Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

"Wonder Woman" TV series - NBC

Started by Rico, January 22, 2011, 07:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

Scoop: TV's New Wonder Woman Is Friday Night Lights' Adrianne Palicki
by Matt Webb Mitovich and Nellie Andreeva

Here's a piece of casting news that can only — especially given the situation — be described as super: Friday Night Lights beauty Adrianne Palicki has been tapped to star as Wonder Woman in the much-talked about pilot for NBC, TVLine has learned.

Executive-produced and penned by veteran small-screen auteur David E. Kelley (Boston Legal, Ally McBeal), TV's new Wonder Woman would actually have Palicki playing no less than three "roles":
• The titular crimefighter, "reinvented" here as an L.A.-based vigilante
• Alter ego No. 1: Diana Themyscira, a mega-billionaire CEO
• Alter ego No. 2: Diana's "plain Jane" assistant, Diana Prince. (Good luck with that one, makeup and wardrobe!)

Other key players to be cast for Wonder Woman include Steve Trevor (now a lawyer for the Justice Department and a onetime paramour of Diana T.'s); Themyscira Industries' press secretary, Mindy; and Veronica Cale, an eeeevil scientist poised to be WW's primary adversary.

But back to Palicki: In addition to of course her run as Tyra on the acclaimed Friday Night Lights, this past fall she was one of two female leads on Fox's lauded but short-lived Lonestar drama. Most recently, she (quite colorfully) guest-starred on Criminal Minds.

I'll also point out that, according to IMDb as well as the way she towered over me at TCA, Palicki is 5-foot-11, making her sufficiently "Amazonian" in presence.

Kelley and Bill D'Elia (Boston Legal) are also executive producers on Wonder Woman, while Jeffrey Reiner (The Event) will direct the pilot.

Rico

X

I like it. I've seen her before in the Aquaman pilot and I think she's going to do great.

X

Also, at 5'11, she's pretty close WW, who's clocked in at the same height and then given a few more inches because of the heel boots.

Ktrek

I think she's real cute and a talented actress, but I don't believe she has the body for Wonder Woman. So you can count me in the dissapointed crowd also.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Bromptonboy

....I think I can drag myself to the TV to watch her....(she reminds me of Rebecca Romijn)
Pete

X

Quote from: Ktrek on February 16, 2011, 07:32:48 PM
I think she's real cute and a talented actress, but I don't believe she has the body for Wonder Woman. So you can count me in the dissapointed crowd also.

Kevin
Kevin, you should take a look at the current wonder woman comic. She has a pretty similar build.

Rico

I'm sure I'll still watch the series and give it a try.  I've seen this actress they picked in a few things - she was in the movie "Legion."  But I still would have preferred Bridget, who I've seen do a lot of action and some very dramatic stuff too.  Not to mention I think she has the more classic Wonder Woman look that I prefer.

X

Quote from: Rico on February 17, 2011, 09:01:00 AM
I'm sure I'll still watch the series and give it a try.  I've seen this actress they picked in a few things - she was in the movie "Legion."  But I still would have preferred Bridget, who I've seen do a lot of action and some very dramatic stuff too.  Not to mention I think she has the more classic Wonder Woman look that I prefer.
I can understand that. Bridget was always too short, too thin, and not exotic for my idea of Wonder Woman.

Rico

We'll see how this series goes.  Genre TV has not had a lot of success the last few years.

QuadShot

Doesn't bode well that it's going to be on NBC, that's for sure.

WillEagle

From an earlier post."Reinvented LA based vigilante." Excuse me? That makes me a little nervous. She better have the costume old or new, super powers, braclets, invisible jet, you know what I mean. Please! I have never seen Palicki in anything that I know of, so the jury is still out on that choice. I don't care that it is on NBC just don't put in on Tuesday or Thursday. Also, I have the Aquman and Wonder Woman pilots on a DC blu-ray I bought. I believe it was Batman: Under The Red Hood I haven't watched either one yet but the Wonder Woman is from long ago. I did watch the first few minutes on the Wonder Woman and I had forgotten that it took place during WWII. Also when they were running around Paradise Island "Hello, Sweet Susan!!"

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: QuadShot on February 17, 2011, 11:45:52 AM

Honestly you can say that about any network.. all of the networks at one time or another has mishandled some of our favorite shows.

Rico

Quote from: Geekyfanboy on February 17, 2011, 03:52:43 PM
Quote from: QuadShot on February 17, 2011, 11:45:52 AM

Honestly you can say that about any network.. all of the networks at one time or another has mishandled some of our favorite shows.

Kind of true, but I would put both NBC & Fox at the top of that list.

X

Fox is higher for me, here's why: Dollhouse, Terminator, John Doe, Adventures of Brisco Country Jr, Millennium, Brimstone, Werewolf, Tru Calling, Futurama, Lone Gunmen, Wonderfalls, Firefly, Space Above and Beyond, and Sliders.

Sci-fi hasn't met a sci-fi show that they didn't kill. Or in the case of X-Files, milked it to death.