• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

So, are you having a boy or a girl?

Started by Jen, March 20, 2010, 06:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jen

Many of you may know I'm expecting a baby (I Tweet about it enough and it probably comes up way too often in our Anomaly episodes :D ).

I've been getting unsolicated predictions since I felt the first wave of morning sickness: "Oh, you're definitely having a boy. They always make you sicker."   "You're carrying low that means you're baby is a boy." "If your baby kicks alot that means it's a boy." Yadda yadda yadda.

Even Meds joined in. LOL, and his prediction was correct (you Jedi you). But so were the zillion other people who all said the same thing.  Is "you're having a boy" the default prediction? :D

I'm about five months along now and last week Dave and I found out, via ultra sound, that yes, I am indeed having a boy. Dave has maintained that he would be happy with a daughter or son but I can tell he's very pleased that its a boy.  No we're not naming him "Luke", "Jean-Luc", "Wil", "Sheldon", "Mal" or anything else geeky. :D  I'm in heavy negotiations right now with my husband, who dislikes every name I've come up with thus far. He even shot down the name "N'vall". :D I'm kidding of course, I would never suggest that we name our kid after Sevryll's son. ::)

Weird things keep happening to me during this time, that no one mentioned would happen.

1. I'm scatter-brained. I can't remember anything (I've been eating more foods with iron in them and that seems to be helping)

2. My hip went out and I had to see a physical therapist to correct the issue. What the heck? LOL, I've been fairly athletic my whole life and have never had so many aches and pains. Got that straightened out for the most part.

3. I can cry at the drop of a hat (which is NOT the norm for me). I told Dave we were not watching any more depressing movies. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button had me sobbing last night.  :'(

4. I can't seem to get comfortable at night.  You're suppose to sleep on your left side (to improve circulation and nutrients to the baby). Yeah. My left hip is the one that has gone out so, of course I can't sleep very long on that side.

5. I can eat any acidic food you put in front of me, but BANANAS, of all things, give me heart burn. Potassium is a good thing, but I guess I have to get that vitamin from another food.

6. People stare at me in public. Creepy.  :dry

7. In the halls at work, my co-worker's eyes go first to my belly then to my face. I'm not that big right now. I've been told by the same people they couldn't even tell I was pregnant until I turned sideways. What the heck?

8. People feel it's okay to lay hands on my belly, which seems to be a side effect of being pregnant. COMPLETE strangers think it's totally cool to touch me.  :dry  Angela warned me that would happen...but that was the only warning I got. :D

So anyway that's my report. It's a boy. Pregnancy makes me cry, it also causes me to forget my brain. I now hobble like my Nana. Pregnancy apparently encourages people to touch my belly and it keeps me tossing and turning all night. Still, I'm happy and very excited that we're having a "Klingon warrior man child" *as Rick Peete and Rick Moyer have taken to calling my son). :D

Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Rico

Great update Jen.  I remember when Lynn was pregnant with each of our boys and it can be a strange, exciting, weird, happy, and crazy time.  From what I can recall the last trimester (as they like to call it) was probably the best for her, until the last couple of weeks when it's just - "I want this baby out of me."  Although overall she had a fairly normal and easy time of it, relative to some.  No foods seemed to really bother her and she didn't seem to be overly emotional or anything like that.  But, everyone is different and unique in how their body handles it.  For everyone that tells you one thing that "worked" for them, another will tell you something else.  In any case, hang in there and know you have many friends thinking about you and your little boy.  ;)

Meds

Yes i got the sex right ;) but there again my father has been right on every prediction he has given so you never know. Cant wait for jr to arrive, Oooo i have name, hmmmm.

moyer777

I'm so excited that Kaless will be born to your family!  I raise my Batleth high and am excited for (say in Gowron voice)" you're Hoooouuuuuse!"

Yeah, Amy reacted differently to each kid. 

I on the other hand had sympathy pains for her.
well kind of.

Amy and I are so excited for you and Dave.  CONGRATS.

Now, is there anythings you need?  Do you register at places for a baby? 

I wonder if they have baby clone trooper or jedi outfits?

