starship Enterprise has told university graduates in his hometown that they should boldly go forward to seek out their future.

William Shatner, best known as Capt. James T. Kirk of the Star Trek franchise, was given an honorary doctorate of Letters at Montreal's McGill University Thursday.

The 80-year-old star got thunderous applause when he took the stage to get the award.

He hinted in his address that he had not always hit the books hard when he was at McGill.

Shatner also told graduates they should never be afraid to take chances or fail. He said the path of life is more like a twisty country road than a straight city boulevard.

The Montreal-born Shatner, who has won Emmy Awards, jokingly said he never shied away from making an ass of himself and it worked out pretty well for him.

He graduated from the university in 1952 with a commerce degree before making his mark as an actor in such movies as Judgment at Nuremberg and TV shows including Boston Legal and TJ Hooker.

Shatner has also authored best-selling books.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2011/06/02/william-shatner-gets-honorary-degree-from-mcgill-university.html?ref=rss

turtlesrock

... because risk is out business!
certainly gives inspiration to us all.