News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace in 3D

Started by Geekyfanboy, March 03, 2011, 10:30:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuadShot

Geekyfanboy

Negative, Negative, Negative.. but I'll go see it. 

If you don't like the idea of 3D or as X put it "George beating a dead horse" then DON'T go see it.. no one of forcing you to see it.

I for one enjoyed the prequels and look forward to seeing how George has enhanced them with the 3D.

Rico

I think I said this before, my biggest issue is I just wish they would spend the money and resources on new content, like the live action series.  George, back in the day was an innovator and trail blazer.  But this really just looks like an easy way to cash in on previous content.  I'm sure I'll still see it, but I just wish it was a new movie instead.

X

Quote from: Geekyfanboy on March 03, 2011, 03:02:58 PM
Negative, Negative, Negative.. but I'll go see it. 

If you don't like the idea of 3D or as X put it "George beating a dead horse" then DON'T go see it.. no one of forcing you to see it.

I for one enjoyed the prequels and look forward to seeing how George has enhanced them with the 3D.
Kenny, no one is judging you for liking the film. We're merely voicing opinions that we feel and it's not something that's in the minority. If something can't stand up to criticisms, it's not the fault of the criticizer.

Also, were it not for those disappointed voices, I'd hate to see how episodes 2 and 3 would have turned out. Remember, before the Jar Jar outcry, Uncle George had planned on making him a major part of the trilogy.

It's also annoying that he has the coin to spend on reedits but claims a lack of funds when it comes to putting something fresh out.

X

Quote from: Rico on March 03, 2011, 03:18:16 PM
I think I said this before, my biggest issue is I just wish they would spend the money and resources on new content, like the live action series.  George, back in the day was an innovator and trail blazer.  But this really just looks like an easy way to cash in on previous content.  I'm sure I'll still see it, but I just wish it was a new movie instead.
That's what I thought too, but I've just looked over his IMDB and I'm pretty shocked at the content. His directing credits are WAY fewer than I imagined and A majority of his production credits are in the same few franchises. When compared to his peer Mr. Spielberg, you'll notice that Spielberg has done far more in a much wider range of things. And this isn't at all to knock George, but damn Steven is AMAZING in comparison.

WillEagle

I'll go see it on the big screen again but look more foward to the original trilogy. I don't need the 3D to get me to go back and I would like to see something new from the Star Wars Universe. :starwars:

Rico

Chris, I don't agree about your assessment of Lucas.  The sheer number of credits isn't how I judge innovation and trail blazing in making movies.  George at a very young age created a franchise that has endured for decades.  He not only wrote the story, but edited, directed and helped create a unique and unheard of special effects unit for "Star Wars" (which later became ILM).  He had a unique vision at the time when a science fiction movie was a rare thing - and certainly seldom made any kind of real money.  Later on, he helped pave the way for the use of digital cameras in film making.  Now they are nearly the norm.  Getting somewhat off topic but to say George Lucas wasn't an innovator is simply not true in any sense.

X

Quote from: Rico on March 03, 2011, 04:10:45 PM
Chris, I don't agree about your assessment of Lucas.  The sheer number of credits isn't how I judge innovation and trail blazing in making movies.  George at a very young age created a franchise that has endured for decades.  He not only wrote the story, but edited, directed and helped create a unique and unheard of special effects unit for "Star Wars" (which later became ILM).  He had a unique vision at the time when a science fiction movie was a rare thing - and certainly seldom made any kind of real money.  Later on, he helped pave the way for the use of digital cameras in film making.  Now they are nearly the norm.  Getting somewhat off topic but to say George Lucas wasn't an innovator is simply not true in any sense.
I didn't say he wasn't an innovator I said that his resume wasn't as impressive as I thought it was. I can give credit where credit is due, but I thought that he had his hand in far more stuff than what he actually did.

jedijeff

Looking forward to seeing all the Movies in 3D at the Movie Theatre. Like others have stated, George really excels at the technical aspects of film, so really looking forward to seeing what he does with these. Sure, would like to see some new content as well, but if I never see any more live action Star Wars, I can live with it. I really enjoy the EU books, and they have some very good stories. so Star Wars lives on for me in that form, plus in the books, no Jar Jar ;)

People can say what they want about George Lucas, and re releasing the same set of movies over and over again, I guess when he does that, he is open to criticism. At least we have choice if we want to direct our money that way or not, since none of these movies are required as an essential to live. I will that over executives and ceo's profiteering off of good and services we need to get by in our lives, or executives who take millions of dollars in bonuses well laying off or slashing the salaries of employees. Just my  :2cents

Bryancd

Oh Lord. Look, converting these films, especially the digitally filmed prequels is a FAR less expense the developing and shooting a new live action film. Releasing these in 3D for those of us who want to see them is NOT preventing new content. LucasFilm is doing great with Clone Wars and as a technical innovator, I am sure GL Is much more interested in pushing the potential of 3D as opposed to another TV series. It's his nature. And he sees the future of entertainment.

X

Do the people involved in the original production get paid for the rereleases?

Bryancd

Quote from: X on March 03, 2011, 05:47:43 PM

Why does that matter? They all signed a contract.

Geekyfanboy

Depends on the their contract...but I don't understand why you are asking the question.

X

Quote from: Geekyfanboy on March 03, 2011, 05:50:46 PM

Depends on the their contract...but I don't understand why you are asking the question.
I'm asking because I know that tv actors get paid residuals for subsequent airings of their shows. Is that the same case with films that are re-released or is it all profit from the production company from that point on?

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: X on March 03, 2011, 05:53:40 PM
Quote from: Geekyfanboy on March 03, 2011, 05:50:46 PM

I'm asking because I know that tv actors get paid residuals for subsequent airings of their shows. Is that the same case with films that are re-released or is it all profit from the production company from that point on?

Yes Actors can get residuals, but again it depend on their contracts and back in the 70's it's wasn't as common as it is now.