News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Hello from the frozen North

Started by johnsemlak, August 08, 2006, 01:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnsemlak

Greetings Trek lovers.

I'm an American living Moscow Russia.  I've been here for over 10 years so my access to trek has been relatively limited over the last few years, though I'm beginning to fill up my DVD collections.  (I still haven't seen the final season of DS9!  so pls no spoilers ;))

I've started following the podcasts recently and have really enjoyed them so far.  I've concentrated on the TNG and the DS9 related ones from the archives (reflecting my series preference) but I'm open to all forms of Trek and I'll be following all the podcasts from now on.

Rico

Welcome aboard John.  Must be interesting living over there.  Is that due to business or other reasons?  Another member here (markinro) spent some time in Russia I think - but not ten years.  Glad you have been enjoying the podcasts.  If you ever get chance, I'd love to see some pictures from the area where you live, etc.

johnsemlak

Quote from: Rico on August 08, 2006, 02:19:46 PM
Welcome aboard John.  Must be interesting living over there.  Is that due to business or other reasons? 
short answer is I got married here and more or less stayed.

Another member here (markinro) spent some time in Russia I think - but not ten years.  Glad you have been enjoying the podcasts.  If you ever get chance, I'd love to see some pictures from the area where you live, etc.

I'll try to post some eventually.  Because I've lived here for so long, most of the photos I've taken here were done a while back on 'pre-digital technology' :)  I've been meaning to scan a lot of my favorites for a while.

Geekyfanboy

Welcome to the group... I've always wanted to go to Russia. They have some awesome architecture, so much history there. Glad you can join our little piece of Trek World.

Jobydrone

Does TV suck in Russia?  You guys get HBO or Sci Fi channel there?  I'd live pretty much anywhere as long as I can get digital cable ;)
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

johnsemlak

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on August 09, 2006, 09:02:20 PM
Does TV suck in Russia?  You guys get HBO or Sci Fi channel there?  I'd live pretty much anywhere as long as I can get digital cable ;)

Actually, I watch tv so little here I can't say whether it sucks or not :), but I would say it isn't nearly up to the standards that you'd get in the US.

The t.v. culture that we have in the States just isn't present here--in the US people have favorite tv shows that they follow every week, and in between discuss wiht their friends.  There are very few tv shows here that have the mass popularity that say, Desperate Housewives, does for example. 

US tv shows are shown here--some that I can think of are Desperate Housewives actually, CSI (LV and Miami), ER, Law and Order, the Simpsons, Friends.  They're always shown later than in the US, and in very different schedules (Desperate Housewives was first shown on last year on Sundays in 4-hour blocks of back-to-back-to-back episodes.

I watch very little of the stuff here because I prefer to watch the American stuff in English.  I pretty much only watch tv shows on DVD or via the internet now.

Riskygodfather

That's cool. It must be cool living in Russia. Anyway welcome aboard.
"Do a barrel roll" - Peppy, StarFox 64
"Coincidence... I think NOT!" - Bear, Polkadot Shorts
"If at first you don't succeed... you fail" -Portal preview

Admiral Anthony Out

Picard_delta_5

welcome aboard... glad to see another trek fan here... and a TNG fan at that...  do they show boston legal in russia? if they dont, u really do have to get it on dvd... (sry, but im obsessed)
Star Trek Will Rise Again

Jen

Hi John. Welcome to the forums.  :)
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

comix

welcome John! this is a wonderful forum.  :D
I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)