• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Happy Valentine's Day!

Started by moyer777, February 14, 2010, 06:49:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moyer777

Hi everybody!

Happy Valentine's Day!
:wub :wub :wub :wub :wub :wub

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Bromptonboy

I actually get a pass on this day - my wife (being from the old country) celebrates the 8th of March - or International Womans Day - which is like Valentines Day and Mothers Day rolled into one.

Cosmonaut, do you celebrate that day in Germany?

Never the less - Thank you Brother Moyer!
Pete

Rico

Yes, Happy Valentine's Day.  Lynn and I have had a nice weekend and went out yesterday to see that new "Valentine's Day" movie which was really good we thought.  Lots of celebs in it and a cute movie.  Very appropriate to see this weekend.

cosmonaut

Quote from: Bromptonboy on February 14, 2010, 06:52:34 AM
I actually get a pass on this day - my wife (being from the old country) celebrates the 8th of March - or International Womans Day - which is like Valentines Day and Mothers Day rolled into one.

Cosmonaut, do you celebrate that day in Germany?

Never the less - Thank you Brother Moyer!

No, not much emphasis on Valentine in Germany, though the industry is always trying. Might get more over time, seems we import some holidays and customs from the US, Halloween is getting stronger, too.
Doesn't have to be a bad thing, but it feels so very artificial.
Another interesting fact: did you know "dating" doesn't exist in Germany? There isn't this firm set of rules you have to follow, we don't even have a proper term to translate it. Wasn't aware of it, but read an article recently, stating that dating in the US is in the decline. (Societies change, I guess? ;) )

International Womens Day was a big thing in the GDR, in west Germany it's more Mothers Day. My mother never gave much for those kind of holidays (she thinks dead flowers once a year is not enough), and neither do I.

But thinking about it, I'd prefer International Womens Day over Mothers Day. A lot. Maybe I should start celebrating. :)

Bromptonboy

Quote from: cosmonaut on February 19, 2010, 09:12:09 AM

International Womens Day was a big thing in the GDR, in west Germany it's more Mothers Day. My mother never gave much for those kind of holidays (she thinks dead flowers once a year is not enough), and neither do I.

But thinking about it, I'd prefer International Womens Day over Mothers Day. A lot. Maybe I should start celebrating. :)

Then allow me to salute you on International Womans Day - the 8th of March - which for you will be in only a few hours.
Pete