• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Slight forum outage tonight...

Started by Rico, December 06, 2010, 05:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Well, I lost just a tiny bit of respect for Dreamhost tonight.  Or at least their tech support folks.  Not to get too technical but the forum went down and when I contacted support they told me to up my private server resources because the MySQL database was running out of memory.  Now, this should NEVER happen with such a small forum.  Plus if I had upped the resources that immediately costs me more money per month.  So, I sent a request in to reboot the server and behold, the forum is back up!  This tech guy was making it sound like I permanently needed to allocate more memory.  Now, why would I need to do that??  It's not like 1000 new members just joined.  Anyway, hopefully this was just a little glitch.  I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Rico

Oh, also, if everyone could please clear out their old PM's, that would be great! 

- thanks!

Geekyfanboy

Glad things are working again.. there was a slight panic happening on tweeter :) But we can all breath again.

Rico

Just a little glitch.  Hopefully all is well now. 

Dangelus

Isn't that the first rule of tech support? Blame the customer! :)

Glad everything is ok.

Bromptonboy

They are probably not clearing out the tempdb - or probably not dumping the DB enough.  Easier to make you pay for an expansion then to deal with the issue!
Pete

Rico

Quote from: Bromptonboy on December 07, 2010, 03:57:23 AM
They are probably not clearing out the tempdb - or probably not dumping the DB enough.  Easier to make you pay for an expansion then to deal with the issue!

Yeah, I know.  This guy just immediately wanted me to up my resource setting (i.e. spend more money).  I tried to tell him that things have been running fine.  He never even suggested a server reset.  As we were live chatting, I sent a request in on my own to reset the server and within a minute all was fine.  I guess tech support folks are hard to come by these days.  ;)

Feathers

As long as it wasn't caused by 'John' hacking the site to get you to buy those Chinese domains.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Dangelus on December 07, 2010, 03:35:40 AM
Isn't that the first rule of tech support? Blame the customer! :)

Glad everything is ok.

Oh don't get me started on companies that blame the customer.....*twitch*

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr