• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Recording Skype?

Started by Rico, April 01, 2010, 07:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dangelus

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on September 26, 2011, 08:10:09 AM
You cam record skype calls through adobe audition??? How?

I think Rick is using a USB mixer and feeding it in from there?

billybob476

Quote from: Dangelus on September 26, 2011, 09:38:39 AM
Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on September 26, 2011, 08:10:09 AM
You cam record skype calls through adobe audition??? How?

I think Rick is using a USB mixer and feeding it in from there?

Wouldn't you need a second machine to do it that way?

moyer777

nope!  Here is how it works...

The USB interface on my Alesis Multimix8usbFX board allows me to hear all the sounds on my computer through my headphones while recording only what comes through the input chans on the board.  This allows me to listen to what I have already recorded or a song in ITunes and play or sing along with the track. My voice shows up but not the track on the recording.   When I click the button on the board called 2TRKS/USB to main, it feeds all sounds that the computer makes through my board and into Adobe Audition.  Then it records whoever is on skype, while recording us on the inputs as well. 

Did any of that make sense?  Let's hear it for multi track recording!  WHooo.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Rico

Meds

No idea what you just said there Rick but thanks anyway :D

QuadShot

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on September 26, 2011, 01:34:52 PM
No idea what you just said thre Rick but thanks anyway :D
Oh c'mon Meds. It's pretty simple. Here's what I heard Rick say..."blah, yadda, yaddayadda. Boom, shakalaka, sisboom, zippity do da".  Makes perfect sense to me! :)

Meds

Dangelus

I find it fascinating. Rick maybe you should do a few tutorial videos one day I think many would find it useful. :)

Meds

I second that because I'm thinking of getting a mixer and I'm bloody useless lol

stonut

Quote from: QuadShot on September 26, 2011, 01:52:56 PM
Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on September 26, 2011, 01:34:52 PM
No idea what you just said thre Rick but thanks anyway :D
Oh c'mon Meds. It's pretty simple. Here's what I heard Rick say..."blah, yadda, yaddayadda. Boom, shakalaka, sisboom, zippity do da".  Makes perfect sense to me! :)

Oh well when you put it like that it all makes sense

moyer777

Great idea.  I will do just that.  Now to clean up my work station so that you can't see what a pig I live like around my computer.  ;)

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Jen

Quote from: moyer777 on September 26, 2011, 09:54:44 AM
nope!  Here is how it works...

The USB interface on my Alesis Multimix8usbFX board allows me to hear all the sounds on my computer through my headphones while recording only what comes through the input chans on the board.  This allows me to listen to what I have already recorded or a song in ITunes and play or sing along with the track. My voice shows up but not the track on the recording.   When I click the button on the board called 2TRKS/USB to main, it feeds all sounds that the computer makes through my board and into Adobe Audition.  Then it records whoever is on skype, while recording us on the inputs as well. 

Did any of that make sense?  Let's hear it for multi track recording!  WHooo.

I have the same mixer...I should try that. Yes. Your tutorials have helped me figure that board in the past. A video demonstration of your Skype recording technique would be most helpful. :D
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Dangelus

Ok so I'm going to need to record Skype very soon as part of upcoming podcasts. I started looking into various methods and apps to use when I came across a very simple way of doing it.

If you use Windows you can feed your system sounds into an audio recorder. There is a little tweaking involved in Windows 7 as the system "Stereo Mix" is turned off by default but once activated it acts as an input device.

I have tried it with (and the guide uses) Adobe Audition 3 as this app is capable of recording from multiple sources simultaneously which would be required to record Skype and your own mic separately. I'm not sure Audacity can do this.

So basically you setup 2 tracks recording, one being your mic and the other your computer sounds in a stereo mix. So what you end up with is your voice on a separate track and the other persons Skype conversation in the other. Very handy for editing.

Anyway, these YouTube videos probably explain it a lot better than me:

[embed=425,349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wDenD-IKNo[/embed]

[embed=425,349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAJ9rXepKZc[/embed]

stonut

Nice one Dan I now need to find adobe audition three

Dangelus

Quote from: stonut on November 14, 2011, 12:45:45 PM
Nice one Dan I now need to find adobe audition three

If you set up your mic in properties to "listen to this device" it will add its input to the sound mix also which means everything would be recorded in one track. This means you could use audacity to record as it can only use one device at a time. The downside is you can't split your voice from the other party on Skype in the recording.

Failing that I think the freeware app "Kristal Audio Engine" is capable of multi device recording but I haven't tried it.