• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

iPad 2

Started by Rico, December 13, 2010, 05:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Well, I thought it might be time to start an iPad 2 thread.  Lots of talk lately online about it.  For everyone getting the first version this Christmas, they may be wanting to upgrade in as little as 2-4 months.  It's expected that Steve Jobs will announce this new version in January.  Production in China seems to be gearing up.  Here's a roundup of some of the "rumors" about this new device I have read:

Dual-cameras (front & back)
Lighter
Higher res. screen
More memory/storage
Faster processor
Ability to stream data over network
Longer battery life
etc.

a few recent articles:
http://www.nydailynews.com/money/2010/12/11/2010-12-11_dualcamera_ipad_on_way__start_lining_up.html

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/technology/ipad-2-to-start-shipping-as-early-as-feb-report_503899.html

P.S.  I think I want one.  :)

Feathers

It's got a lighter in it ? :D

I'm dedicated to my iPhone but I'm still not drawn to the iPad. If it had a keyboard...

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Rico

Quote from: Feathers on December 13, 2010, 06:01:19 AM

I'm dedicated to my iPhone but I'm still not drawn to the iPad. If it had a keyboard...

Oh, I forgot that rumor.  A keyboard dock for it and also a USB attachment that allows external memory card reading, webcam support, etc.

And it will butter your toast too!  ;)

X

Quote from: Rico on December 13, 2010, 06:15:47 AM

Oh, I forgot that rumor.  A keyboard dock for it and also a USB attachment that allows external memory card reading, webcam support, etc.

And it will butter your toast too!  ;)
I don't think Apple will ever allow for USB drives. It makes the varying memory size on the models obsolete.

Jobydrone

Acutally "lighter" is the number one feature that would appeal to me.  The thing is just a touch too heavy to comfortably hold up without propping for long periods.  I recently held one of the new Kindles and that thing was like a feather comparitively.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bryancd

Mac World in Jan. will likely be the intriduction, with versions for sale in the Spring. It's gonna' be great!

Rico

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on December 13, 2010, 06:45:45 AM
Acutally "lighter" is the number one feature that would appeal to me.  The thing is just a touch too heavy to comfortably hold up without propping for long periods.  I recently held one of the new Kindles and that thing was like a feather comparitively.

For straight book reading, I still think the Kindle is awesome and the best at that.  Lynn really loves hers.  I think the trick for Apple with the iPad is to keep it doing what it does best.  Simple web browsing, email, video playing, magazines/newspapers, etc.  But I'd love to see the cameras added.  That for me is the number one addition to kick it over into almost a must buy.  Oh, I'd like better sound from it too.

Bryancd

Don't foget games as well.

Rico

Quote from: Bryancd on December 13, 2010, 07:09:34 AM
Don't foget games as well.

True, but I personally don't see it as much of a gaming platform.  At least for me.  I've never been much into "casual" games.  And it doesn't have the horsepower or control interface to do the more intense stuff - or memory for that matter.  Maybe when iPad 5 comes out and it can read my mind, then I'll game on it.  ;)

Jobydrone

Gaming is still in it's infancy on the iPad. I personally can't wait for more substantial releases to drop for the platform. For now I agree with Rico, there's nothing of substance there yet beyond quick casual diversions.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

KingIsaacLinksr

There are some pretty intense games available for the iPhone 4/iPad these days...Using the Unreal engine. 

@Feathers, that's why you use a bluetooth keyboard with it ;)

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

KingIsaacLinksr

Oh, I forgot that rumor.  A keyboard dock for it and also a USB attachment that allows external memory card reading, webcam support, etc.

Webcam support is useless with the front facing camera.  Or were you being ironic, I can't tell.  :P

King

Jobydrone

Quote from: Kingisaaclinksr on December 13, 2010, 09:26:44 AM
There are some pretty intense games available for the iPhone 4/iPad these days...Using the Unreal engine. 
King

I haven't found anything close to as engaging as even some of the more mediocre titles on the PSP or DS.  Graphics are there, what's missing are decent controls and good franchises.  I don't understand why there hasn't been a decent RPG or Diablo style adventure game on the platform yet, for example.  Seems like everyone wants to cash in for the quick buck with cheap, simple ports.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on December 13, 2010, 09:36:55 AM
Quote from: Kingisaaclinksr on December 13, 2010, 09:26:44 AM
King

I haven't found anything close to as engaging as even some of the more mediocre titles on the PSP or DS.  Graphics are there, what's missing are decent controls and good franchises.  I don't understand why there hasn't been a decent RPG or Diablo style adventure game on the platform yet, for example.  Seems like everyone wants to cash in for the quick buck with cheap, simple ports.

None of them want to bother, they don't believe the platform is worth the cost.  Which is silly as there are more iPhones than there are DSes. 

King

Rico

Quote from: Kingisaaclinksr on December 13, 2010, 09:28:03 AM

Webcam support is useless with the front facing camera.  Or were you being ironic, I can't tell.  :P

King

Not being ironic or is it useless.  Many separate webcams will have better resolution.  Keep in mind, ALL of these features/options are just rumors for now.