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Ktrek

I'm very happy for you Jen! It's exciting bringing another human being into the world and a little scary too. I'm sure you will make great parents but don't be the least bit surprised if your son doesn't care one wit about your geeky stuff. He will probably want his own identity. :)

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

billybob476

Congrats. I'm really happy for you guys.

Geekyfanboy

Congrats Jen (& Dave).. Thanks for the update..

Have you had his Mediclorian numbers checked.. I heard they can test for that at five months.. :)

Can't wait to see pictures.

Feathers

From what I remember, I coped with all three pregnancies pretty easily...certainly more easily than the few months immediately following :)

Beforehand, I genuinely didn't mind having boys or girls yet when Sam was born, I did find a tear in my eye because I had a son. I don't know what it was, but on some level it seemed to make a difference to me despite what I'd always believed (which isn't intended to diminish my love for my girls in any way!).

One big side benefit to all this, of course, is that total strangers will now stop asking if/when you're going to have children. I don't know about anyone else but I always found that question extremely personal and verging on the rude. I can only imagine what those who can't have children think of it.

The other benefit is that once born, people tend to ask before grabbing your child unlike now.

Enjoy it all (even the strange bits!) - you'll find pretty soon that you'll only have the memory of this phase of his life.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

RickPeete

Jen:

I am so excited for you! I have two girls and a son. My son Ryan was born last and we were praying for #3 child to be a boy. His last name is Lucas -- and yes, I have said every "Luke" quote to him at this point. He loves Star Wars and Star Trek.

Last year on Fathers Day, he got me one of those cards with the sound chip. I forget what the outside cover said but it had Vader on it and when you opened the card, it played Vader saying "I am your Father!". My heart swelled with pride!

So you never know! Your manchild will arrive with a hearty Qa'Pla and killer skills with Audition, Audacity, and touch Telepathy.
:klingon

moyer777

Here here!

or is that hear hear?  :cheers

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Bromptonboy

Congrats Jen!  My wife and I are blessed with 2 children - 9 year old girl, and 7 year old boy.
Pete

jedijeff

Congrats Jen, wish you all the best through the remainder of your pregnancy and for a Healthy Baby boy.

Jen

Thank you for the congrats everyone. :) I will have him tested, Kenny...we're already communicating telepathically. :D

Quote from: Feathers on March 20, 2010, 12:45:07 PM
One big side benefit to all this, of course, is that total strangers will now stop asking if/when you're going to have children. I don't know about anyone else but I always found that question extremely personal and verging on the rude. I can only imagine what those who can't have children think of it.

The other benefit is that once born, people tend to ask before grabbing your child unlike now.

Enjoy it all (even the strange bits!) - you'll find pretty soon that you'll only have the memory of this phase of his life.

I hear ya there. Dave and I have been married for 14 years. We wanted kids but wanted to wait until we were ready (financially and as far as maturity went). People always told us "you're never ready for kids...just have them already." I was harassed ALOT for about 10 years, then people just stopped asking. I think when you are married as long as Dave and I have been married...and you're as old as we are (35 respectively) people probably decide "oh, maybe they can't have children". Not so.  I wanted my child to know we really, really wanted him... and when we made the decision last year to try that was exactly the case. I found a little jumper that says "I was worth the wait". Going to buy it for him to wear out of the hospital. http://www.uncommongoods.com/item/item.jsp?source=family&itemId=13369

I've already bought him these to wear as well. I thought they were AWESOME :D :
http://www.uncommongoods.com/item/item.jsp?source=family&itemId=16193

http://www.uncommongoods.com/item/item.jsp?source=family&itemId=14458

If you guys find any geeky baby stuff, let me know. I'm on the prowl. :)

AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Rico

Sounds like you made the right call to wait Jen.  I've seen too many people have kids that were not ready in any way for them.  Oh, you have to get him one of these to wear:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Science-Uniform-Snapsuit/dp/B002YAWAF2

Jen

Quote from: Rico on March 23, 2010, 10:24:55 AM
Sounds like you made the right call to wait Jen.  I've seen too many people have kids that were not ready in any way for them.  Oh, you have to get him one of these to wear:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Science-Uniform-Snapsuit/dp/B002YAWAF2

AWESOME! Yes...that's a must have. :D Thanks for the link.
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast