• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Sam & lightcycle

Started by Rico, December 02, 2010, 06:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Blackride

just one minor correction. Isn't that a Hot Toys product not Sideshow?

Also this is off topic but, I used to be a huge 12" collector. I had well over 200 sideshow and Dragon figures and over 75 Hot Toys. Just recently I sold them all off on Ebay. I got sick of how Sideshow was doing business. Their prices have gone up dramatically over the past 5 years and they are releasing smaller and smaller amounts of limited ed figures. I was a preferred customer with them so I got first shot at them but it got to be silly. They were releasing so many items so quickly it was killing me! I am predicting that they are going to eventually collapse the 12" figure market by saturating it with too many items. Ok I am done ranting...

Btw this has nothing to do with to coolness of their figures at all as they make top notch stuff.
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Rico

I sometimes refer to collectibles by the distributor since that is how you get the item.  They are sometimes exclusive to Sideshow too, so it's the only place to get them if you want an item.  I'll agree they have raised prices a pretty good amount.  As I talked about on the collectible podcast, I also used to get the 12" Star Wars line of figures but stopped as the prices neared (and sometimes exceeded) $100 per figure.  The collectible market and business is tricky.  I don't buy as much anymore, but I like to keep up on what's out there.  And like you said, I still think you can get some very nice stuff from Sideshow.

jedijeff

Cool looking collectible, I am sure it will look nice in peoples collections. Agree with the Sentiments about Sideshow, the figures got a bit pricey for me as well. Also I found them hard to get, as for me to order from the Sideshow site, the shipping is very expensive, and getting them at online dealers is tough as some have and some don't. Also after the released the Stormtrooper, they sort of flooded the market with different versions, and was sort of confusing as they all came out so quickly or with not a lot of fanfare.

Actually a few weeks ago I was at a Toy Show, one of the dealers was selling Stormtroopers for 40 dollars. I already had one and pointed out to a fellow collector, we turned our back for a minute and when we turned around again, they were gone. Sort of realized that was a great price and should have picked it up. You snooze you lose, I always  seem to get caught in that  ;D