• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

A job, but there's a catch: a 1,000-mile commute

Started by Rico, February 23, 2010, 10:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Well, I guess my 720 mile commute is better than 1000 miles.  But this is becoming a bit of a trend.  People working in other states, away from home in order to have a decent job.  I know exactly how these guys feel.  This part of the article really hits home for me:

Now, he says, there's a grueling Monday to Friday work schedule, heading home Friday at 2:40, arriving around 10 p.m., often too wired to sleep. On Saturdays, it's reconnect-with-the-family time. And that can mean more driving: His 15-year-old son's recent choral competition put him on the road five more hours one Saturday.

On Sundays, he heads back at about 1 p.m. — 39 hours after arriving.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100222/ap_on_re_us/us_the1000_mile_commute

billybob476

Yikes, definitely not something people do willingly I''m sure. I've moved twice for work, couldn't imagine commuting quite that much. I know it's tough for you as well Rico.

sheldor

Feathers

I simply can't imagine this. Then again, my country isn't big enough to support it.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

billybob476

lol, just get a job in Scotland! Didn't Top Gear do London to Edinburgh and back on a single tank of gas once?

Feathers

According to Google, one tip of the country to the other is only 836.7 miles. Mind you, it states 15hrs 35mins as required to drive that so I guess I could drive for longer in a smaller country.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Darkmolerman

lol we would have to drive in the water all the way to the big island, and drive to the other side of the chain to get near that
"He can't act out of a cardboard box"- Rick Moyer

"I know the answer now sometimes the doctor must look at this planet and look at it in shame" -Gwen Cooper

Bromptonboy

Pete

Rico

I like the tenacity of these guys.  People are sacrificing a lot these days - and I don't just mean material things obviously.  I am wondering what this shift in lifestyle will do to people over the months and years to come?  Guess I'll find out!

Darkmolerman

My family is doing decently fine but even I am looking for a job, but most business don't know Hawaii has a "Part time job for 15 year old" thing...
"He can't act out of a cardboard box"- Rick Moyer

"I know the answer now sometimes the doctor must look at this planet and look at it in shame" -Gwen Cooper

X

It is at the 800 mile line that I would just fly. I've flown less than 800 miles and the time is worth the costs.

Rico

Quote from: Just X on February 24, 2010, 10:51:54 AM
It is at the 800 mile line that I would just fly. I've flown less than 800 miles and the time is worth the costs.

I'm guessing that's round trip.  One factor is the cities involved.  Some places just don't have great air service.  I've looked into Chicago flights and if I book 3-4 weeks out I can get a round trip to Detroit for about $110.  But, it will take me at least an hour to get O'Hare airport, park, etc.  I need to be there about 90 min. early or so so now that's 2.5 hours, 1 hour'ish flight, and we live an hour from the airport.  So overall, it's not a big time saver.  But it would save some miles on the car and I don't have to drive it - which would be nice one weekend.

X

While I used to love driving, I love flying more and having worked at an airport, I ignore all those arrive early rules and only bring carry ons. I also have airline attire so that I don't need to remove more than ipod, phone, and wallet from my pockets.

I spend less time in airports than most because I preprep. I think it took longer waiting on bags on earlier trips, but I get where you are coming from.

Since you have two homes setup, you wouldn't even need a carry on and if you were on the prefered flyer list, you could do the airport thing in less than 30 minutes.

How much is gas + wear vs the ticket price? Which would be cheaper for you Rico? Is it a noticable difference?

Rico

Even with the cheapest airfares it's more expensive to fly for me.  Got to park too and pay for that.  When all is said and done flying probably about an extra $100 vs. driving.  The biggest benefit is it would let me have a bit more time at home and I don't have to drive 12 hours in one weekend.  Like I said, I'm sure I'll try it sometime.  Just have to schedule it.  I like to fly too and have plenty of air miles to show for it.

billybob476

Interestingly I was just looking at Porter airlines and they have a 'flight pass' for 10 trips (so 5 round trips) from between Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal for 1000 dollars. Fran and i are seriously looking at it.

I wonder if you could find a similar package deal between Detroit and Chicago? Maybe even fly in Friday night and fly out early Monday morning?