• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Started by Geekyfanboy, April 06, 2011, 06:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

Thought we had a thread for this.. heard the trailer will be out Friday April 15th

Fox's 'Rise of the Apes' Now Retitled 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes'

April 6, 2011
Source: SlashFilm
by Alex Billington
Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Briefly: Make what you will of this, but it is just a title. SlashFilm via CBM has confirmed with 20th Century Fox that Rupert Wyatt's new Rise of the Apes prequel/reboot, starring James Franco, will now be officially titled Rise of the Planet of the Apes. It's not hard to see that Fox is having trouble figuring out how to market this, originally moving the release in November, then pulling it back to August 5th. Now this change is just a way to get the original Rise of the Apes name somewhere directly in the title, without calling it Rise of the Apes. Oh whatever, I just want to see a trailer, I'm actually still pretty damn excited to see this.

Rise of the Apes is set in contemporary San Francisco and follows a young scientist who becomes a crucial figure in the war between humans and apes. Franco has been testing his Alzheimer cure on apes, but one of them, named Caesar, starts to evolve rapidly, so he takes him home to live with him and protect him from the "cruel doctors," thus starting the inevitable ape revolution. James Franco stars, along with Andy Serkis providing motion capture for Caesar and Weta doing CGI, Freida Pinto, John Lithgow, Brian Cox and Tom Felton. Word is that we'll finally see a teaser trailer next week, by April 15th, so keep an eye out for that, too!

Rico

Geekyfanboy

Dangelus

So this is a prequel based on the Original Ape movies since the "rise" occurs on Earth?

Haven't they made this story already? I seem to remember a similar plot.

Bromptonboy

Get your hands on a new story - you damned dirty writers!

:)
Pete

Bryancd

Yes but the original benefited from having Ricardo Montalban!

Dangelus

Feathers

I believe David Hewlett (SG-1, SG-A and now SGU) is supposed to have a role in this somewhere. I don't know what as though.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Rico

Looks like a lot of stuff will be released this week on this film.  There is a VERY short little bit of footage at the link below showing some of WETA's work on the ape look for this.  Check it out.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=76327

Rico

Bryancd

Very cool! The facial expressions on the human like chimp look amazing. The gorilla's running amok look a little dodgy, though.

Geekyfanboy

Wow.. intense.. looking forward to this one.

Rico

James Franco as a high tech scientist guy is more of a stretch for me to buy into than apes becoming super intelligent.  ;)

Bromptonboy

Quote from: Rico on April 14, 2011, 01:54:22 PM
James Franco as a high tech scientist guy is more of a stretch for me to buy into than apes becoming super intelligent.  ;)
Good one!  Almost like Kim Richards being a Nobel prize winning scientist...  :)
Pete

ori-STUDFARM

I didn't think there was much of a chance of this movie working....but this trailer looks impressive!