• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Recording Skype?

Started by Rico, April 01, 2010, 07:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stonut

Thanks again Dan all this info will hopefully make me sound better,it's nice have tech savvy friends

billybob476

Ressurecting this old thread. I used the free version of AudioHijack on my MacBook to capture clips for the last guest 'cast I did, it was the best solution I came across. I may be investing in the paid version!

Jen and Rick: Do you guys have XLR mics going into your mixers? If I remeber right Jen was using a Samson USB mic to podcast initially.

moyer777

I have XLRs going in to and Alesis mixer that is USB. 

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Rico

My mixer is not USB, it's analog.  And I usually just still use a two PC setup to record Skype.  Callgraph for one PC setup's.

QuadShot

Quote from: billybob476 on March 06, 2012, 08:10:38 AM
Ressurecting this old thread. I used the free version of AudioHijack on my MacBook to capture clips for the last guest 'cast I did, it was the best solution I came across. I may be investing in the paid version!

Jen and Rick: Do you guys have XLR mics going into your mixers? If I remeber right Jen was using a Samson USB mic to podcast initially.

I use an Skype program called Call Recorder (you can get it through the Skype program for Mac), and it works well. I did try using Audio Hijack and it works very well too. So either are a good bet.

Meds

I gave Rico's suggestion a go, its Call Graph and i was really rather impressed with it. The recording is in stereo and it records the left and right different. EG Left the caller, right the listener.

billybob476

I messed with SoundFlower (http://cycling74.com/soundflower-landing-page/) when I was doing my last guest 'cast but wasn't entirely successful. It reroutes all a mac's system audio through a virtual device which you can record from (kind of like the USB mixers are doing). I'm going to give it another go since I'm starting to get a better handle on how audio runs under OSX.

billybob476

Tried the Soundflower approach again. These instructions http://www.lockergnome.com/media/2012/03/08/how-to-set-up-soundflower-for-audio-recording/ under the heading "Add Both Your Microphone and System Audio to the Soundflower " got me up and running quickly.

It seems like the small LineIn app that you run takes the place of a hardware mixer. Now I route my MacBook's system audio and my Yeti USB mic into the common soundFlower virtual interface which lets me play and record audio real time. The same would work for Skype, pulling the conversation from the system audio and my end directly from the mic.

Not a bad little Mac app.

Rico

Joe,

You could always just Skype on your PC or iPad and pipe the audio out from that to your iMac.

billybob476

Quote from: Rico on March 16, 2012, 08:35:32 AM
Joe,

You could always just Skype on your PC or iPad and pipe the audio out from that to your iMac.

I could...honestly I'm not sure why but I'm determined to have a one-PC solution :) 

This is more to capture system audio then for Skype. The fact it works for that is a nice bonus. I'm also just enjoying messing around with different solutions. It's amazing how convoluted it is to record system audio on a Mac. On most PC's there's just a "What you hear" input option (though that wouldn't take into account a USB mic).

Rico

I think one of the reason recording "What you hear" is not always easy on any computer is copyright rules.  They don't want to make it easy to do that.  Of course, these days that only keeps out the non-techie, non-geeks - and even those people know someone who is good at this stuff to make it work.  :)

Dangelus

Quote from: Rico on March 16, 2012, 08:45:57 AM
I think one of the reason recording "What you hear" is not always easy on any computer is copyright rules.  They don't want to make it easy to do that.  Of course, these days that only keeps out the non-techie, non-geeks - and even those people know someone who is good at this stuff to make it work.  :)

This could be why it is disabled by default on Windows 7 but pretty easily to re-activate.

Dangelus

Quote from: billybob476 on March 16, 2012, 08:40:43 AM
Quote from: Rico on March 16, 2012, 08:35:32 AM
Joe,

I could...honestly I'm not sure why but I'm determined to have a one-PC solution :) 

This is more to capture system audio then for Skype. The fact it works for that is a nice bonus. I'm also just enjoying messing around with different solutions. It's amazing how convoluted it is to record system audio on a Mac. On most PC's there's just a "What you hear" input option (though that wouldn't take into account a USB mic).

You can pipe in your USB mic (at least in Win7) by checking the "monitor this device" setting. This will then add it to the "stereo mix" when this is enabled.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/39532/how-to-enable-stereo-mix-in-windows-7-to-record-audio/