• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

what are you called?

Started by turtlesrock, February 26, 2011, 04:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turtlesrock

recently i tried to find as many star trek fan names as i could. i was able to find out that fans can be called trekkies, trekkers, or even in some cases trekklings!

supposedly the sorting between these descriptions goes like this:
trekker: fan over the age of 20
trekkie: fan in the ages between 10 and 20
trekkling: fan under the age of 10

what distinctions do you make between the descriptions?

Geekyfanboy

Gene Roddenberry has always called Star Trek fans Trekkies.. so I will always call myself a Trekkie, regardless of my age.

turtlesrock

Quote from: Geekyfanboy on February 26, 2011, 04:29:34 PM
Gene Roddenberry has always called Star Trek fans Trekkies.. so I will always call myself a Trekkie, regardless of my age.

that's a good way to go. personally, i just call myself a trekkie. i was talking to another fan on the bus and that's what they said.

Bryancd

I consider myself a Trekkie, but most others think of me as "nerd" and I love it.

Ktrek

Personally I usually avoid titles as I think they tend to separate and divide people rather than to unify and bring together. However, people usually will say "oh you're a Trekkie huh?" in a somewhat demeaning way, but I prefer to just say I'm a fan of Star Trek.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Bryancd

So yesterday, I was at the finishing line of the RAGNAR Relay 24 hour run race with my team. Other teams do the race in fun outfits and costumes, and one team was dressed as stereotypical nerds. It was very funny. One had a Star Wars t-shirt on and some goofy glasses, ect. As he walked by I said,"Hey! Star Wars isn't nerdy, Star Wars ROCKS!" He laughed and said,"Sorry, I know!". Nerds rule. :)

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Ktrek on February 27, 2011, 07:23:29 AM
Personally I usually avoid titles as I think they tend to separate and divide people rather than to unify and bring together. However, people usually will say "oh you're a Trekkie huh?" in a somewhat demeaning way, but I prefer to just say I'm a fan of Star Trek.

Kevin

I see it differently.. yes using names to define you does separate or divide you from the norm... but I turn it around by embracing the name and using for good. If someone calls me a Geek, Nerd, Dork in a negative way, I hold my head high and proudly announce Yes I am a Geek, Nerd or Dork. I love being a geek.. it's who I am.

turtlesrock

Quote from: Geekyfanboy on February 27, 2011, 10:20:01 AM
Quote from: Ktrek on February 27, 2011, 07:23:29 AM

Kevin

I see it differently.. yes using names to define you does separate or divide you from the norm... but I turn it around by embracing the name and using for good. If someone calls me a Geek, Nerd, Dork in a negative way, I hold my head high and proudly announce Yes I am a Geek, Nerd or Dork. I love being a geek.. it's who I am.

i'm glad that there are people who don't think of being a nerd, geek, or dork as a bad thing. it's just us!
though there are lot's of people in the world, to make things simple some people like to categorize.
we just happen to fall into the same category that nerds, geeks, and/or dorks are in.
i'm proud of that.

WillEagle

I sell computers and other computer related products at work and somebody asked me if I was a geek. I said no thats Best Buy! lol I do get called a nerd because of the things I like, and I don't care what somebody calls me as long as the wife calls me for dinner!
And I would call myself a Trekkie. 

X

I'm laughing at all of this on the inside. I don't really care what people call me. Trekkie or trekker doesn't matter. I think I prefer Trekkie. Trekker seems to be those people that have thin skins and want a reason to get offended by a word.

I'd get more offended being called a geek, considering where that word comes from. Not that I've ever been offended by any name someone called me. Even those they called me to insult me. I just don't think anyone has or needs that kind of power over me. While I'm not easily offended by any of that, I have learned that a punch to the face when someone is trying to be intentionally insulting does wonders in correcting bad behavior.

Rico

I'm very much with Kenny and his view of all this.  I've always considered myself a Trekkie - and definitely a geek and even a nerd at times.  In the end the words are only that - just words.

M-5

I call myself a Trekker, but most call me Nerd!  It doesn't really matter to me.  I'm a SciFi fan.

spaltor

I remember a teacher (!) telling me once that I should call myself a "Trekker" because "Trekkie" was derogatory.  Huh?  I much prefer Trekkie, but I'm not going to get in any fights over it.  ;)  But I'm also totally fine with being called a nerd or a geek.  I consider it a badge of honor rather than an insult.

moyer777

I don't care what anyone calls me, just don't call me late to dinner.  ;)

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

wraith1701

Quote from: moyer777 on February 28, 2011, 08:57:59 AM
I don't care what anyone calls me, just don't call me late to dinner.  ;)

LOL :)

For a while, I preferred "Trekker" to "Trekkie."  But now, the word "Trekker" sounds kind of fake & trendy to me... Like a marketer's attempt to re-define Trek fandom & make it New or Fresh.  Like Mountain Dew EXTREME, or something.

My name is Eric, and I'm a Trekkie, among many other things. :)