• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Spielberg's TV series Terra Nova Series coming this fall

Started by Danieru_x, January 12, 2011, 07:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Dangelus

Bryancd

QuadShot

Scott, how did you see the pilot already? And what was so bad about it?

Rico

I think there was talk of having this pilot air months before the series.  But they decided to hold off "officially airing" it.  I'm guessing a copy slipped out on to the net - somehow.  Might not even be the finished version.

turtlesrock

did anyone else think about the mysterious "terra nova" colony in ST: Enterprise? :laugh:

Scott

It didn't slip online. I can't say how I saw it.

It wasn't bad. I just didn't like the idea. To me, it seemed like a bad idea.
- Scott Hough

The Vintage Gamers

Geekyfanboy

They previewed the pilot at SDCC.. I missed it. But I've heard good things about it.

moyer777

Did anyone else watch Terra Nova last night?

IT WAS AWESOME!  I'm really looking forward to this series. 

The characters were solid, very blade runnerish to begin with in the scenes.  But the acting was great and the plot really got you going.  I think I will really like this one.  Now let's hope they don't cancel it before they get into a groove.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

QuadShot

Rick,
No, I have it recorded but didn't get a chance to watch it last night. Won't be able to until tomorrow actually. And by the way...what does "blad runnerish to begin with in the scenes" mean? :)

billybob476

moyer777

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

M-5

Terra Nova was great!  Looking forward to next week's episode.

X

i enjoyed it almost as much as the House season opener

ElfManDan

I know I'm probably gonna be in the minority here, but I hated it. Just did not like the main character or the family. The only thing I liked is the concept and the leader at Terra Nova. I watched the whole thing, but I really had given up on the show in the first 10 to 15 minutes. I just could not get into it and I could not bring myself to like it.

I thought it was overly complex, which I'm tired of seeing in high concept shows which are already complex on there own. It was so predictable in the bad way. Also overly dramatized in the wrong ways.

Here's my problems...
[spoiler]What was the whole thing at the beginning with him a bad guy for caring about his family? That was a pointless few scenes. That just kinda was forgotten about later on. I had the discussion with a friend a few days ago about over population and limiting pop size and frankly I agree with the government trying to limit it. So it doesn't make me sympathetic with the main character.

I just felt like it was an over done drama portion they threw in there. And the little girl had absolutely no purpose in this show beyond that. So right off I didn't really like him or the family who were way under developed and cardboard, just doing what average TV show characters do. Screw that, I want something new.

The whole him a prisoner thing was not needed either, extra pointless drama. There was a perfect point for drama just by pure fact of them going back in time. I think there is enough story just in that alone. They should have focused more on just them leaving the world behind and entering this new world. That was grazed over so little.

And it just didn't get any better after that to me. And frankly I lost interest and was hoping they'd all die at the end of the episode. Least if the son died that would have been interesting to me. Be a better story direction than they already are going.[/spoiler]

I'm sorry to rant about it when all you guys seem to enjoy it, but I just didn't like it. I'm so tired of crappy unoriginal, poorly developed shows. Is this where the new genre bar is at. What about the great shows like Farscape and Firefly. This is what we get now?! I don't know what it is about TV for me now, but I just do not have time for this stuff. If it's not an amazing show I don't see the point in watching it.

So let me know if it gets any better cause I'm not watching anymore unless it becomes the next Lost or something.