• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace in 3D

Started by Geekyfanboy, March 03, 2011, 10:30:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

Look, if you don't like 3D, don't go and see it. Simple. But stop with these straw man arguments that this is preventing new Star Wars content from being released. That's just not the case. And don't be surprised if LucasFilm moves to the forefront of developing 3D technology down the road. That's what I see happening here.

Dangelus

I don't think anybody said that making these 3D is stopping the release of new material. Just that some would prefer to see new material rather than the 6 films redone in 3D if we had a choice. Obviously it isn't up to us so it is just an opinion.

I don't think anybody here will be boycotting the 3D releases either way.

Feathers

I won't be boycotting it but I won't be seeing it.

3D simply doesn't work for me.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Rico

Of course there is no direct connection between getting the old films in 3D vs. new content.  BUT - that doesn't mean I can't say that I would certainly prefer new content over the same old films in 3D again.  Look at how much we have been enjoying the Clone Wars lately.  There are a lot of SW fans unhappy about this direction.  Of course Uncle George will still do what he wants.  Doesn't mean I have to do a happy Jarr-Jarr dance over it.   ;)

Bryancd

What often get's lost in our adoration for the STAR WARS universe is that GL, and I have said this in many threads, is not a director or producer, he is a technocrat. He's not a story teller, he's an engineer. His favorite aspect of film making is editing, not directing. ILM, THX, even the original PIXAR, all of these technical innovations to come from LucasFilm is what is squarley in his wheel house. That's his passion. Digital filimg and projection innovation? LucasFilm. And now the future of 3D? LucasFilm.

Meds

Well he failed with the CGI in Star Wars specials. They look terrible now. Maybe he will alter my mind when he does something new. Rendering SW in 3D is not the way. Wiping out the prequels and starting again with a new writer, director, producer etc you get my point is a start lol.

Hey ultimately though as I said earlier I'll be going to see it but if I dont get any kind of wow I will disown the bearded wonder once and for all.

Rico

Bryancd

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on March 04, 2011, 05:42:54 AM
Well he failed with the CGI in Star Wars specials. They look terrible now.

The Special Editions? I don't agree with that at all. I think when they were released they looked amazing and I am sure they will make an effort to make them even better for the BluRay release. That was a challenging bit of CGI, incorporating new content into films that at the time were almost 20 years old. I think they succeeded doing something very new and innovative back in the mid '90's with that effort.

Dangelus

I have to agree with Bryan on this point mostly. The only bad CGI was the original Jabba / Han Solo scene added to New Hope. He later improved on it but it still looks bad.

Bryancd

Quote from: Dangelus on March 04, 2011, 05:50:13 AM
The only bad CGI was the original Jabba / Han Solo scene added to New Hope. He later improved on it but it still looks bad.

Yeah, that is clearly a kind of huh? bit of business!

billybob476

I'm not a fan of the bad music video scene in Jabba's palace in Jedi. Somehow I don't think Jabba likes pop. But I agree, at the time I remember it looking awesome. Also the Special Editions were the first chance I had to see the movies on the big screen.

Bryancd

Quote from: billybob476 on March 04, 2011, 06:08:16 AM
I'm not a fan of the bad music video scene in Jabba's palace in Jedi. Somehow I don't think Jabba likes pop.

True, but it certainly is better than the stick figure Sy Snottle maquette in the original release! She was more wooden than Hayden Christiansen!

billybob476

Quote from: Bryancd on March 04, 2011, 06:10:42 AM
Quote from: billybob476 on March 04, 2011, 06:08:16 AM
I'm not a fan of the bad music video scene in Jabba's palace in Jedi. Somehow I don't think Jabba likes pop.

True, but it certainly is better than the stick figure Sy Snottle maquette in the original release! She was more wooden than Hayden Christiansen!
That's because she was made of wood, what's Hayden's excuse?

:D

Bryancd

"...um...Hayden...faster...more intense..."

-GL

Bryancd

In regards to the $$ side of this, all the 2011 toy packaging if featuring Darth Maul on the front and we will likely be seeing Maul in the next season of Clone Wars, so the Episode 1 3D marketing machine is ramping up for this release.