• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Computer Blu-Ray Drives X speeds

Started by Java The Hut, May 10, 2010, 05:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Java The Hut

Hi all !

I'm looking to piece together a Home theater computer (HTPC) over the next few mo, and want to get a blu ray reader only drive.
and was wondering what is the difference in say a 4x  vs  8x drive,  I would think the spin speed would have to be fixed or play back of audio/video would not sound/look right

Thanks
~Java
I has a web-sight AGAIN
www.scifi-autograph.com
showcasing my SciFi Autograph collection

Rico

Well, once it gets into play mode the speed is fixed (unless you fast forward, etc.).  A faster drive should provide quicker access to menus, scenes and so on - everything else being equal.  Just stick to a name brand and you should do fine.  I've actually been looking at adding one to my PC.

like this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106326&cm_re=blu-ray_drive-_-27-106-326-_-Product

Java The Hut

Thanks for the info Rico,   Fry's looks to have a good deal, Im going to go check it out this weekend

I has a web-sight AGAIN
www.scifi-autograph.com

Geekyfanboy

Wow.. Java.. thanks for the heads up.. I need a new DVD burner/player... might as well get a blu-ray one.

Java The Hut

newegg now has this drive at the same price with free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151199&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL052810&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL052810-_-EMC-052810-Index-_-BluRayDrives-_-27151199-LM3A

Just a heads up if you buy ,this is being sold as a OEM part meaning you only get the Drive ONLY
NO cables
NO mounting screws
NO software
windows media player WILL NOT play blu-ray disks you will need some 3rd party software like power dvd or other....
I has a web-sight AGAIN
www.scifi-autograph.com

Rico

The Lite-On brand one in my link above does come with software - Power DVD.