• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

First Moon Walk

Started by Geekyfanboy, July 20, 2010, 12:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

Today July 20th is the 41st anniversary of the Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin landing and walking on the Moon for the very first time. It's kind of sad that we haven't advanced much further in those 41 years.

QuadShot

I saw a photo yesterday (can't remember where though) where you could see the actual results on the moon from their footsteps (photo was taken from space I believe).  Pretty cool stuff.  It is pretty sad that we haven't been back. Perhaps that's because the Transformers have a hidden base up there and we accidently stumbled on it 41 years ago and got in trouble? Of course, I have been accused of having a pretty wild imagination...or do I??? :)

Blackride

Quote from: QuadShot on July 20, 2010, 12:38:01 PM
I saw a photo yesterday (can't remember where though) where you could see the actual results on the moon from their footsteps (photo was taken from space I believe).  Pretty cool stuff.  It is pretty sad that we haven't been back. Perhaps that's because the Transformers have a hidden base up there and we accidently stumbled on it 41 years ago and got in trouble? Of course, I have been accused of having a pretty wild imagination...or do I??? :)

I would love to see those photos.

Kenny, I do agree with you on the surface that it appears we have not made progress, but when digging deeper we are doing some amazing things with new telescopes and the Mars rovers that have been highly successful. I too would like to see a man on Mars but I do not want to sell NASA short on their accomplishments in the last 40 years.

BTW I do have a problem with the presidential administrations (Bush and Obama) killing the shuttle without an immediate replacement. I do not like relying on the Russians for travel to space. This is the first time in history that the US will have NO way to put a man in space.
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Feathers

Quote from: Blackride on July 23, 2010, 04:41:32 AM
This is the first time in history that the US will have NO way to put a man in space.

Really??? I'm pretty sure that this was the case for at least a few years after the founding of the country too.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Blackride

Quote from: Feathers on July 28, 2010, 04:08:41 AM
This is the first time in history that the US will have NO way to put a man in space.

Really??? I'm pretty sure that this was the case for at least a few years after the founding of the country too.

Nice. I meant it in the context of the "space age".
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Rico

I still remember watching this and always will.  An amazing feat, considering the technology of the time.  And still some amazing things in space have happened since then and are still going on.  Maybe not as quick as we would like, but we will get back to the moon - someday.

Bromptonboy

Someone else will beat us to all that Helium-3 on the moon...

Maybe things will change.
Pete

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Feathers on July 28, 2010, 04:08:41 AM

No, no no, you got it all wrong, we had space flight then too.  Its a giant conspiracy that we covered up.  How else do you think we beat you brits?!  :P

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Feathers

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

SC1F1

@Feathers @ Kingisaaclinksr

What about the European Space Agency?